Sponsored by:

BMW M4

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
1M. Or M2, when that comes. Lower polar moment makes it wieldier the an E9X M3, but also more of a handful. Much more in scale with the M3s of old.
I do like the idea of the 1M, however it's just so "cute".

*Edit* - I just looked up the M2. This has definitely got my attention. Looks much better than the 1M, and the size/weight will likely be much lower than the M4 (which will regardless be out of my price range I'm sure). Throw on some Active Autowerke software onto the M2, and it will be an M4 killer no doubt.
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Owned a '13 M3 DCT....overall good, but thirsty (13 mpg city), DCT
shifts hard + at low speed in the auto mode jerky & unpredictable. PDK is
smoother. Optional BMW performance exhaust w/V8 sounds great.

German rice magnet....

Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the 1M is badass, with the mega flares; dude in my neighborhood has a white one. Too bad they discontinued it.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like BMW marketing is having some fun with Porsche marketing.

The car looks bloated and indistinguishable from the 3 Series. The design is overly complicated with "too many crease lines is never enough."

Perhaps Porsche is doing the same thing as BMW did with the 3 Series, just make it bigger from one model to the next until it opens up a gap for a "smaller" model beneath it.

Overall, I just can't get excited about BMW (or Mercedes, other than their diesel SUVs.)

There's just nothing about BMW since the 3.0 CSL that really has my attention. Every time I think "okay, this should be worth trying" it turns out to be another underwhelming car. Same with Audi and Mercedes for a decade now. Audi started shoehorning interesting engines in their cars and the R8 came along, but aside from its striking design, they all turned out to be yawns. Sometimes they're great daily drivers or novel weekend "try it once" track day cars.

They've gone to the "focus group generalized appeal, design by committee in beige." Porsche is now following BMW and Mercedes into that box canyon with OEM "solutions" like electric steering and generic cabins that have forsaken the cabin design of the 911 that has endured for half a century.

It's bitter irony that Porsche will "celebrate" those 50 years at the same time as ignoring and asking its enthusiasts to deny the fact that the 2013 model cars are not faithful to the legacy. When VW turns them into a margin-driven brand on their balance sheet, it's going to be hard for anyone left at Porsche with the determination to right the ship and bring it about to its correct course and heading.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I think the 1M is badass, with the mega flares; dude in my neighborhood has a white one. Too bad they discontinued it.
+1 And only offered with a manual to boot....
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love that original picture. Hopefully the actual car is close. Very strong contender for next car - if going new.

Have an 06 M3 also and love it, as well as the value the M cars offer in terms of performance and great practicality.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
+1

No match for the GT3. A nice and more bling alternative to the Carrera. If there is a true CSL around the corner then it will get very interesting
Guys above... Why even bring this up at all? The M3's are sporty sedans or coupe with two very large doors and reasonable back seat.

GT3 is among the most dedicated pure sports cars for the track you can buy. They better not be at all close in any performance measurement, because if so then that's not looking so good for the pure sports car.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the new M4 compete with the GT3 either, unless they bring out a CSL version, which they sadly didn't do for the E9x series either. Sure, the M3 GTS was great, but hardly competitive in terms of price and performance, let alone value for money.

Have been driving an 1M for the last year now and absolutely adore it. Bought that car impulsively after I got screwed by the Porsche dealer and didn't get the allocated / down-paid GT3 RS 4.0. Even though it is obviously not comparable (apart from also being a good-old manual and RWD, that is), I got to like it so much that I got rid of my new 2012 GT-R, since I ended up driving the 1M all the time.

After 6 years, I'm back in Porsche territory. I should get one of the first 991 GT3s, confirmed production July, expected delivery in September. I can't wait to drive it, but will 'never' sell the 1M... even when the 458 'Scuderia' (or whatever they'll call it) arrives early 2014...
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTom77
I don't see the new M4 compete with the GT3 either, unless they bring out a CSL version, which they sadly didn't do for the E9x series either. Sure, the M3 GTS was great, but hardly competitive in terms of price and performance, let alone value for money.

Have been driving an 1M for the last year now and absolutely adore it. Bought that car impulsively after I got screwed by the Porsche dealer and didn't get the allocated / down-paid GT3 RS 4.0. Even though it is obviously not comparable (apart from also being a good-old manual and RWD, that is), I got to like it so much that I got rid of my new 2012 GT-R, since I ended up driving the 1M all the time.

After 6 years, I'm back in Porsche territory. I should get one of the first 991 GT3s, confirmed production July, expected delivery in September. I can't wait to drive it, but will 'never' sell the 1M... even when the 458 'Scuderia' (or whatever they'll call it) arrives early 2014...
I'm going to have to drive one. I didn't know it was that much fun.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
IHave been driving an 1M for the last year now and absolutely adore it. Bought that car impulsively after I got screwed by the Porsche dealer and didn't get the allocated / down-paid GT3 RS 4.0. Even though it is obviously not comparable (apart from also being a good-old manual and RWD, that is), I got to like it so much that I got rid of my new 2012 GT-R, since I ended up driving the 1M all the time.
+1

I've been DDing a 1M for the last year and a half as well. Best street car I've ever owned, and can't think of anything I'd trade it in for. I've got a couple Porsches for different rolls, but for a fun, practical every day car with a wild side BMW hit the nail on the head. Porsche should take notes while considering the Cayman GT3.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

That BMW Z4 that raced in the Sebring 12hr race with the flared fenders looked really cool. I wish they'd make that look for the street.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Wow, hang on here, I think it looks pretty cool!

They cost about $65-70K I think.
Manual I like, weight @ 3400lbs is so-so, but maybe they can make a stripper track version?

But it's a Turbo right?
Pretty much every 335 goes into limp mode after 2 laps...

If dependable it would be a serious alternative to the C2S manual!
Yes, turbo. And yes, $65-70k nicely optioned. Rumors were 450hp but I guess not if these specs are accurate.

Quick Reply: BMW M4