Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine Article - Porsche's Plan for the Future (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
It seems to me that, through the intervention of algorithms, the PDK, or whatever a auto-manual might be called, also protects the drive train from user error, unlike a manual, and because of the protection that a auto-manual equipped car offers the manufacture that manufacture can PUSH the drive train to previously unobtainable levels of performance.

Case in point, the 911GT3. It just seems to me that it is the PDK only option that has allowed Porsche to, cost effectively in terms of eliminating warranty claims from user error, release that 9000 RPM engine to the public.

Therefore, the reduction in foreseeable warranty claims from the user errors possible with a manual transmission is a fundamental reason behind the ascension of auto-manual transmissions... and the benefit to the end user will be more incredible drive trains.
+1

and in 5 years when you need a new gearbox, just buy a new one and slot it in.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The car will come with wider body, put all the money in weight savings, toss everything you don't need including tremendous weight adders like RWS and PDK. The speed would only need to come from a bigger engine, less weight. Pure. Pure. Like a Cayman R with 525HP. Every track junkie would buy one.
Wrong marketing message I think. If it's a GT3 "America" (or whatever) then it's more palatable. They've spent lots of money on the tech, so they won't back up and take it out for the RS.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

A gt3 america.. Whatever that means, im sure would instantly become unobtanium levels of collectible, therefore unusable, therefore ... Still awesome (sigh)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say just put a Stick and Clutch Pedal in the RS with a PDK-S transmission and let the the RS owner's think they are actually driving a single clutch transmission. And just set-up the controls to operate the double clutch machinery.

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine Article - Porsche's Plan for the Future (?)