Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine Article - Porsche's Plan for the Future (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Automobile Magazine Article - Porsche's Plan for the Future (?)

Hmmm...

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...s_and_profits/
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

There goes that claim again of a possible manual transmission for the GT three RS… Why does this silly rumor continue to circulate when it is patently clear that this would never make sense
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There goes that claim again of a possible manual transmission for the GT three RS… Why does this silly rumor continue to circulate when it is patently clear that this would never make sense
Simple. The number of people or outfits that serve up information totally out number the number of actual readers. News corps, blogs etc just scour the web looking for data without qualifying it and then serve it up as if it was their own found data.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RR
Simple. The number of people or outfits that serve up information totally out number the number of actual readers. News corps, blogs etc just scour the web looking for data without qualifying it and then serve it up as if it was their own found data.
While that may be true, the author of this particular piece - Georg Kacher - is one of the most connected, most respected automotive journalists alive.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest89
Originally Posted by RR
While that may be true, the author of this particular piece - Georg Kacher - is one of the most connected, most respected automotive journalists alive.
My point still holds true. George is the author and Automobile is one of those outfits. The info that george wrote in his article is months old and was most probably already used by either car magazine or Evo months back. Automobile happens to serve it up today as if it is new. At the point when george wrote the article the manual rumour was true but today's it's not.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
My point still holds true. George is the author and Automobile is one of those outfits. The info that george wrote in his article is months old and was most probably already used by either car magazine or Evo months back. Automobile happens to serve it up today as if it is new. At the point when george wrote the article the manual rumour was true but today's it's not.
How are you so sure?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

It may not happen, but why is it so clear to you that this would not make sense? It makes sense to me (easily implemented while retaining E-diff and RWS and won't make the car way slower than GT3, as some fear - particularly if they use a 7M with the same ratios as PDK-S).

If Corvette has figured it out, why can't Porsche?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

from a brand perspective, it would not make sense to make the more expensive and more hard-core, and faster gt3 RS slower by giving it a manual. This would invalidate the PDK philosophy on regular gt3 also, and destroy the credibility of the original decision to abandon the manual. Porsche would be left with some convoluted logic and Mis-pricing /model positioning issues to explain. Technologically, the PDK is coded in very tightly with the TC, stability control and other performance functions of the car... Again, it would be a much slower car with software which would remain handicapped by the lack of integration.

Sometimes we can speculate, but sometimes a logical person can safely eliminate outlandish possibilities. The manual RS is one of these.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I think a manual RS would solidify it as a hard core minimalistic car, not suitable for everyone.

I'm in disagreement with you that is would be much slower with a manual. less weight and power along with more tire would make it still faster than a PDK-S car.

It might just be marginally faster and you would perhaps need a pro driver to eke it out of the car, but it sure would be a lot more involving and fun.

Id pay more just for a manual. The rest of the RS stuff is just gravy.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the MT is not a possibility due to typical German stubbornness (and pride). Surely engineering-wise it can happen, but I sincerely doubt PAG will do it.

---------------------------------------

Anyway, what's the prognosis? Will next generation 911's all have hairdryers? Even the next GT3? I have not kept up with this sort of stuff. . .

One has to think that the switch to forced induction for Fiat is an even bigger deal since Fiats are the gold standard when it comes to naturally aspirated sound, throttle response and intensity.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mt is not happening.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,593 Likes on 2,339 Posts

+1, if they had one up their collective sleeves they would have either offered it as an option on the 991 or at least mentioned it as a possibility for the RS when they launched the GT3.

They dropped the development; everyone get over it, its not going to happen ... they wont put that "manual" 7sp into the RS, because it would be a disadvantage when compared to the GT3 (look at the comments made about the lap time contributions of the PDK-S for the GT3) and they are even less likely to spend R&D $'s mating a G50 to the new engine, which would be as about as expensive as mating PDK to the Mezger, which they declined to do...
Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

from a brand perspective, it would not make sense to make the more expensive and more hard-core, and faster gt3 RS slower by giving it a manual. This would invalidate the PDK philosophy on regular gt3 also, and destroy the credibility of the original decision to abandon the manual. Porsche would be left with some convoluted logic and Mis-pricing /model positioning issues to explain. Technologically, the PDK is coded in very tightly with the TC, stability control and other performance functions of the car... Again, it would be a much slower car with software which would remain handicapped by the lack of integration.

Sometimes we can speculate, but sometimes a logical person can safely eliminate outlandish possibilities. The manual RS is one of these.
+1
Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think a manual RS would solidify it as a hard core minimalistic car, not suitable for everyone.

I'm in disagreement with you that is would be much slower with a manual. less weight and power along with more tire would make it still faster than a PDK-S car.

It might just be marginally faster and you would perhaps need a pro driver to eke it out of the car, but it sure would be a lot more involving and fun.

Id pay more just for a manual. The rest of the RS stuff is just gravy.
I agree a manual RS would be amazing; and not for everyone... but I respectfully disagree with your assertion regarding the lack of a disadvantage.

1st you are assuming that the RS will be much lighter and more powerful than the GT3, while this is possible (we have an existence proof) we also have the example of the 7.1 RS, same engine, not *that* much lighter, some aero and
the LWFW.

I dont know what the weight diff is between the S and the TT/S bodyshell, but if the RS is based on that, they need to account for that, and I hope that does not mean a lot of expensive RS 4.0-esque CF parts ... not too mention the assuption that they can and will squeeze out any additional bhp from the RS... +15bhp would be typical... is that enough to best the PDK-S advantage?

What (AP stated) makes the difference between the PDK-S and a manual *is* the shift time, you know that while the clutch is depressed the car is not powered, 100ms vs however long it takes from clutch in-shift-clutch out will add up ... I just dont see that gap being bridged by a swift left foot, right hand and +15bhp!

game over ...
Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine Article - Porsche's Plan for the Future (?)