Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO (UK) Review of the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for posting Bill. We've been waiting for the verdict from publications like Evo and now here it is. 5 stars. What I most enjoy is watching people take a glowing review like this one and then try to search for whatever tiny crumbs of negativity they can find. LOL.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2013 Porsche 911 GT3 review

2013 Porsche 911 GT3 review

Rating:

Engine, chassis, looks, performance

No manual transmission option

Looks great... maybe they could offer a manual option?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

Stellar car for intended audience no doubt. Too bad its epitaph will read "great car - too bad about the lack of a manual". Think how easily VW could've ensured the first part would be all Porschephiles and the motoring press remembered.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet review, really looking forward to the new GT3 making a debut here in the US at the end of the year.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for posting Bill. We've been waiting for the verdict from publications like Evo and now here it is. 5 stars. What I most enjoy is watching people take a glowing review like this one and then try to search for whatever tiny crumbs of negativity they can find. LOL.
Nope, not rubbishing the car at all... Beyond the occasional gripe about no manual, I don't read any articles expecting to read a negative review...

I'm rubbishing a half baked article full of errors disguised as a review of a car so many of us are keen to learn more about. Considering we can google the correct answers, one would think mr journalist could get his **** together when he has Porsche at his disposal to provide answers... Just saying...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Nope, not rubbishing the car at all... Beyond the occasional gripe about no manual, I don't read any articles expecting to read a negative review...

I'm rubbishing a half baked article full of errors disguised as a review of a car so many of us are keen to learn more about. Considering we can google the correct answers, one would think mr journalist could get his **** together when he has Porsche at his disposal to provide answers... Just saying...
I admit, Chris, that reviewers who get small details wrong irritate me too. Probably a more thorough and accurate review will follow. This was more like a blog post. Still the overall tenor of the thing was very positive.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Very positive indeed Mike... I don't expect to read an article to the contrary even when they get full access on track in a month or two...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,320 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Painful to think how good this car could be if it came with a good 6-sp manual.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Painful to think how good this car could be if it came with a good 6-sp manual.
Enough! Dont buy it then. Someone will gladly take your allocation.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm only looking forward to actual owners review. These journalists reviews will only " sing the same song ". I agree the car will be great,most likely Porsche engineers will deliver. Yet no manual=no sale from me. Secondly...reliability(CLs,PDK,RWS etc). I can only find this out from actual owners,not journalists.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,320 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Enough! Dont buy it then. Someone will gladly take your allocation.
As long as there are people around who love the art/skill of driving, the complaints about not offering manual will never end. And the complaints may lead to manual being offered at some point.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I admit, Chris, that reviewers who get small details wrong irritate me too. Probably a more thorough and accurate review will follow. This was more like a blog post. Still the overall tenor of the thing was very positive.
Guys. This was an internet preview to a fully fledged feature and cover story Evo will be running next month on their most highly anticipated sports car of 2013.

Make no mistake they don't give their new content away for free. This was a teaser only. I do agree with others however that its annoying when inaccuracies are in these reviews. Every one I have read to date has had inaccuracies but this is partly due to the fact that these are Pre Media Pack reviews. Once they receive all the hard data I guess they will be more accurate. no excuses tho.

Evo is one of the most respected Auto publications in the worlds barr none. Many of you will say the Journalists are taking happy pills but Im sure when we have track reviews and comparos side by side with the 991 Gt3 many will also say this isnt good enough either and they want owners reviews. When theres owners reviews many of you will say they are taking happy pills and you wont comment till you have driven a car yourself. In most parts of the world the books are now completely closed on the 991 GT3 and few dealers will hold a demonstrator so I guess you will have to have a generous friend with a 991 GT3 to really satisfy yourself if the car is for you or not and that could be in 1-2 years time. Best stay friends then with some of the RLers here ordering the new 991 GT3 for Dec delivery LOL!

As for Evo. They dont give out 5 stars easily. They always have a positive and a negative and in this instance the negative is the much expected lack of a manual - not exactly something you can get around with this car and as such we will never know what it was like with a MT anyway. If they had said "lacked steering feel" or " clincial and involving" of " too expensive for what it is" as they often do even with cars like MC12 then that would have been a real downer. On face value the article reads very positively. I believe you will find when you get your August edition of EVO that the full article is very well written and constructed honestly pointing out the faults and benefits but that the overall take away is that as much as Evo had feared the car might pale in comparison to the outgoing model that its actually surprised on all levels and surpassed their expectations generally speaking. Expect this car to be Evo car of the Year (ECOTY) for 2013. Once you see teh future track comparos and reviews I think the consensus will be for $130k usd there isnt a euro performance/super car that can touch it dynamically this side of 220k usd....

I know you will all say Im taking happy pills too but guys you should read your comments back to yourselves at a distance. I know there are some intelligent successful and wealthy folk posting here (or you wouldn't be on this board in the first place) but many of the comments are premature, immature and out right driven by a loathing for the product before its had a chance of a fair hearing....
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm only looking forward to actual owners review. These journalists reviews will only " sing the same song ". I agree the car will be great,most likely Porsche engineers will deliver. Yet no manual=no sale from me. Secondly...reliability(CLs,PDK,RWS etc). I can only find this out from actual owners,not journalists.
Reliability will be hard to judge, not that many will be driven that hard on the track and not many will put on that many track days in say a year when my RS arrives.

I can only be convinced of PDK-S if I drive it, I wonder what airport I need to fly into and what track is nearest Mike in CA.. Hopefully its not menstrual red but it should be a nice test drive. I'll return the favor in Sebring with the RS and it'll be proper *** white.

Originally Posted by Manifold
As long as there are people around who love the art/skill of driving, the complaints about not offering manual will never end. And the complaints may lead to manual being offered at some point.
Of course. inexcusable that we not even have the choice, I hope I can learn to accept PDK-SD, but I'm afraid it sucks and bore you to tears...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

sfo:laguna
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Of course. inexcusable that we not even have the choice, I hope I can learn to accept PDK-SD
I hope not. You're better than that.

Quick Reply: EVO (UK) Review of the 991 GT3