Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche is offering as an option on the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

No doubt there are some dedicated track guy's on this site. But the reality is they are in the distinct minority. Most buy Porsche's not for the track but for DD with a very occasional track usage. Porsche knows this and it is why they have gone toward a more DD oriented car. Though I have tracked often and attended many track schools included the first Porsche experience and advanced school plus Ferrari schools my interest is not in tracking.

I am buying the GT3 because it maintains its rawness which I can enjoy in those brief stretches of road and situations. But I don't want to drive a car that is harsh riding for DD. Apparently Porsche has moderated the GT3 to allow some comfort of DD. That is music to my ears and I put down the deposit. I also like my creature comforts and Porsche is providing that as well. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
No doubt there are some dedicated track guy's on this site. But the reality is they are in the distinct minority. Most buy Porsche's not for the track but for DD with a very occasional track usage. Porsche knows this and it is why they have gone toward a more DD oriented car. Though I have tracked often and attended many track schools included the first Porsche experience and advanced school plus Ferrari schools my interest is not in tracking.

Apparently Porsche has moderated the GT3 to allow some comfort of DD. That is music to my ears and I put down the deposit. I also like my creature comforts and Porsche is providing that as well. Best of both worlds.
Nick I think too often you post opinion as fact. IMO. A salesguy from Beverly Hills perceptions must be taken in stride; does anyone here really believe that a Porsche Beverly Hills customer represents a typical Porsche customer, but more the point, a GT customer? Seriously. GT3 buyers around my parts actually do go to the track. Regularly. But then again we have the new F1 track and 2 private tracks w/i 30 minutes from downtown, and some great venues in Dallas and Houston.

There are far more GT customers in places not filled with the uber rich, who earn a paycheck every week and pay for their new rig based on earned income, who are enthusiasts, who wash their rigs with their own hands, and track them every weekend the wife allows.

From what's been published, and trying to distinguish marketing speak from facts the best I can, I think it will prove a car that simply has wider appeal. Better on the street and faster on track*. That doesn't mean that it's 'moderated' or 'softer'. But rather, I think it will prove to have a wider envelope of performance and appeal.

* faster on track does not mean better on track, as 'better' implicates a set of characteristics that only time will bear out.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

It is possible we are discussing this past one another. My point is a buyer of a GT3 is not buying for the track. He/she is buying for DD and possible track. In some areas, GT3 owners may track their cars more. In other areas that is not the case for a variety of reasons including:

1. with taxes $150,000 car running with other drivers of unknown ability,
2. distance form the track,
3.wear and tear on the car and expenses to repair,
4.Porsche's disclaimer regarding voiding warranties if breakdown occurs or is related to track events,
5. Cheaper alternatives for track enjoyment
6. Insurance concerns

and so.

There is a reason most performance cars now have features which allow the driver to change the car driving dynamics from DD setting to allow for sport driving. Failure to have this feature would make the car less attractive because the car would be used primarily for DD.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Aesthetics aside, are you saying the LEDs are safer, brighter, more effective?

I've had HIDs (bi zenon or whatever) in my last two rigs (997S and 997 GT3). Those lights were great.
I don't know, I've never driven a car with them, nor has anyone else on this board.

I'm assuming they're going to offer things you haven't considered. The car's full specification and options are not yet released so I think we'll have a few surprises in store when the cars ultimately arrive late this year.

If I had to guess which is all I can do, the lights will be a big turn on and an often ordered option for the GT3's we order. Most people buying a $150,000 car want something to differentiate them from the pack, the LED lights give the 991 GT3 one of those unique que's that to this point can't be ordered on any other car minus the Turbo TurboS.

