Sponsored by:

Significance of Torque Vectoring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

I don't expect the GT3 to be much like the GT-R overall, and I'd definitely pick the GT3 between the two, but I think the GT3 has definitely moved in the GT-R's direction, and the question now is whether it's too much. I started this thread because I haven't seen PTV discussed much, and I'm fearing that its effect may be more than people realize.
I think it will not be that big of an issue to be honest. I have PTV on my Boxster S and although not the exact same system as the GT3, it is noticable compared with a car without PTV, but it just makes the car more agile and that means more fun. At least for me it does...
Personally I think it will be even more fun on the GT3 and makes the car even more capable. What's more fun than exploring a car's capabillities on a track?!

If you want the real pure raw driving experience, like you are sitting in a big kart, than there are way better cars than any Porsche roadcar and for less money.

Try this one: http://www.donkervoort.com/en/donker...rvoort-d8-gto/ (although I'm not sure if they are sold in the U.S.)

No power steering, no ABS, nothing... It's road legal and not even as harsh as it looks to ride on public roads. (I know from experience, I was lucky enough to drive one for 15 minutes, recently).

Suzy991
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Mike, I think you have it wrong.

http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/2014/2014_GT3_USA.pdf

"The rear axle of the new 911 GT3 is equipped with Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
as standard. The system, which was adapted specifically for the 911 GT3, consists of an
electronically controlled, fully variable locking rear differential and selective braking inter -
ven tions at the rear wheels. In combination, these features provide high traction on changing
road surfaces, an improvement of lateral dynamics, more precise cornering, and increased
driving stability"

It's essentially a smart mechanical diff. Doesn't take the fun out of trail braking, inducing some rotation midcorner with some lift, or pitching the car around. Rather, I bet money that it will *remove* the need for some portion of these inputs given the 3's ability to hold a line.

Whether it's PTV a combination of PTV + RWS, or PTV + RWS + PASM + enhanced track and wheelbase. . . I guess it doesn't really matter. You can't turn these items off so you are stuck with a more *perfect* car, like it or not! LOL.

I'm not terribly concerned as I see the issue as the natural extension of the 997 GT3.
frayed, I think we may be getting into a semantics issue. There are two versions of PTV. Regular PTV and PTV+. PTV is the torque vectoring function that uses the brakes to slow the inside rear wheel to help rotate the car. The "+" is the e-diff (without the plus you get a regular mechanical LSD on the Carrera) which routes torque variably to the wheel with the most traction. The GT3 comes with PTV+.

The passage you quote describes two distinct and separate features that work in combination; one uses the rear inside brake to slow one wheel and rotate the car, the other uses the diff dynamically to send power to the wheels most efficiently. Being able to enter a corner more precisely and have better traction will allow you to hold a better line, but PTV+ isn't a stability manager in the sense that PSM is. Like I said, semantics.

Obviously we're reaching a dead end in this discussion, made worse by the fact that we're talking theory with no real world experience although SamFromTex had some good input. We'll just have to wait for our own cars to confirm how much effect the theory has in practice.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Being able to enter a corner more precisely and have better traction will allow you to hold a better line, but PTV+ isn't a stability manager in the sense that PSM is.
But this makes it worse. If the thresholds for the GT3 are good, PSM shouldn't be triggered unless the car is being way overdriven and the driver is in danger. By contrast, PTV+ will be routinely engaged, thus providing 'help' the driver may not necessarily want. Isn't getting through and out of corners as fast as possible, without excessive help from aids, a key part of the fun driving on track?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

But this makes it worse. If the thresholds for the GT3 are good, PSM shouldn't be triggered unless the car is being way overdriven and the driver is in danger. By contrast, PTV+ will be routinely engaged, thus providing 'help' the driver may not necessarily want. Isn't getting through and out of corners as fast as possible, without excessive help from aids, a key part of the fun driving on track?
At least in my car, which has PTV+, it does not prevent understear, overstear or spins. Ask me how I know.... PSM prevents losing control of the car, PTV does not, not even close. You can't defy physics.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
At least in my car, which has PTV+, it does not prevent understear, overstear or spins. Ask me how I know.... PSM prevents losing control of the car, PTV does not, not even close. You can't defy physics.
I noticed you have a C4S, and I wonder how much difference the AWD makes? Also, how does the wear of your brake pads compare, front to rear?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

The key word in your question is excessive. I haven't driven the car. You haven't driven the car. We can speculate until the cows come home about whether things like PTV+ will ruin the experience or enhance it and still won't be able to answer the question until we do.

