GT3 internals video. File this under "Oh, brother!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT3 internals video. File this under "Oh, brother!"

Here's a new vid from Porsche in the over the top, "who talks like that?!" genre of absurdly emphatic marketing blather ... file this one under "Oh, brother!" : )

Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

silly
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Watched it with the sound off. Awesome!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just turned the sound on....its an American accent.....nothing strange about it to my ears LOL!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

He forgot to mention what the system does to tire wear when turning the wheels to the opposite direction at low speeds...
I like this guy's voice,he's perfect...Porsche is probably paying him a lot of money for this BS.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh. same guy who did the 997 gt3 launch.

i'll file this under the WGAS category.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Such a cool car...
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
He forgot to mention what the system does to tire wear when turning the wheels to the opposite direction at low speeds...

Intuitively, it seems to me that with the rear wheels turning in the opposite direction (all of 1.5 deg) turn in would be facilitated and there would actually be less tire scrub at the rear than if the tires remained "straight ahead". No?

Actually, the rear wheels are already passively "steering" as part of normal rear suspension design, so with this process being more tightly controlled by active RWS one could in theory expect better tire wear. In reality, this concern is probably a total non-issue.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how will changing the alignment of the rear on the new GT3 will affect the RWS...
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
I wonder how will changing the alignment of the rear on the new GT3 will affect the RWS...
I don't know, but my guess is that basic rear alignment will be done exactly as it is now, with the same general results for various tweaks. I'm trying to think why making alignment changes to the rear with RWS would be any different than making changes to the front, where FWS has a hugely larger range of motion. Maybe one of our suspension experts (Petevb?) can weigh in.....
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike you are correct. From what the engineers have already said of this system for both the GT3 and TT/S the RWS actually will reduce tire wear (let load on side) and it keeps temperatures across the surface of the tire lower and more consistent for track use. I had it in a 1990s prelude and there was no discernible additional tire wear however it must be said it was critical to have the correct alignment and this is done with the wheels in the dead ahead static position....
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

One thing they keep showing in all the videos is left foot braking. I am wondering are the pedals going to be adjusted to make that easier. I tried exclusively left foot braking (F1-style ) in an e90 M3, and the brake pedal is too much to the right to do that comfortably - my leg started falling asleep. But even with my lack of practice it seemed faster when I managed to do it right - in some tight turns being able to go from trailbraking to throttle without any pause allows for smooth rotation without understeer, as well braking later without oversteer in downhill sweepers (e.g. 1 and 4 at mostport).

So what do you think about full-time left foot braking in the new GT3 - is it the way to go?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I like the videos - think they are well done. There's just alot of acronyms to try to keep track off and the list keeps growing!

Think left foot braking would take a lot of practice for me - but then again I also have the clutch pedal to deal with.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
One thing they keep showing in all the videos is left foot braking. I am wondering are the pedals going to be adjusted to make that easier. I tried exclusively left foot braking (F1-style ) in an e90 M3, and the brake pedal is too much to the right to do that comfortably - my leg started falling asleep. But even with my lack of practice it seemed faster when I managed to do it right - in some tight turns being able to go from trailbraking to throttle without any pause allows for smooth rotation without understeer, as well braking later without oversteer in downhill sweepers (e.g. 1 and 4 at mostport).

So what do you think about full-time left foot braking in the new GT3 - is it the way to go?
Good point! If you look closely at the pedal cluster on this later spy photograph (San Francisco) you will see the brake pedal is wide and offset towards the accelerator and the accelerator pedal is angled towards the bottom towards the brake pedal!

Im starting to think learning left food braking in an automatic will be a very handy skill to have to drive this PDK-S car quickly on the track. Im starting practice today in my auto pick up truck (it takes a long time to get that left foot working as sensitively on the brake pedal as the right one!)....so there are still some skills to learn to make quick progress even in the PDK GT3! Yay. Love a challenge!
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience, the only way to develop feel for left foot braking is to use your left foot in your road car every day and in every car you drive. It's the muscle memory that creates that unconscious teamwork between your left foot big toe, calf, quads and somewhere between the base of your spine and somewhere in whatever part of your brain learns that "map" of how to do something unconsciously.

Anyone with halfway decent strength and balance can left foot brake, but it takes concentration/focus/attention/effort that detracts from the other stuff you're doing on track (such as staying on track ...)

I used to reserve left foot braking (LFB?) for only those turns where it was really compulsory (eg. T2 at Laguna) but in the 996 GT3, the car pretty much told me I needed to get with the program and keep the pressure on the nose of the car while transitioning to power.

I find LFB to be hard to explain, but relatively easy to learn, then it's just a matter of practice and repetition with attention to the balance of the car. An SUV makes for a great teaching car. Even in a straight line at a walking pace, just feel the brake on and off, then balance that with the throttle so that you're feeding in power without gaining or losing speed and you can feel the car "compress."

Porsche limits the amount of time brake and throttle can be applied simultaneously. This is said to prevent the "panic" situation where an incompetent driver will push their right foot onto the brake and inadvertently depress the throttle -- this can lead to some of those YouTube videos of cars lurching into shop fronts, etc. -- but the time required to effectively transition is only the time taken to move from wide open throttle to full brakes, then from the peak braking and steering input at the apex to zero brake as the car tracks out and away from the apex. If anything the brake-throttle helps as a reminder when one becomes lazy (and slow) with the left foot.

PDK understands left foot braking, even in the 997.2 cars, it's smooth and doesn't make mistakes. I have to imagine the numerous computers all futzing around with the 991 GT3 will have a game plan and to drive the car as quickly as possible, you'll simply have to adapt to that plan. I'm not too happy about that approach (it's sort of like getting a good score on a video game, you're no longer exercising a raw skill so much as learning to pass a multiple choice test by process of elimination ... that's not the raw learning of a skill, that's the adaptation to a virtual environment created by software people.)

Quick Reply: GT3 internals video. File this under "Oh, brother!"