Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT. New m3/m4

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:24 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off topic, but I would take this if they would build it the way it is now as a concept

http://jalopnik.com/the-audi-a3-club...der-1576794594
Old 05-17-2014, 12:57 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
I guess they will be delivered, notwithstanding the global launch date. Note that the first M3 was delivered to a customer in Abu Dhabi on 23rd April. My car arrived at the dealership the following Monday, but delivery was blocked due to that same global launch. See the "Not again" thread...

I received confirmation from my dealership this Monday that my car will be delivered coming Thursday. That's the first in Dubai. More have been delivered in Abu Dhabi already... see below.

On a side-note, the dealership dealt with this impeccably. Which contrasted with the terrible communication and customer management surrounding the GT3 big time...
Wow Yas Marina Blue looks really great at night!

Glad you've got the delivery worked out as well.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 05-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

So Sutcliffe says crap throttle response, crap steering, and crap sound, and Harris says ace. Interesting.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:07 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
So Sutcliffe says crap throttle response, crap steering, and crap sound, and Harris says ace. Interesting.
I was wondering the same! Here are Harris' first notes:
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/de...?storyId=30002
Old 05-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

The Mercedes looked pretty interesting. Has any one driven the car in the video above??. I have never been a Mercedes fan and maybe that is because my impression is that it is more of a luxurious car and I like my cars a little raw.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:25 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by TomTom77
I was wondering the same! Here are Harris' first notes:
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/de...?storyId=30002

The interesting part about that picture above is that while the new platform is 50% different (i think) than the F30 chassis, the doors on the M3 are exactly the same as an F30, so in order to fit those 19x10.5" wheels and rear subframe, they rolled her fenders pretty wide!

I've got an M4 on the way for many reasons, but the hips of the F80 really give it a provocative look and made me think twice.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:50 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by redleg321
I've got an M4 on the way for many reasons, but the hips of the F80 really give it a provocative look and made me think twice.
I love the shape of the bootlit-integrated spoiler of the M4, but my wife (who will drive the car daily) prefers 4 doors for practicality. And I liked to keep the M3 name alive...

Those rear arches look amazing indeed. That part with the flared side skirts as you can see on the picture (which pronounce that shape even more), together with the this-time functioning air-vents behind the front wheels, are the strongest visual parts of the car, I reckon...

BMW and it's flared arches... I love them!
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 03:17 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This photo of the front is different from the one above in metallic yellow: specifically the interior sections of the headlights. They don't extend like they do on the green M4. I never liked the friendship bracelet look as featured on all of the new 3 series. So which is it?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:21 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
This photo of the front is different from the one above in metallic yellow: specifically the interior sections of the headlights. They don't extend like they do on the green M4. I never liked the friendship bracelet look as featured on all of the new 3 series. So which is it?
That looks like the 1M, which I think may be the best looking M ever.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:28 PM
redleg321
Racer

Tom,

I'm sure you've read all the sound/steering/M5-M6 arguments ad nauseum over at the BMW forums and the reviews as well. I just noticed Chris Harris calling a journalist out on the PH forum and thought it was a great retort on Harris' part. To me it ends the BS "controversy" that journalists and internet trolls are stirring.

cmoose said:
Perhaps. But I also think that perhaps the current car enthusiast journalistic crop forgets that the guy buying the M3/4 may not actually drive much or even anything else regularly. So while journos are routinely in something with a really extreme engine / getting their visceral fix and therefore think, OK for my daily this new M3 engine is bland but torquey and that's OK, for the people buying this car I think they should be encouraged to demand something more exciting and life affirming than yet another samey, numb turbo rocket.

If you're driving GT3s and Paganis and P1s and LaFs regularly, a bland M3 lump is OK for a daily / chase / camera car etc. If it's really all you drive, the loss of the old NA BMW engines is a minor tragedy - that's what made M cars so wonderful, you drove a saloon with an engine that was as special and exciting as a supercar.

Plus the M3 daily of today is the used performance bargain / weekend toy of tomorrow, and none of the latest M crop appeal in that context, more's the pity.

Chris Harris replies:
Jeremy - I'm going to call you by your real name Mr.Laird because I think you often represent yourself as being 'in the trade' and people like us - journalists - don't really have the right to hide behind soubriquets.

