Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
^ kinda agree

the pdk genie is out of the bottle

porsche will be in between a rock and a hard place

RS manual will have to have so much lightweight, power, and crazy tweaks to regularly outpace pdk gt3

otoh, it will likely cost an arm and a leg. in normal hands, the mt RS will need all kinds of upgrades to match the pdk gt3. Even in experienced hands, you just can't argue the laptime that PDK delivers. So it will be an impossible situation for porsche.

RS will be PDK. Manual option will be suicide. I'm keeping my 997.1 gt3 for the spirited manual days. But I'm itching to put a deposit down on a 991 RS.
^^ This, I have deposit but the question is will I take it when it arrived PDK only. I'll have to steal a PDK-S GT3 prior. Plenty of suckers leave the key on the dash in the pit lane.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
my guess is that over time the manual option will disappear from the entire model lineup.
Sad. I still wonder why they even bothered with the C2S manual.
How many are getting delivered? Could be the last one to be a manual track Porsche with some mods it can be a light 430HP car.

Originally Posted by mooty
a true cyclist shifts well.
we went from shifting to indext shifting to electronic shifting. NO one use non index shifting anymore as main ride....... just saying....
More fun now then before or just easier / faster / fancier?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Is Vinyl still not king? Anything else is for amateurs.

Last edited by jumper5836; 07-26-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, vinyl is the ruler.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Goodbye

This thread is stupid....

Last edited by KINGSRULE; 07-26-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Is Vinyl still not king? Anything else is for amateurs.
5000+ albums
orig mercury and RCA pressings too
Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ This, I have deposit but the question is will I take it when it arrived PDK only. I'll have to steal a PDK-S GT3 prior. Plenty of suckers leave the key on the dash in the pit lane.

Sad. I still wonder why they even bothered with the C2S manual.
How many are getting delivered? Could be the last one to be a manual track Porsche with some mods it can be a light 430HP car.

more fun
faster
u r always in the right gear
Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like mooty I rode and raced hardtails with old school shifting. Then better index shifting. Now even better as modern systems allow shifting under full load. Also went from hardtails with rigid fork to hardtails with suspension fork to now full suspension.

I never ride my hardtails any more. I always grab my carbon fiber full suspension wonder-bike for pretty much every ride except to the grocery store. Technology has displaced the old rigid frames.

Do these analogies (bike gears, bike suspension, vinyl records) apply here?

Dunno but interesting nonetheless. OTOH, I totally get Chris Harris' analogy of the lady behind the checkout counter with the old teletype machine that she had mastered, then her skill was entirely displaced with bar code readers that just read the package and register a 'beep.'
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Like mooty I rode and raced hardtails with old school shifting. Then better index shifting. Now even better as modern systems allow shifting under full load. Also went from hardtails with rigid fork to hardtails with suspension fork to now full suspension.

I never ride my hardtails any more. I always grab my carbon fiber full suspension wonder-bike for pretty much every ride except to the grocery store. Technology has displaced the old rigid frames.

Do these analogies (bike gears, bike suspension, vinyl records) apply here?

Dunno but interesting nonetheless. OTOH, I totally get Chris Harris' analogy of the lady behind the checkout counter with the old teletype machine that she had mastered, then her skill was entirely displaced with bar code readers that just read the package and register a 'beep.'
I get it too, its going to be a better/faster car ... that I expected ...

Why do people still wonder at steam trains, and why when a lone Spitfire does a low pass and I listen to the roar of its Merlin engine do I get a lump in my throat ... is it just nostalgia or is it that there is something about the relationship of the person to the machine that transcends efficiency or progress
Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

is it that there is something about the relationship of the person to the machine that transcends efficiency or progress
Ahh, the crux of the matter.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triode
Ahh, the crux of the matter.
Yep, certainly for me! In all fairness I could not say without actually driving the new car if I would "feel" the same connection with it that I have with my previous GT3's ...

I would follow AP's advice and drive it ... if only!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Lets steal one...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Lets steal one...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Already figured it out, we can do a Sebring Rennlist real life test evaluation.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Lets steal one...
Just go along to a cars and coffee outing after they hit the streets and car jack one...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do people still wonder at steam trains, and why when a lone Spitfire does a low pass and I listen to the roar of its Merlin engine do I get a lump in my throat ... is it just nostalgia or is it that there is something about the relationship of the person to the machine that transcends efficiency or progress
I like this analogy. I took a 911 2.4 longhood for a weekend 13 years ago after buying by 993. I was serious about buying it. Loved the shape. They were cheap then. The car smelled musty. It didnt like to start in the cold morning. The gearbox was useless until it was hot and even then the dog leg gear change and lack of decent synchromesh made changing gear quickly an impossibility. The heating didnt work and there was zero air-con. It handled like a ponderous thing compared to the 993 and it took about 10 seconds to hit a 100km.....

....I realised that I really loved the idea of owning a 2.4 1970s longhood but that in reality I couldn't live with it. It was old, needed attention and the right considerations to drive well and even then it wasnt fast. I swaore Id never buy anything older than a 993 in a 911 and Ive never regretted it yet....

Do I look and stare at a parade when a beautiful 2.4 goes by burbling. Sure I do. Am I jealous. Hell no! My 993 is so much a better car! Having never owned a 911 newer than a 1999 996.1 GT3 I am actually somewhat scared I may enjoy the 991 GT3 "too much" and the 993 will only see track and competition use.....times they are a changin.....

(Big vinyl fan too have a LINN LP12 somewhere in storage. But CD and MP3 fits way better into my lifestyle and I actually listen to far more music now than I used to because its so much more convenient and accessible).

There are arguments every way you look. If you dont like what infront of you - you stop. I dud that after the 1999 GT3 and went back to the aircoooled. Ive spent 12+ years in "syberia" now there is finally a sun in the sky that I think could be interesting to come out and play under. Call it mad, call it the aging process but for those here who dont want to go forward from their 997.1 or 997.2 GT3 MT Mezger I say to you bravo. I have the T short too. But in 12 years time when the 2025 GT3/RS is released tell me then if you arent a wee bit curious to see where the game has moved on to. Not saying youll love it or possibly even like it but it wil be intriguing enough to at least give a little go - no?

I still like looking at a workign steam train. Every talked to someone that took them to work or a historian? The person that used them last in 1912 will tell you it was a blessing the day they went to electric as they started running on time and went places faster and the environmentalist will tell you if they had run for another 30 years an the world would have been smog LOL!

I still like looking at steam trains. But I dont want to go to work in one....

Quick Reply: I'll be Going Now.....