Sponsored by:

Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'm a fan of technology.

In other wheeled sports people say similar things like having suspension on a mountain bike is cheating and taking away from the pure biking experience or that you aren't really offroading if you have locking differentials. The same goes for electronic performance enhancement in modern supercars. My take on all of it is you just push harder to do more difficult problems and go faster. Differing individual abilities still come into play just as much as before and some people will be able to do it better than others and some people who don't have access to the new technology will be jealous. I can drive a 100% manual unaided car fast on a race track, but I could drive a 991 GTS a lot faster. Doesn't bother me one bit that the car is helping me do that.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't hear any complaints on increasing horsepower and torque. Takes away from the driving experience to let you accelerate out of the corner faster!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:38 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do we buy new cars? Because we want them to reduce hp and new technology?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by modifier
Personally I'm a fan of technology.

In other wheeled sports people say similar things like having suspension on a mountain bike is cheating and taking away from the pure biking experience or that you aren't really offroading if you have locking differentials. The same goes for electronic performance enhancement in modern supercars. My take on all of it is you just push harder to do more difficult problems and go faster. Differing individual abilities still come into play just as much as before and some people will be able to do it better than others and some people who don't have access to the new technology will be jealous. I can drive a 100% manual unaided car fast on a race track, but I could drive a 991 GTS a lot faster. Doesn't bother me one bit that the car is helping me do that.
This +++
Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Agreed
Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Corrected The GTS has a very quick PDK-esque, significantly different then our Cayenne S. Anyways.....
Agreed! We love ours, although the wife is always driving that car. I think I've driven twice since we got it.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend