OT. New m3/m4

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

[QUOTE=Larry Cable;11479842]
Originally Posted by Nizer
Ha. Dealer was totally clued into the manual debate. They actually spec'd the car with manual because they keep hearing from customers that they like BMW because it's one of the few manufacturers still offering manual in their top-end cars.

WOW!
I had pretty much the same reaction. I haven't seen this dealer, or for that matter any other dealer in the area, spec a demo performance offering with a manual for over a decade.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,031 Likes on 2,843 Posts

Here's an extremely flattering review of the new M3/M4 driven at Spa and the 'Ring. Some doubt about the author's objectivity (best steering ever?), but worth reading:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1005166
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, he lost me in the first paragraph at: "there is no longer any reason to keep a dedicated track car". Done. No more reading necessary.

I'll be putting the M4 on the nordschleife next week. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Sorry, he lost me in the first paragraph at: "there is no longer any reason to keep a dedicated track car". Done. No more reading necessary.

concur.
some drive on track but not track driving.

though the new m3/4 seem interesting. i may go flog one at dealer if they let me.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers

As an owner, I cannot agree more. Sure, it's a great car, but not a track car. As Mooty points out, it seems that he confuses "driving on the track once in a while" with "dedicated track driving".

My M3 should get back from it's 2k running-in service today, so I can start driving it properly now. Will report back soon. I did already find out that, due to the huge torque, it's very easy to throw its tail around even staying well below the 5k RPM running-in limit...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Good car, better than my previous E90 M3 DD. Doing the pretzel and wurst tour now with it. I think this will be the best DD ever for me. The torque is bonkers and she's not the land yacht the M5 is.
Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Love the grey!

I got to poke around the M3 and M4 for the first time last weekend at Goodwood, and really started to fall for it. Then I saw Tiff Needell thrash one up the hillclimb with more than average Tiff Needell hooniganism. As much fun as it looked, aside from the sound of shredding tires it was the quietest car besides the Tesla, and the faux engine noise is a dealbreaker for me. Wish they had kept the lovely sounding V8! I would happily trade some torque to have it back...

Enjoy your ED trip!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Love the grey!

I got to poke around the M3 and M4 for the first time last weekend at Goodwood, and really started to fall for it. Then I saw Tiff Needell thrash one up the hillclimb with more than average Tiff Needell hooniganism. As much fun as it looked, aside from the sound of shredding tires it was the quietest car besides the Tesla, and the faux engine noise is a dealbreaker for me. Wish they had kept the lovely sounding V8! I would happily trade some torque to have it back...

Enjoy your ED trip!
Correct, the sound isn't great, but wasn't a deal-breaker for me. IMO, it needs the full Akrapovic exhaust, which is due to arrive in September. It transformed the sound of my 1M (added 10 HP, but the great sound, pops and bangs make you feel like it added 50) and I'm confident it'll do the same with the M3.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Here's an extremely flattering review of the new M3/M4 driven at Spa and the 'Ring. Some doubt about the author's objectivity (best steering ever?), but worth reading:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1005166
Best ever? Who knows. But I didn't notice the steering at all in the M4, which is a compliment. First thing I noticed in our new X5 was the electric steering and it was/is crap. Clearly they've worked harder on the M3/4 steering.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Love the grey!

Enjoy your ED trip!
It sounds much different from inside the car.....

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Correct, the sound isn't great, but wasn't a deal-breaker for me. IMO, it needs the full Akrapovic exhaust, which is due to arrive in September. It transformed the sound of my 1M (added 10 HP, but the great sound, pops and bangs make you feel like it added 50) and I'm confident it'll do the same with the M3.
Then you'll just need to find a way to deactivate the "active" sound piped into the cabin.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer
Then you'll just need to find a way to deactivate the "active" sound piped into the cabin.
Correct, I started that process already. The answer that I got today was the dealership cannot overwrite that module themselves, but need a overriding module change from BMW AG for that. Just taking out the relevant fuse will do the trick, but has rather substantial side-effects (killing stereo and parking distance sounds).

But I'm pretty confident it can be done. And the Sales Manager is on it for me. With a bit of luck, I get rid of the fake sound before the new proper sounds arrives.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I'd be really curious to hear this car with an AM exhaust. I think the sound can be " fixed ". If you don't mind,post a sound clip after you've changed the exhaust.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Correct, I started that process already. The answer that I got today was the dealership cannot overwrite that module themselves, but need a overriding module change from BMW AG for that. Just taking out the relevant fuse will do the trick, but has rather substantial side-effects (killing stereo and parking distance sounds).

But I'm pretty confident it can be done. And the Sales Manager is on it for me. With a bit of luck, I get rid of the fake sound before the new proper sounds arrives.
Hopefully there's a fix. Much rather have the real sound with Akra than the digitally mastered sound currently. Swear they just took the E92 sound and tried to replicate it. German engineers crack me up. They can engineer the life out of anything just for the sake of the exercise.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Watch from 2:42 min.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

"If ten year olds could drive they would love this." Classic.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The reviewer referenced above is a pro-am German racer fwiw. Stock sound is not bad, for a turbo. Here's the car w/Akrapovic but not under load.

Quick Reply: OT. New m3/m4