Before presenting yourself as the arbiter of what all car enthusiasts should want in an everyday, fast saloon car, it might be best to drive the new M3. If you do and still think the engine is bland, it'll confirm that my opinion on the subject of what is usable, enjoyable and an acceptable loss in 'feel' in the face of ever more stringent emissions and safety regulations is very different to yours. Of course mine is just another opinion, as is yours, but If you'd like to openly discuss which of us better understands this end of the marketplace,and what buyers are actually looking for, then I'm happy to do so here. And admit my mistakes. But as far as I can recall, I have never edited a car magazine devoted to electric cars and hybrids. However, I have lived with pretty much every car in this class for tens of thousands of miles at a time.

Of course your blanket dismissal of people like me spending too much time in GT3s to be able to judge what someone might want from a single performance car is ludicrous, so I won't bother to explain it.

What I will reiterate is that torque is far more useful than outright power in a street car. And I think more absorbing for a daily driver over time. The new M3 has torque and too end. I ran an E92 M3 everyday, for 11,000 miles to confirm that'll had too little of the former. But I also drove a few Zondaghinis during that period, so according to your theory, I'm not qualified to state that I had to drive the buttons off it to stay ahead of turbodiesels and I just couldn't enjoy that amazing top end enough.

Fuel economy? Read again - I'm talking about range. Range is what matters to people who can afford a £60k car. Spending less time at horrid fuel stations. And that is sadly quite closely related to fuel economy. Again, my frequent exposure to Ferraris must mean that I don't quite understand the range issue on the E92.

Sorry if you think I've given you both barrels unfairly, but I don't think it's fair to jump chameleon-style between being forum punter and journalist when it suits you. And then to have pops from the sidelines .

The M3 is a cracker in my opinion. Anyone who thinks the powertrain is boring needs their head looking at. But that's just my opinion. What really matters is what owners think of the car. I hope to be one of those at some point. And I'll still drive the odd GT3.

Typed on my phone, so apologies for typos etc
Old 05-17-2014, 04:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 615 Posts

Tom,

I'm sure you've read all the sound/steering/M5-M6 arguments ad nauseum over at the BMW forums and the reviews as well. I just noticed Chris Harris calling a journalist out on the PH forum and thought it was a great retort on Harris' part. To me it ends the BS "controversy" that journalists and internet trolls are stirring.
Good quote. Weirdly, both of them make a lot of sense to me, even though they seem like arguing. With one car, you do want it to be useable but special. My BMW 335xi tuned to over 400HP was ultimately useable, but not special enough for me. E90 M3 with manual lacked torque. E90 M3 with DCT was just right - downshift in a fraction of a second and lay black rubber strips at any revs in first and much of the second gear. And yes, it's ok to downshift to first with DCT; it is actually awesome. So with DCT, torque became a non-issue. But range was crap - very annoying in daily driving. If M3/M4 were the only car, I'd welcome better mileage/range and less NVH at lower revs (but still good noise at high revs). Other than that, the previous one was a perfect daily driver already. Well, maybe ventilated seats would be good too :-). Any decrease in enjoyment from steering or throttle response would be a loss - it's part of what made it special.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:04 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Tom,

I read it with interest indeed. I hope the new F88x M3 tackles the known E9x M3 'issues' of lack of power in the lower range and weight. Sure, it sacrificed some of its amazing high-end pitch, but I expect an Akrapovic will solve did. As it did the my 1M.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
That looks like the 1M, which I think may be the best looking M ever.
It is indeed a / my 1M. And it's a hilarious drive! I guess I'll never sell it.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Good quote. Weirdly, both of them make a lot of sense to me, even though they seem like arguing. With one car, you do want it to be useable but special. My BMW 335xi tuned to over 400HP was ultimately useable, but not special enough for me. E90 M3 with manual lacked torque. E90 M3 with DCT was just right - downshift in a fraction of a second and lay black rubber strips at any revs in first and much of the second gear. And yes, it's ok to downshift to first with DCT; it is actually awesome. So with DCT, torque became a non-issue. But range was crap - very annoying in daily driving. If M3/M4 were the only car, I'd welcome better mileage/range and less NVH at lower revs (but still good noise at high revs). Other than that, the previous one was a perfect daily driver already. Well, maybe ventilated seats would be good too :-). Any decrease in enjoyment from steering or throttle response would be a loss - it's part of what made it special.
Spot on. But as said above, I'm pretty sure an Akrapovic exhaust will tackle the lack of sound issue. And with a longer range, less weight, great balance, good steering and (relatively) instant throttle response (for a turbo), I expect it to be great... will know more this weekend!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

Another review: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/20/2...-drive-review/
Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Or the new C63 AMG..
Too bad to see the 6.2L go, but if they make it light enough this could be good with a V8TT also destines for the AMG-GT.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-amg-spy-video

Quick Reply: OT. New m3/m4