Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammit.

Now I want PCCBs.

I had them in my 997S launch car and 997 GT3 and thought them spectacular. I was going to go steel only for cost reasons since functionally I thought the ceramics were great. Argh. The only drawback was that given their bite and sensitivity, it seemed the brake pedal was never low enough under braking for easy heel toe, especially on street. But now that's a moot issue.

Oh well. It's only money. I'll make more.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
No doubt remaining in my mind that the car is great. PDK might even be acceptable. I'm OK with RWS, it makes some sense. But still need to hear reviews based on tracking it by capable drivers. And still need to see the car's track durability, which will take time. Can probably live with the 20" wheels, since the Dunlop tires are pretty good, though I'm only getting 10 to 15 days out of them. CLs aren't my preference, but I can deal with them. I assume that bucket seats will be coming to the US soon, but still pissed that they weren't available from the outset. Biggest issue now may be getting the car; I'm #2 on my dealer's list, but he's only been promised one car so far and I haven't put down a deposit yet. I don't get it, spend much time and $$ designing and testing the car, but then don't produce enough to meet demand?
I appreciate your thoughts about tracking the car. Hopefully on-track tests, which are going to be coming shortly will help with that concern, but durability is a long term proposition. At some point I think you have to take a leap of faith. PDK being able to do 1000+ consecutive launch control starts without failure should be reassuring. Do you think a regular clutch and MT could do better?

I've been to the factory in Zuffenhausen several times. It's a relatively small place constrained by space in an urban setting and there are only so many cars they can push through there. Also, maybe Porsche execs were reading Rennlist and believed the advance predictions by some of unsold 991 GT3's sitting on dealer lots.

FWIW, I think we will be seeing another wave of allocations and most people already on waiting lists should eventually be served, If you're #2 I'd be willing to bet you're in pretty good shape if you decide you want one.

Originally Posted by frayed
Dammit.

Now I want PCCBs.

I had them in my 997S launch car and 997 GT3 and thought them spectacular. I was going to go steel only for cost reasons since functionally I thought the ceramics were great. Argh. The only drawback was that given their bite and sensitivity, it seemed the brake pedal was never low enough under braking for easy heel toe, especially on street. But now that's a moot issue.

Oh well. It's only money. I'll make more.
I've had the same twinge but am consoling myself with the fact that if R&T had been driving a car with the standard brakes they would have been very nearly as impressed. I can find other car related things to do with the $9K I'll save.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

It did get me thinking about PCCB's as well. But I doubt if I will track the car to any great extent. Though I can afford the additional $9000, I don't want to be stupid about it. The Porsche standard brakes are fabulous.

My question is to what extent will the PCCB's enhance the driving experience over the standard brakes? If I knew the answer was the PCCB's would enhance it considerably, I would option them. After all that is the whole point of buying such a car.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:59 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
It did get me thinking about PCCB's as well. But I doubt if I will track the car to any great extent. Though I can afford the additional $9000, I don't want to be stupid about it. The Porsche standard brakes are fabulous.

My question is to what extent will the PCCB's enhance the driving experience over the standard brakes? If I knew the answer was the PCCB's would enhance it considerably, I would option them. After all that is the whole point of buying such a car.
The wheels stay cleaner longer and the calipers match the yellow belts, Lol...
Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think AP has been told to "super size" us!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, given the speeds this new rocket will achieve on a fast track in my neck of the woods (Circuit of the Americas, Texas World Speedway), or the hard braking of shorter tracks, I'm not so sure the increase in size of the front pies will offset the wear folks have seen on PCCBs in the prior GT3/RS.

PCCBs don't seem to be a rational decision but based on how they have felt in prior cars they are tempting!

Quick Reply: Road & Track