Sponsored by:

Rational to go from 458 to Gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:01 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rational to go from 458 to Gt3?

My first sports car was a 991C2S that I thoroughly enjoyed for 32K kms. I cut short that ownership experience only to sort out that F car bug and got my 458 coupe. Two months and 4K kms later it has not disappointed. The highlights being better looks, sound and the attention it gets, mostly positive.

My only complaint in this short period is that 458 feels considerably bigger and less nimble as compared to the 911. Also I feel that F cars are more about status symbol, and for just genuine driving porches are hard to beat. I loved the daily drivability of the 911 and though I can drive the 458 daily, I fail to see the point on a daily commute. I instead rack on the miles on spirited drives at night or outside the city. I have tracked my 458 once, but have found that my spirited drives on public roads were more entertaining.

All along I have had a craving to return to porsche. The 991 turbo tempts me, but without having driven any turbo, I feel N/A engines should be enjoyed while they are still available(which won't be for long I suspect). Also I prefer to get a base turbo with 560 hp (stock) which isn't possible. Don't want ceramics etc..

The Gt3 or RS when it comes out is top on my list on a porsche return. But will it be a step down?

Financially, I could keep the 458 as long as I want or get an F12 (which tempts me only because of its V12 and brutal hp) or get the 458 replacement a couple of years down the road. So is it rational to crave for a 911 in Gt3 form? I prefer to keep only one toy at a time so that I drive the hell out of it.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
todo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going from a 997.1 Turbo Cab to a GT3 (Arrival May 2014) but will keep my custom ordered 458 Spider.

The 458 attracts too much attention and is a whole different car...

The GT3 as a daily driver - I am not not sure if it will attract more attention than the Turbo and I hope it does not - I have ordered white..
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

The fact that you are concerned buying a GT3 will be a step down should answer your question. Stick with the 458.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:25 PM
frayed
Race Car

I would say it will be a step up and a step down. The daily usability and Teutonic feel of the GT3 combined with shattering performance and agility favor of the GT3. The exclusivity, looks, sound, and sense of occasion clearly in the fiat's favor.

I went from BMW, to Porsche, to Ferrari, back to Porsche. For me, the 911 presents the right mix of characteristics I want in a sports car.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The GT3's performance is on par (or even better), despite the GT3's hp deficit. At least you can take that out of the equation in your decision.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe an rs, maybe.

Then the 458 especiale is coming. Hard to be you!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 AM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by aamersa
My first sports car was a 991C2S that I thoroughly enjoyed for 32K kms. I cut short that ownership experience only to sort out that F car bug and got my 458 coupe. Two months and 4K kms later it has not disappointed. The highlights being better looks, sound and the attention it gets, mostly positive.

My only complaint in this short period is that 458 feels considerably bigger and less nimble as compared to the 911. Also I feel that F cars are more about status symbol, and for just genuine driving porches are hard to beat. I loved the daily drivability of the 911 and though I can drive the 458 daily, I fail to see the point on a daily commute. I instead rack on the miles on spirited drives at night or outside the city. I have tracked my 458 once, but have found that my spirited drives on public roads were more entertaining.

All along I have had a craving to return to porsche. The 991 turbo tempts me, but without having driven any turbo, I feel N/A engines should be enjoyed while they are still available(which won't be for long I suspect). Also I prefer to get a base turbo with 560 hp (stock) which isn't possible. Don't want ceramics etc..

The Gt3 or RS when it comes out is top on my list on a porsche return. But will it be a step down?

Financially, I could keep the 458 as long as I want or get an F12 (which tempts me only because of its V12 and brutal hp) or get the 458 replacement a couple of years down the road. So is it rational to crave for a 911 in Gt3 form? I prefer to keep only one toy at a time so that I drive the hell out of it.
i feel the 458 is an excellent daily driver. it rides comfortably like my ex BMW M5, has a very subdued noise level under 4K RPM in wet/sport mode and has a very refined interior. plus of course performance when you want it. yesterday i drove mine for 600km in italy, today it will be milano-zuerich with a detour to grindelwald (i have winter tyres on the car). perfect so far.
on the other side the GT3 (RS) is very different for me, more basic, more racy and less daily driver but also very desirable.
peter
Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it will be a step down. Nor up for that matter. More a step aside. And whether that step aside goes into the right direction for you, is only up to you to decide!

Both (will) offer an amazing spirited drive. Plenty of drama. Excitement. Speed. It all depends which one rocks you boat a little harder.

