Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The black lights look good on the red car. I agree however they would look a bit "panda eyes" on a silver or white car.

Here is the technical brief from Porsche on the LED lights. They are expensive I do agree but I suspect if you didnt like they you would easily get your money back on them selling them on ebay. I have looked into the individual replacement cost and its higher than the option cost so if you didnt like them you could no doubt find someone with a set of standard or PDLS lights that would swap for a cash difference.

One of the differences with the LED lights is they are LED in high and low beam. In low beam both elements light but the lower ones more brightly. In high both are bright. I personally feel they lend a great technical look to the car and give it another external feature to separate it from lesser Carreras...
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting read. Thanks Macca.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
The black lights look good on the red car. I agree however they would look a bit "panda eyes" on a silver or white car.

Here is the technical brief from Porsche on the LED lights. They are expensive I do agree but I suspect if you didnt like they you would easily get your money back on them selling them on ebay. I have looked into the individual replacement cost and its higher than the option cost so if you didnt like them you could no doubt find someone with a set of standard or PDLS lights that would swap for a cash difference.

One of the differences with the LED lights is they are LED in high and low beam. In low beam both elements light but the lower ones more brightly. In high both are bright. I personally feel they lend a great technical look to the car and give it another external feature to separate it from lesser Carreras...
What document/website was this excerpt pulled from? I'd love to have the whole thing.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't question anyone for getting the LED's as they are technically quite cool and look very good. As was mentioned by Nick earlier, though, if a fair amount of night driving isn't in your future then $3110 is a lot to spend for the vanity aspect of having the latest gizmo.

I'm put off by the black headlight Exclusive option simply because of what it costs. There is no practical difference between the $770 PDLS and the $1345 Headlights in Black with PDLS except that you're paying $575 for some black trim. It looks good with some colors but on principle I wouldn't get that option just like I wouldn't pay $325 for painted plastic on my keys. I'm as big a Porsche fanboy as anyone, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Which leaves the regular $770 PDLS. I have PDLS (came as part of a package) on my Cayenne S. The swiveling headlights, speed adaptive features, and cornering lights are nice and it has the cosmetic advantage of gray trim instead of chrome. As usual, I'm in the process of tweaking a couple of things on my build and am considering going with this option.

No right or wrong here; just my subjective opinion.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I wouldn't question anyone for getting the LED's as they are technically quite cool and look very good. As was mentioned by Nick earlier, though, if a fair amount of night driving isn't in your future then $3110 is a lot to spend for the vanity aspect of having the latest gizmo.

I'm put off by the black headlight Exclusive option simply because of what it costs. There is no practical difference between the $770 PDLS and the $1345 Headlights in Black with PDLS except that you're paying $575 for some black trim. It looks good with some colors but on principle I wouldn't get that option just like I wouldn't pay $325 for painted plastic on my keys. I'm as big a Porsche fanboy as anyone, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Which leaves the regular $770 PDLS. I have PDLS (came as part of a package) on my Cayenne S. The swiveling headlights, speed adaptive features, and cornering lights are nice and it has the cosmetic advantage of gray trim instead of chrome. As usual, I'm in the process of tweaking a couple of things on my build and am considering going with this option.

No right or wrong here; just my subjective opinion.

MIke, I had them on my Cayenne as well and I never found them not that much different than standard lights. I know they direct the beam in the direction you are turning but unless I am outside a city and driving an unlighted road and turning into another unlit road they really are of little use. Also, at least for me, the grey trim may not match well with a white exterior.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Pic of white cab with black lights.

More here - http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2013/road-test.html#
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't look too bad...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
MIke, I had them on my Cayenne as well and I never found them not that much different than standard lights. I know they direct the beam in the direction you are turning but unless I am outside a city and driving an unlighted road and turning into another unlit road they really are of little use. Also, at least for me, the grey trim may not match well with a white exterior.
Nick, I don't actually disagree and wouldn't have gotten them on the Cayenne if they hadn't been part of the Premium Plus package. But at least they have some utility and if someone hates the chrome standard look they might be an alternative to spending $1345 for the black trim to get a better match with some colors (red or maybe silver for example). Just thinking out loud....
Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Swiveling headlights on a country/mountain road are very helpful IMO. I've had them on a BMW and found them to make a big difference.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
I have oscillated between getting LED's or just the standard lights. No doubt for many of us the price is a deterrent. Though I haven't formally spec my car, presently I opted against LED for one reason. I will rarely drive the car at night. During the day I am not sure from an aesthetic point of view the LED will make much of a difference from the standard lights.

One M-i-l-l-i-o-n dollars^^^ I meant dittos...
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

I did it for mine...it looks damn good and separates the car from the other models even more. I like the surround color as well with the wheels.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I did it for mine...it looks damn good and separates the car from the other models even more. I like the surround color as well with the wheels.
Did you get white?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I guess that is why they offer options, different tastes. I am getting a black car with black wheels and black headlights. I realize some may not care for this combination but I wanted a sinister look for this thing.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Did you get white?
no, rhodium silv.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whichever headlight option weighs less, that would be my choice.

Quick Reply: Black Headlights?