Originally Posted by Nick

I am buying the GT3 because it maintains its rawness which I can enjoy in those brief stretches of road and situations. But I don't want to drive a car that is harsh riding for DD. Apparently Porsche has moderated the GT3 to allow some comfort of DD. That is music to my ears and I put down the deposit. I also like my creature comforts and Porsche is providing that as well. Best of both worlds.
You'll be fine in a GT3 as a daily driver. If you can tolerate the 997 GT3 then the 991 will ride even better. That extra 4" of wheelbase does wonders for crappy LA roads at highway speeds.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some info on the LED headlights....

LED main headlight, including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
An innovative all-LED-headlight system is optionally available on the new 911 GT3. The headlight system consists of the following features:
• Headlights with low/high beams as well as an auxiliary high beam and 4-point daytime driving lights in LED technology
• Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with dynamic headlight levelling, speed-dependent driving light control, dynamic cornering light and headlight cleaning system
The central element of this system is the all-LED headlight. It consists primarily of the following 4 components:
• Basic module
• PDLS module
• Auxiliary high beam
• Daytime driving lights

The light system offers the following customer benefits:
Customer benefits

Visual Differentiation • Attractive headlight design • Daytime driving lights and night design clearly differentiated

Driving Safety• Fatigue-free driving thanks to daylight-similar LED light colour for higher perception of contrast

Efficiency • Lower power consumption• Service life of the LEDs several times longer than Xenon lights

Comfort • Light function with no switch-on delay

The basic module located in the upper part of the all-LED headlights is part of the low beam and ensures broad, even illumination of the road. The 2nd part of the low beam is located under it in the PDLS module. With its swing function and variable light distribution, this enables the following PDLS functions: dynamic cornering light, country road light and motorway light.
The auxiliary high beam in the upper part of the all-LED headlight consists of the two sub-components and is located left and right of the basic module. Its high position and auxiliary function further improve road illumination for better driving safety, in particular at high speeds.
All LED headlights are functionally designed as a reflector/lens system, meaning the light of all low beam and high beam functions of the light source (LED) is projected onto the road via a reflector, lens and rotating drum (PDLS functions).
Visually, the all-LED headlights consist of two tune-shaped light housings arranged stepwise with bevelled lens contour above and below. The dynamic design of the all-LED headlights is completed by an attractive colour scheme for the individual headlight components.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
frayed
Race Car

Interesting . But it seems the major benefits are PDLS (which can be had w/o LED) and aesthetics.

Having trouble getting excited about them.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Copyright Porsche AG

Copyright Porsche AG
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Interesting . But it seems the major benefits are PDLS (which can be had w/o LED) and aesthetics.

Having trouble getting excited about them.
Me too. I might have been more interested if they had offered LED's without the extra weight of PDLS, which should also have allowed a lower price. Anyway, HID's are great lights; hard to imagine any improvement being more than incremental and esthetics are a wash, AFAIC.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Something Im not sure Ive seen mentioned in this thread is that the LED lights also offer 4 settings including "country driving" and "Highway". This is mentioned in the sales literature. I believe the lights may angle differently, pattern differently and be of different intensities dependent on the speed and type of driving. For example down a dark country late travelling at 70 mph the beam spread, angle of the unit tracking the wheels and intensity would all differ from driving on a typical multi lane lit highway at night etc...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Something Im not sure Ive seen mentioned in this thread is that the LED lights also offer 4 settings including "country driving" and "Highway". This is mentioned in the sales literature. I believe the lights may angle differently, pattern differently and be of different intensities dependent on the speed and type of driving. For example down a dark country late travelling at 70 mph the beam spread, angle of the unit tracking the wheels and intensity would all differ from driving on a typical multi lane lit highway at night etc...
I wouldn't be surprised if the LED's offered more functionality in that area, but part of it comes from PDLS itself. The HID lights with PDLS on my Cayenne S also change distribution pattern and throw as vehicle speeds increase.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Mooty is correct. Engine, chassis and gearbox.

Everything else is bull**** on a GT3. That about sums up the priority list.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

And what's wrong with adding weight to the pointy end?

Quick Reply: Porsche is offering as an option on the GT3