In EVO's GT3 test, Richard Meaden expressed that he'd rather have the 997 GT3 than the 991 GT3 one. Yet, he also said that he'd rather have the new GT3 than a Ferrari 458 or Nissan GT-R. Or a McLaren 12C. That says something too, doesn't it?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 AM
todo
Intermediate

Being blessed to drive a few top cars over the years ..... I have become a real believer in the DNA of cars. There was a Bentley review I saw (not sure if it was by Richard Harris) where he said that the car feels a lot like Audi and the interior is set like a Audi (not in terms of material but in terms of location os instruments etc) - cars owned by same company VW.
My dealer gave me a Ferrari FF to drive and although the vehicle is fantastic the DNA is very similar to the 458 - similar kind of ECU Tuning, gearbox ...
My 458 is my weekend driver - my Porsche is DD and GT3 will be too...
Once we are in these such high performance numbers it becomes a matter of feel and what you like.
The Porsche is my wife and the Ferrari 458 my Mistress
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todo
Being blessed to drive a few top cars over the years ..... I have become a real believer in the DNA of cars. There was a Bentley review I saw (not sure if it was by Richard Harris) where he said that the car feels a lot like Audi and the interior is set like a Audi (not in terms of material but in terms of location os instruments etc) - cars owned by same company VW.
My dealer gave me a Ferrari FF to drive and although the vehicle is fantastic the DNA is very similar to the 458 - similar kind of ECU Tuning, gearbox ...
My 458 is my weekend driver - my Porsche is DD and GT3 will be too...
Once we are in these such high performance numbers it becomes a matter of feel and what you like.
The Porsche is my wife and the Ferrari 458 my Mistress
We (wife and I) sat in a 458 the other day and just could not get comfortable. So we drove a California. Yes, very different in terms of performance, but still a great sounding car, a Ferrari. Unfortunately, I left deflated. The Chrysler DNA was one of the major drawbacks, it had a radio navigation system like the one in our old minivan. I am a big Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler fan over the years, but they should NOT share any components with a Ferrari.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

If you're not concerned with going to the track with it, get the F12. Might be the last non hybrid and it's the best of the breed so far.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:25 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

aamersa: "The highlights being better looks, sound and the attention it gets, mostly positive.My only complaint in this short period is that 458 feels considerably bigger and less nimble as compared to the 911. Also I feel that F cars are more about status symbol, and for just genuine driving porches are hard to beat. I loved the daily drivability of the 911 and though I can drive the 458 daily, I fail to see the point on a daily commute. All along I have had a craving to return to porsche."

I think you have answered your own question. You obviously enjoy driving the Porsche more, but enjoy
being seen in your Ferrari more. - So keep both. Drive the GT3 Daily and keep the 458 for the special occasions to show it off when you want to be "seen". Any Porsche except the Carrera GT and 918 will
certainly be lower profile cars to the general public both in the attention they get or the "stature"
they confer on the driver - deserved or not. Congratulations - You have the best of both worlds!

aamersa: "Also I prefer to get a base turbo with 560 hp (stock) which isn't possible. Don't want ceramics etc."
I also agree with your comments on the TT vs TTS. I also do not want PCCB or CL wheels of the TTS but do want the added HP & Torque. Shame they don't offer a 991 "TrackPack" Turbo.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

sell the 458 find a good 997.2 RS. I just did that in the last year....couldn't be happier
Old 10-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

So it is true, the grass is always greener on the other side!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
aamersa: "The highlights being better looks, sound and the attention it gets, mostly positive.My only complaint in this short period is that 458 feels considerably bigger and less nimble as compared to the 911. Also I feel that F cars are more about status symbol, and for just genuine driving porches are hard to beat. I loved the daily drivability of the 911 and though I can drive the 458 daily, I fail to see the point on a daily commute. All along I have had a craving to return to porsche."

I think you have answered your own question. You obviously enjoy driving the Porsche more, but enjoy
being seen in your Ferrari more. - So keep both. Drive the GT3 Daily and keep the 458 for the special occasions to show it off when you want to be "seen". Any Porsche except the Carrera GT and 918 will
certainly be lower profile cars to the general public both in the attention they get or the "stature"
they confer on the driver - deserved or not. Congratulations - You have the best of both worlds!

aamersa: "Also I prefer to get a base turbo with 560 hp (stock) which isn't possible. Don't want ceramics etc."
I also agree with your comments on the TT vs TTS. I also do not want PCCB or CL wheels of the TTS but do want the added HP & Torque. Shame they don't offer a 991 "TrackPack" Turbo.
my DD 458 today at susten pass in switzerland. 2450 meters altitude, 4 degrees. even now in the evening i can still hear the 8 cylinders sing. i hope my future GT3 RS will do as well. it will be my drive for special occasions.
peter
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rational to go from 458 to Gt3?