Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013 | 09:35 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Arth. We certainly will live vicariously through your early 991 GT3 experiences as I suspect these will be the first posed on this board by actual owners! My guess is you will certainly be driving them by the end of October.

Does anyone have any idea (or has been told by the dealer) what the "break in" procedure is on these cars?
Likely typical Porsche manual recommendations (USA) will be keep the revs below 4200 for the first 2000 miles. No full throttle bursts, vary engine speed and increase revs gradually post 2k.

Just about everyone has their personal break in procedure. I believe much of RoW production has no manual suggested break in. USA likely does because we are so litigious.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the engine speed should be varied.
Old 07-27-2013 | 07:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks 911dev. I asked a few 991S owners here in NZ and they said the dealer told them to just "shut up and drive it" so I suspect you may be right that there is a different expectation ROW LOL!
Old 07-27-2013 | 07:25 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
It does sound like you will be one of the first on here to actually drive the LHD 991 GT3 probably by late Oct. Thats fantastic and we await your first hand feedback. You have owned and own an enviable range of machines from manual GT3 RS to computerized Nissan GTR so I honestly cant think of a better person to give us a fair representation of what we are looking at. The one fellow I know who has direct experience with the car assures me it will be a very enjoyable experience indeed...
Yeah, 'Arth' and I could be one of the first on the forum indeed. I'm sure we'll take our 2 3s out for a spin in the mountains instantly and I'll will bring the 1M along too as the MT contender to keep myself honest. Maybe 'pmpsch' can join us with his RS 4.0, then we've lined up the best possible back-to-back comparison there is, IMO!

On a side-note, doing a similar back-to-back comparison in the Fujeirah mountains last year with my 1M and my second new GT-R (2012) made me sell that GT-R within a week and keep the 1M because it gave me a bigger smile on my face! So, the ones on the fence about the fun / gearbox of the GT3 can be assured that I'll be honest.

A bit off-topic, but the next back-to-back comparison and my bigger challenge will occur a couple of months later, when the 458 'Scuderia' gets delivered... Rationally, I know that this ultra-458 cannot possibly be 2.5 times as good as the GT3 (which is the expected price difference here), but I do expect the 'Scuderia' to offer insane amounts of speed, purity, noise and fun... even without the MT

Yet, out of principle, I don't want to keep 3 cars (991 GT3 / 458 'Scuderia' / 1M) for fun / weekend driving. I don't have / need a daily driver since I either work from home or am travelling abroad. I suspect that after a period of having both the GT3 / 458 'Scuderia' parked side-by-side in the garage, I will end up driving one disproportionally more than the other, which means the latter will go... the 1M is a very different package and absolutely hilarious, so I don't see that one go anytime soon!

First-world problems: I love them!
Old 07-27-2013 | 08:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great stuff Arth & TomTom.

Very much look forward to your findings here. Cant think of a better cross section of equipment to try the GT3 against. At the end of the day the Scud vs GT3 dilemma will be the most interesting one. The 458 is sure to win on emotional grounds and Im sure it will out perform the GT3 but at 2.5X the price that's like comparing a Zonda with a 991 TTS! Most of us are struggling to afford the 991 GT3 in the first place so I suspect its a delimma none of us will need to contemplate in the first instance but I agree its a bloody nice problem to have. Jealous!
Old 07-27-2013 | 08:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

Having been in the Fiat camp for a spell, independent of which car is the more compelling/emotional package, Fiats bring a lot of baggage for day to day use. In the real world, for where I drive and how I use the car, Porsche wins.

I say this price notwithstanding.

Many days I just drive my pickup around as it's ubiquitous and I don't care where I park it and don't care about handing it to a valet at a restaurant/hotel.

Anyway, that's all OT. Will be very interesting to see how often TomTom reaches for the vw keys v. the fiat keys.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver First Drive