Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 'Ring Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Here is the official word on the new CL from Porsche.

I think its probably safe now to say that I have a friend who has been doing some consulting at the Ring late last year and seen the new GT3 being put through its paces and had a few discussions with test drivers and the like. The verdict without given too much away was that the car was incredibly quick, to the point whereby the first spirited test lap had everyone wondering what was coming next. Stability with the RWS at speed is impressive beyond expectation. The car can turn in flat without upsetting traction and the box was declared by all to be a revelation a it can put down every bit of power almost instantaneously. The big surprise was how fun it is apparently to drive. The clutch decoupling can allow for the rear attack angle to be adjusted quickly when confidence has built in the system and although not making for the fastest lap adds alot of fun and drama to the exercise. In short according to my research the new GT3 is an absolute weapon in the hands of those who can drive confidently and has also proven in testing to be reliable in regards to CL & RWS as far as is known.

Im assuming these test drivers (some of them contractors) are not in the game of putting their lives on the line running 7.20s Ring lap times without some confidence in the reliability of the machinery they are driving. If any of them thought there was a fair chance the wheels would come off they wouldn't get into the car in the first place. Most of the mules were uncaged and the drivers without safety gear. Any accident on a sub 7.30 ring from my experience is likely to take place between 120-270 kmph and not end peacefully!

Before I get stoned with "but of course he says that as hes buying one" let me just say - I don't care what anyone else thinks. Ive done as much of my own research as is possible on this car talking to those that have had some direct experience where I can (not easy!) and also accumulating many, many of pages of documentation from the factory on the car (alot of it technical and marketing sales briefs etc). Suffice to say "shut up and drive it" is really the only thing left to say. As I cant do that myself I'm left to gleen as much from people and sources that have.

Im happy to put my neck out and say that this car when it "breaks cover" will either leave those who have not ordered very dissapointed they did not get themselves on the wait list or alternatively will be an utter flop. Obviously Im hoping the former not latter but if the latter then the missus has a new daily driver LOL!
Well stated, Macca. I'll stick my neck out and say that the chances of your missus getting a new daily driver are extremely low!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall any 997 CL's falling off during testing either? Don't know that should be all that reassuring. There were plenty of laps done with the 997 RS, and one even completed the 24 hrs of the nurburgring with CL's, a far more ringing endorsement than a few isolated laps.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I don't recall any 997 CL's falling off during testing either? Don't know that should be all that reassuring. There were plenty of laps done with the 997 RS, and one even completed the 24 hrs of the nurburgring with CL's, a far more ringing endorsement than a few isolated laps.
Agreed.

But I bet PAG has it right on this roll. Engineers too good, too proud.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow! This thing looks incredibly fast.
I've been reading everybodies speculation on the 991GT3 & while I wish there was a manual option I'm betting this thing will be amazing! AP said there was 4 times the amount of development time on this as previous models. I also read somewhere that the PDK benchmark was the 458's....
AP has a great track record & I'm sure this will be an amazing machine....their reputation is on the line.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I think their reputation has already been damaged with the release of some of their decisions...

However for each of us who disagree with these decisions, a new person may come to the brand, and enjoy. The long run will tell the tale.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Here is the official word on the new CL from Porsche.

I think its probably safe now to say that I have a friend who has been doing some consulting at the Ring late last year and seen the new GT3 being put through its paces and had a few discussions with test drivers and the like. The verdict without given too much away was that the car was incredibly quick, to the point whereby the first spirited test lap had everyone wondering what was coming next. Stability with the RWS at speed is impressive beyond expectation. The car can turn in flat without upsetting traction and the box was declared by all to be a revelation a it can put down every bit of power almost instantaneously. The big surprise was how fun it is apparently to drive. The clutch decoupling can allow for the rear attack angle to be adjusted quickly when confidence has built in the system and although not making for the fastest lap adds alot of fun and drama to the exercise. In short according to my research the new GT3 is an absolute weapon in the hands of those who can drive confidently and has also proven in testing to be reliable in regards to CL & RWS as far as is known.

Im assuming these test drivers (some of them contractors) are not in the game of putting their lives on the line running 7.20s Ring lap times without some confidence in the reliability of the machinery they are driving. If any of them thought there was a fair chance the wheels would come off they wouldn't get into the car in the first place. Most of the mules were uncaged and the drivers without safety gear. Any accident on a sub 7.30 ring from my experience is likely to take place between 120-270 kmph and not end peacefully!

Before I get stoned with "but of course he says that as hes buying one" let me just say - I don't care what anyone else thinks. Ive done as much of my own research as is possible on this car talking to those that have had some direct experience where I can (not easy!) and also accumulating many, many of pages of documentation from the factory on the car (alot of it technical and marketing sales briefs etc). Suffice to say "shut up and drive it" is really the only thing left to say. As I cant do that myself I'm left to gleen as much from people and sources that have.

Im happy to put my neck out and say that this car when it "breaks cover" will either leave those who have not ordered very dissapointed they did not get themselves on the wait list or alternatively will be an utter flop. Obviously Im hoping the former not latter but if the latter then the missus has a new daily driver LOL!
I'm getting deja vu...
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I'm getting deja vu...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:31 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"improved suitability for track use." Where's the "*" w/ the disclaimer "However Any track use will void the warranty."???

Looks like engineering got one thru the legal dept.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great out there. Looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 'Ring Video