EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Any idea how I can get a copy? In the US I don't think any of the local places has it on the rack, anyone know of a chain that carries it?

I checked into the digital subscription, it would begin with issue 188, not the current 187. I'd happily buy the subscription if I could get the current issue.

Checked "back issues" they start at 185, ugh.

Ryan
That is weird. evo.co.uk starts their "digital only" subscription with the Nov issue. Google Play has the Sep issue, #186, but not yet updated to Oct. iTunes is apparently at issue 186, too. The folks at evo need to send a pack of wolves into the offices of the publishers and get someone to click the "push to digital" button. Are they trying to prove "print is not dead" because it's still faster to publish than the Web ... the way they're doing it ... ? I wonder who is doing their Web publishing; The US Congress?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My point is that higher the capability of the car, generally the less engaging it will be at realistic road speeds (I don't condone unsafe driving on the road, and have no interest in going to jail); the 997 is a rare semi-exception. The C63 proves to not be very capable on the track, but does well on the road. All indications are that the GT3 will be uber capable on the track, and just plodding along on the road (just like the regular 991 or 991S). The reviewers that we've seen loving the car on the road were pushing the car a lot harder than realistic road driving (crossing into the other lane, getting it loose with the power on wet roads, etc.).
I'm not dismissing your perspective about what is "fun" and "engaging" and what isn't, but I do think it's very subjective and is going to vary widely from person to person. If the 991 GT3 is going to be boring because it's too capable for street driving, then there's no point in buying any exotic or supercar since the frustration of driving it at legal speeds is always going to be too high.

I think the assumption that the GT3 is going to "plod" along like the 991 or 991S fails on a couple of levels. First, there is a whole forum just above this one full of people who bought "regular" 991's and enjoy the heck out of them on the street and on track. I doubt you'd convince many of them that their cars aren't fun to drive. This goes to my point about the subjective nature of this whole issue.

Second, the 991 GT3 has gone several steps beyond the Carrera in terms of steering, engine, gearbox, exhaust note, and any number of other things that will make it a more involving experience even at normal speeds. I think it's a mistake to extrapolate the GT3 experience from your perception of the 991 experience.

It's interesting that when some people (not you necessarily, Manifold) first started posting about the 991 GT3 it was going to be nothing more than a hopped up C&C car that would never earn it's chops at the track. Then when the reviews started coming in that tune changed. It's now going to be a beast at the track but boring on the street. Wrong then and wrong now, IMHO.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Any idea how I can get a copy? In the US I don't think any of the local places has it on the rack, anyone know of a chain that carries it?

I checked into the digital subscription, it would begin with issue 188, not the current 187. I'd happily buy the subscription if I could get the current issue.

Checked "back issues" they start at 185, ugh.

Ryan
I started my digital subscription a couple of weeks back and the first (and only) issue I've received so far is #186 for September, so I'm hopeful #187 will show up soon. Anyone with a digital subscription have the October issue yet?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not dismissing your perspective about what is "fun" and "engaging" and what isn't, but I do think it's very subjective and is going to vary widely from person to person. If the 991 GT3 is going to be boring because it's too capable for street driving, then there's no point in buying any exotic or supercar since the frustration of driving it at legal speeds is always going to be too high.

I think the assumption that the GT3 is going to "plod" along like the 991 or 991S fails on a couple of levels. First, there is a whole forum just above this one full of people who bought "regular" 991's and enjoy the heck out of them on the street and on track. I doubt you'd convince many of them that their cars aren't fun to drive. This goes to my point about the subjective nature of this whole issue.

Second, the 991 GT3 has gone several steps beyond the Carrera in terms of steering, engine, gearbox, exhaust note, and any number of other things that will make it a more involving experience even at normal speeds. I think it's a mistake to extrapolate the GT3 experience from your perception of the 991 experience.

It's interesting that when some people (not you necessarily, Manifold) first started posting about the 991 GT3 it was going to be nothing more than a hopped up C&C car that would never earn it's chops at the track. Then when the reviews started coming in that tune changed. It's now going to be a beast at the track but boring on the street. Wrong then and wrong now, IMHO.
Superbly put.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Mike, to some extent I have to disagree. There are super cars that are fun to drive on the street and you do not need to be at speed to enjoy the car. You feel it is subjective but if I put you into a 458, 12C, Gallardo or SLS you will understand and recognize the difference immediately. I believe these reviewers having driven the above super cars are expressing what most people know. Porsche's are designed to be driven near their limit to be enjoyed. Apparently, the GT3 is not an exception.

Nevertheless, I still intend to buy the car. If I find it boring in street driving I will immediately sell it.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Too true Mike. Wait until the hardcore track track coparos start flooding in. I believe there will be quite a few track rats here cursing they didn't at least get there name on a list.

