Sponsored by:

Car & Driver instrumented test of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
There's no public road (at least in US) where one can sanely/safely exploit the potential of any of these cars going back 3-4 generations, let alone what's produced today. And as performance and price escalate the downside risk of tracking street cars grows exponentially.
True but there are moments of joy on short sections of road. I have a freeway off-ramp nearby that is fabulous. Corner entry at freeway speeds gives you the opportunity to trail brake into a slightly uphill, decreasing radius corner. This is followed by a constant radius section that opens up into an increasing radius corner exit, followed by a spirited merger (hostile takeover?) into traffic. Little sections like this where you can use the technology make running a car like the GT3 on the street enjoyable and less like taxiing your F18 to work....
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr

For me the GT3 will be a weekend car used for some weekend cruising/dinner out with the wife, spirited drives in less populated areas and some track days (3-5 per year) where I can comfortably drive to about 7-8/10ths. Will I ever get to or want to find the limits of this car, perhaps, but it's not necessary for me but it's nice to know that I have a car that's capable of getting me to within 7-8/10ths of my race car.
Yes, there will be the occasional C&C/car show to share the passion with other car enthusiast...

I am very excited to get this car and all these amazing results are making the wait so much harder..

That's it for me too, although will probably end up with a roll bar and proper seats for those occasional track days....can't own it without some track use
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
But then your track days and street time would be far less fun.
Maybe not. I have no idea what Manifold's driving skill level is, however the bigger the discrepancy between car capability and driver skill, the more boring the ride. Hence the reason miata's are so popular. It's easy to feel like you are maxing the thing out.

Many people won't be used the level of speed in which the GT3 can travel and will mentally set limits far lower. M's have been fun because they seem active at any speed with their heavy feeling handling.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
pretty good considering the 700+hp F12 does it in 11.3 at 132.

and a full sec and 10mph faster than the Carrera.

Nice
It takes a Ferrari .1 second longer to hit that quarter mile, even though its only going slightly faster when it does it? So much for having double the cylinders!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Maybe not. I have no idea what Manifold's driving skill level is, however the bigger the discrepancy between car capability and driver skill, the more boring the ride. Hence the reason miata's are so popular. It's easy to feel like you are maxing the thing out.

Many people won't be used the level of speed in which the GT3 can travel and will mentally set limits far lower. M's have been fun because they seem active at any speed with their heavy feeling handling.
Certainly as the limit increases the involvement may diminish. (PDK (S) is another story as well all know too well). For me my .2 GT3 was a blast on the street whether having too much fun on the back roads or going to the grocery store.

I've owned a couple E46 M3s and several 911s, turbo included, and must say my GT3 was fun all the time. I know where this is going, so I'll say it now. I expect similar fun with PDK S for a variety of reasons.

What I am certain I will love is the feel of the taut chassis, the eagerness to rev, the sound, steering, etc. all those things we all love that do not have to be exploited only on the track to appreciate (yes, full appreciation can be track) I don't care if I am categorized as a wannabe, C&C guy, whatever, (one C&C event in my life btw) I just love hardcore cars and don't live my life by putting people and things in tidy boxes. I love the track and wish I could own a true track car, but that's another story.

^ For what it's worth...
Old 10-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leigh2
That's it for me too, although will probably end up with a roll bar and proper seats for those occasional track days....can't own it without some track use
Peter, I do plan to put a roll bar, the GT2 seats out of my Cayman R and 6 point harnesses in. Safety is paramount and I don't have any reservations about drilling to install a proper bolt-in roll bar like the RSS 931.

Manifold, Make no mistake, this car will be driven as intended on the track even if it is only 3-5 times a year !!

Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Why I don't track street cars anymore.

Of course you can always gut your new GT3 and add fire suppression system, full cage, harnesses, kill switch, fuel cell......

Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer
....Of course you can always gut your new GT3 and add fire suppression system, full cage, harnesses, kill switch, fuel cell......
No need for me, I already have a race car. The GT3 is for the occasional track day when I want a more relaxed experience..

Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

Yes, this is what I was getting at. Fast car means you need to drive it fast to approach its limits, which takes real skill, so most people will be way underdriving it, possibly more than they realize. Maybe driving it 5 to 7 tenths will be more fun than driving it on the street, but I'd certainly find that boring after the initial thrill was gone.

I instruct with PCA, Chin, and other clubs, and my pace is about the same as the faster drivers in similar cars in the upper run groups. So not bad, but well below what you and many others are doing.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
True but there are moments of joy on short sections of road. I have a freeway off-ramp nearby that is fabulous. Corner entry at freeway speeds gives you the opportunity to trail brake into a slightly uphill, decreasing radius corner. This is followed by a constant radius section that opens up into an increasing radius corner exit, followed by a spirited merger (hostile takeover?) into traffic. Little sections like this where you can use the technology make running a car like the GT3 on the street enjoyable and less like taxiing your F18 to work....
Great point. We all have those special turns, sections of road, what-have-you where we find a way to exploit the potential of a car and make the drive memorable. I think looking for those opportunities is one of the big things that distinguishes the enthusiast from the average driver.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-06-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
These blistering performance numbers continue to raise the question in my mind of the proper use of this car. IMO it's pointlessly fast for road use, like at a stallion confined in a small yard.
This applies to many cars on the road today. More of a philosophical question re performance cars than the GT3 in particular.

At the track, it will easily 'win' in every DE run group if the driver is at least average for the run group.
Doubtful.

That means that in higher run groups, driving it at least 8/10ths will mean a blistering pace, with the associated risks, need for skill, and need for real safety equipment (6-pts, possibly halos, roll bar, cage would be preferable but impractical for street use).
Completely agreed. One of the reasons I sold my 997 GT3 after tracking it and building a dedicated track car. But dedicated track cars are a PITA. So I'm going full circle again.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
To answer your question, the car that C & D tested had the following options: PCCB, sound package plus, sport chrono clock, guards red seatbelts, and telephone module. The tires were Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.

Every car magazine has their own testing procedures, as long as they are consistent between different cars. I would never compare objective numbers of the same car from different magazines.

Car and Driver consistently gets some of the lowest acceleration times in the industry, so take the results with that in mind.

Nonetheless, it seems the 991 GT3 is extemely fast (anything under 4 seconds for the sprint to 60-62mph is more than fast enough for me), and I think the PDK is a big part of it. One thing I do like about C & D is that they always do the rolling 5-60 mph test, which is much more repesentative of "real life" accelerating as fast as possible without launch control or manually launching the car by dropping the clutch at high revs. 5-60 mph in 3.9 seconds is DAMN fast for everyday pulling away from a stoplight.

Now I can't wait for Sport Auto to do their supertest on this car so we'll get an indpendent measure of the Ring and Hockenheim laptimes.
Hope its never too late to thank you for posting this information... I understand we may have Sport Auto's numbers before the end of November. But I may have been misinformed.

Originally Posted by kosmo
haha. Youre now banned by Porsche.
Only way out is to buy a 918!
I will always wonder if one of my posts will turn around to bite me in the ace.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

At the track, it will easily 'win' in every DE run group if the driver is at least average for the run group.
OK fine, I'll modify and qualify this statement. The 991 GT3 will be among the fastest cars at DEs, so it'll substantially help drivers in every run group be among the faster cars in their run group, especially in the intermediate and higher run groups where drivers generally leave less on the table.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to throw this thread off-topic, but since the subject of fuel has been discussed briefly, I was wondering: Has there ever been anyone who has ever run a premium "race gas" or high octane race fuel through their street/track car exclusively - i.e. never filled their car from the pump or gas station?

Would it eventually cause engine damage because "aftermarket" fuels may be of lower quality? Or are they better engineered and of a higher quality than you get out of the gas pump?

I know there are many car enthusiasts who concern themselves with who makes the best motor oil, the best brand, the best synthetic, etc... Why not the same concern for fuel? I imagine it would unbelievably expensive to run a car on C16 over 100,000+ miles, but hey, only the best for your baby right?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

my understanding is the car runs best with gas for which it is tuned- DME settings and burning higher octane will not provide any performance benefit and if you do and often can damage the cats.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver instrumented test of GT3