Guys like Pete Stout, who have driven the car, rave about it. PDK aside, Pete says it's a 10/10 maybe 11/10. Other reviewers have said similar things. At some point you have to take a chance that they are right. I'm ready to, you may not be. Don't know what else to say....
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The key word in your question is excessive. I haven't driven the car. You haven't driven the car. We can speculate until the cows come home about whether things like PTV+ will ruin the experience or enhance it and still won't be able to answer the question until we do.

Guys like Pete Stout, who have driven the car, rave about it. PDK aside, Pete says it's a 10/10 maybe 11/10. Other reviewers have said similar things. At some point you have to take a chance that they are right. I'm ready to, you may not be. Don't know what else to say....
Fair enough. I still have a deposit on the car, and haven't given up on it yet. No doubt it's a fabulous car for some people and some uses. I'm pretty sure you'll love it, just not sure it's the right car for track rats.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed you have a C4S, and I wonder how much difference the AWD makes? Also, how does the wear of your brake pads compare, front to rear?
I don't know how much the AWD interacts with PTV versus with the RWD but I suspect in a similar fashion since it only applies to the rear brakes and diff. I do know, however, from my coach (professional GT racer) that he says the C4S is a hair slower on our track than the 991 C2S in the dry, and a lot faster in the wet. I have not had the luxury to compare.

In regards to pads, the stock pads ALWAYS showed more wear on the rears compared to the front, not by much but certainly noticeable. Since most of the time I am driving the local tracks in a counterclockwise configuration, the left rears had the most wear. I then switched to Pagid yellow pads and the fronts now wear faster but I noticed there is more pad material on those.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Fair enough. I still have a deposit on the car, and haven't given up on it yet. No doubt it's a fabulous car for some people and some uses. I'm pretty sure you'll love it, just not sure it's the right car for track rats.
If I was really a track rat instead of someone who wants a street car that I can autox and track occasionally I'd also probably be looking at something different and cheaper that left more money in the budget for consumables. I understand where you're coming from. Hope you get it sorted out before you have to commit.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

The more I read about it, the less sure I am about what the purpose is. It has features that make it less than ideal for track use and features that make it less than ideal for street use. Good thing I have until early next year to make a final decision! I have no doubt it will be an amazing car, I'm just not sure it's the one for me.

As to the original question - I think PTV is an electronic aid that ensures the rear brakes wear out at the same time the fronts do.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are over thinking this too much. My car has torque vectoring and you do feel it working and its great.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dude-
I think you guys are over thinking this too much. My car has torque vectoring and you do feel it working and its great.
The bold part is a negative for me, not a positive.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very sensitive and make it a point to be aware all the functions working so I understand how my car works. 99.9% of the folks don't feel it. its not like its the abs activating it's more like the extra extra fine laser cut edge on a surgeons scalpel. You don't feel it mechanically, you feel how precise the turns are. It's really really good technology and a great feature.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On my Box X (2013) PTV provides a proper mechanical limited slip (otherwise not available AND torque vectoring. The latter is Porsche's version of Ferrari's E-Diff (now banned in F1). It works well. You get the benefits of increased stability under breaking (typical of a limited slip) AND increased stability in high speed corners. If you have a well attuned seat of the pants meter, you can feel the benefit of having more torque applied to the outside rear wheel. I'm happy with it.

Best,
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little late to this thread, I sometimes hang out in the 991 forum and first post here... Regardless, I fully agree with Bob and others that it works and works well. A key point to understand is that it corrects "yaw" and not steering angle at turn in. It functions similarly to a rudder in an airplane.

FWIW, I have a C2 without it and don't miss it for my driving, but it is a good thing, IMO.

Quick Reply: Significance of Torque Vectoring?