911rox. Richard Meaden and Jethro are very accomplished drivers. Meadens raced LeMans I believe...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, to some extent I have to disagree. There are super cars that are fun to drive on the street and you do not need to be at speed to enjoy the car. You feel it is subjective but if I put you into a 458, 12C, Gallardo or SLS you will understand and recognize the difference immediately. I believe these reviewers having driven the above super cars are expressing what most people know. Porsche's are designed to be driven near their limit to be enjoyed. Apparently, the GT3 is not an exception.

Nevertheless, I still intend to buy the car. If I find it boring in street driving I will immediately sell it.
Nick, there has been only the one reviewer who expressed a concern that the 991 GT3 needed to be tracked to be enjoyed. TEHO, of course, and your subjective reaction (and his) to the car will be as valid as mine or anyone else's. I'll just say that, having seen the various videos and with due respect to your POV, one has to have become pretty jaded to be concerned that driving that car might be boring; 99% of the car loving population would kill for 10 minutes behind the wheel.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, there has been only the one reviewer who expressed a concern that the 991 GT3 needed to be tracked to be enjoyed. TEHO, of course, and your subjective reaction (and his) to the car will be as valid as mine or anyone else's. I'll just say that, having seen the various videos and with due respect to your POV, one has to have become pretty jaded to be concerned that driving that car might be boring; 99% of the car loving population would kill for 10 minutes behind the wheel.
I thought there was another review which indicated that the GT3 to be enjoyable needed to be tracked. I remain optimistic the car will be fun on public streets. Looking forward to your impressions in January.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I can imagine what the RS will be like. It will be even more boring on the street. I will still wait for the RS.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the take the GT3 for a drive in "D", its going to be boring and not engaging. No torque at low RPMs; it will feel slow and boring.

Put the car in "manual", don't ever shift before 4500 RPMs and hitting the rev limiter once in awhile and you'll enjoy ever minute of the drive. You don't have to be going break neck speeds to do this.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,561 Posts

We'll see how the 991 GT3 does as a DD from a subjective standpoint. Based on the reviews so far, I suspect/fear that those who enjoy it on the road will need to engage in substantial hooliganism. But I hope I'm wrong, since it would be great if it's indeed fun at all speeds.

For track use, I've come to terms with pretty much everything about the car, including the PDK (assuming that track seats are coming soon). And by interesting coincidence, today I attended a clinic for PCA DE instructors presented by one of the Porsche school instructors. The focus was on the technologies in these cars (PDK, PASM, PDCC, PTV, PSM, etc.) and how they work. He predicted that, 5 years from now, the vast majority of Porsches will be PDK, with manual being a relatively rare special order which costs extra. He also said that the Porsche school instructors typically leave the PDK in automatic mode.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The word boring occurs 11 times on this page. Well, 12 now that I wrote boring, too. 13.
So I suggest we call a moratorium on presuming the GT3 is going to be boring. 14. Dammit!

I drive the 991S from day to day (I bought it for myself, but my wife commandeered it after she decided it was "her" car … and that suited me fine, but I found it to be a poor track day car and the steering is annoying) but I wouldn't call it boring. The GT3 won't be bor... um ... dull ... under any circumstances other than having to listen to people who don't drive it explain how it's boring! 15. Dammit!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The word boring occurs 11 times on this page. Well, 12 now that I wrote boring, too. 13.
So I suggest we call a moratorium on presuming the GT3 is going to be boring. 14. Dammit!

I drive the 991S from day to day (I bought it for myself, but my wife commandeered it after she decided it was "her" car … and that suited me fine, but I found it to be a poor track day car and the steering is annoying) but I wouldn't call it boring. The GT3 won't be bor... um ... dull ... under any circumstances other than having to listen to people who don't drive it explain how it's boring! 15. Dammit!
LOL
Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

+1 always makes me laugh. Thanks CGT.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:47 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Contrast this 'only fun at full tilt' with what Evo had to say about previous GT3s -

The GT3 has never just been about outright power and grip. The joy of this stripped-back 911 is that it mixes purity of purpose with subtlety of feel, chases lap times but never at the expense of driver involvement, and that it rewards at walking pace even though it’s developed to be driven flat-out for hours on end without so much as a flicker of its oil temperature gauge.
Excerpt from this Evo group test of all the previous GT3s - http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...roup_test.html

I fell in love with GT3 after a mundane 10 min test drive. Before that I rented a GTR for a weekend and fell out of 'love with it' cause it was not fun at reasonable speeds. So I don't for a second buy the none of these cars can be fun to drive at reasonable speeds argument. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: EVO (UK) Full GT3 Test