Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3 is the new 996.1 GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I love your car choices and hypotheticals.
The Corvette wot replace 4.0 nothing wrong with having 3 TRAKCAR's.
The Mustang is getting anew engine installed at the moment. The 4.0 is resting while I focus on work. I've been scanning autotrader for 500E's and older M5's and even older MB's, may go for a test drive in a 71 250s tomorrow, but the dream is a 300sel 6.3.
Also like RWB964 as a daily.

Too bad I have only a 2 car garage, but I'm looking to build a car port....
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
LOL..yeah that would THE DAY!...you giving me a point by.

I often dream what I could do with my GTS if I sent it over to BGB for the Grand AM treatment and then did some cool for power and reliability mods.

But yeah a 997TTS would be a fun street/DE car.
Bah, you take a TTS to John Tecce and its game over.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
You already own the closest thing to a race car for the street! Forget the 991GT3...the 4.0 is much more awesome in every regard.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

4.0 is pinnacle.
apex.
top gun.
dog's *****.

no need to look further. keep the 4.0!

over here, people used to be loyal.
drink vb, watch the same channel everyday, eat meat+3 veg every day, drive a falcon or kingswood, sleep with same wife.
then, arrived mass consumerism and advertising, where you were offered choices, and people said, " hey, gee that looks alright, eh!?" frequent upgrading, supersizing, chopping, changing..... slowly, but surely, becomes the norm.
today, with the help of the internet, we are bombarded with choices and information overload; to the point where it is destroying our discretionary powers. people don't know what they want anymore because there is just too much choice. especially if you have the income to indulge your whims.
ever played xbox with a 10 year old?
ask them to choose a car....you will be waiting for 10 minutes before you start applying pressure...
they cannot decide.
i believe, regardless of experience of growing old, this generation will still not be able to make firm decisions.
the 991gt3 is for these people. people who don't know. it's not for the inner sanctum anymore.
it's a multi-compromise, tailored just so to gain maximum market potential.
part race
part road
part tech
part gangnam bling
part comfort
part prestige
too many parts, but with it's important racing legacy mostly diluted to taste.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

A prediction: Once the reports and reviews come in of what the 991 GT3 really is and can do, as opposed to what some people think it is and can do, it's going to be very entertaining to watch the logical contortions.....
Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

4.0 is pinnacle.
apex.
top gun.
dog's *****.

no need to look further. keep the 4.0!

drink vb, watch the same channel everyday, eat meat+3 veg every day, drive a falcon or kingswood, sleep with same wife.
then, arrived mass consumerism and advertising, where you were offered choices, and people said, " hey, gee that looks alright, eh!?" frequent upgrading, supersizing, chopping, changing..... slowly, but surely, becomes the norm.
today, with the help of the internet, we are bombarded with choices and information overload; to the point where it is destroying our discretionary powers. people don't know what they want anymore because there is just too much choice. especially if you have the income to indulge your whims.
ever played xbox with a 10 year old?
ask them to choose a car....you will be waiting for 10 minutes before you start applying pressure...
they cannot decide.
i believe, regardless of experience of growing old, this generation will still not be able to make firm decisions.
the 991gt3 is for these people. people who don't know. it's not for the inner sanctum anymore.
it's a multi-compromise, tailored just so to gain maximum market potential.
part race
part road
part tech
part gangnam bling
part comfort
part prestige
too many parts, but with it's important racing legacy mostly diluted to taste.
No different over here either.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
A prediction: Once the reports and reviews come in of what the 991 GT3 really is and can do, as opposed to what some people think it is and can do, it's going to be very entertaining to watch the logical contortions.....
LOL...so true!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not me.
i will be sticking to my guns
Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Aussie jimmy. I agree with everything you say.

Will say that its harder to design a car that does everything well than one thing very well. I've been trying for years and six figures to create a 993 that handles better than the 993RS, has more luxury than the 993TT and is light and brought up to date with modern improvements (shocks lights and other).

Low Res. information here for those that are interested...

If the 991 GT3 can achieve a similar delicate balance of traits and pull it off it will be the perfect all round car I reckon...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
carerra_anniversary_A5_v8.pdf (1.15 MB, 120 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

not me.
i will be sticking to my guns
Your mind is made up, mate....don't confuse you with facts!

Just having some fun.....
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Aussie Jimmy.

Glad to hear you wont be joining us on the RHD 991 GT3 list. Gotta keep that list freed up to guarantee a posse LOL!

I say keep what you have got or go out and buy a good old fashioned hairy balled 964 RS. Lightening those up works a treat for track work. Get another 50Kg out of them and have a Motec conversion and you can run 300 bhp for 1100 kg. They re alot of fun on the rtrack...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

For now I guess just to make a point I will get a Corvette, manual, real drive sump, sport seats, CF roof and hood for 60k, all not possible on a 150k VW'ed GT3..
Just curious why you think new GT3 is not a real dry sump?

"The engine oil supply is vital at the limits of sporty performance, especially in the presence of the powerful lateral and longitudinal forces that can be experienced on the racetrack.

Two oil scavenge pumps per cylinder head and two scavenge pumps in the crankcase return the engine oil quickly and efficiently to the external tank. In conjunction with the electronically controlled oil pressure pump, this means that the engine has a reliable supply of oil to the crankshaft drive and both cylinder banks.

The new 911 GT3 is factory-filled with Mobil 1 fully synthetic high-performance oil. The excellent lubrication properties of this oil ensure a reliable cold start, even at very low temperatures, and contribute not least to the durability of the engine."
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 AM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
LOL! Indeed
Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Aussie jimmy. I agree with everything you say.

Will say that its harder to design a car that does everything well than one thing very well. I've been trying for years and six figures to create a 993 that handles better than the 993RS, has more luxury than the 993TT and is light and brought up to date with modern improvements (shocks lights and other).

Low Res. information here for those that are interested...

If the 991 GT3 can achieve a similar delicate balance of traits and pull it off it will be the perfect all round car I reckon...
Originally Posted by Macca
Aussie Jimmy.

Glad to hear you wont be joining us on the RHD 991 GT3 list. Gotta keep that list freed up to guarantee a posse LOL!

I say keep what you have got or go out and buy a good old fashioned hairy balled 964 RS. Lightening those up works a treat for track work. Get another 50Kg out of them and have a Motec conversion and you can run 300 bhp for 1100 kg. They re alot of fun on the rtrack...
Macca, your 993 is an inspiration - one of the best done cars on the entire forum. But done to the highest standards and at a very high cost, I'm sure.

One of the biggest cop outs of automotive writing is "soul", but that cars that do it all too well, that are too competent, have less soul than the compromised cars that get under your skin.

I use my 993 as a DD/sole car and sometimes - after reading on RL or talking about cars with a friend - I'll get it out late at night after work and go for a drive to experience all those unique qualities. The 991 GT3 is almost "too good" for itself, especially in comparison to the older GT3s.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Guest89. Thanks for the kind words. I'm very envious you get to drive your 993 so often. They are a great DD (used mine for years in this role).

You may be right about the 991 GT3 being too good at everything and loosing some soul. The PDK could certainly have the potential to make it that way. Like in the Ferrari's there is the possibility it will also add some drama and fun. I guess we wont know till someone gets to drive one and report back. If that does become the case however it will only take a quick "soul drive" on the 993 to get those wonderful feelings back again!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry jimmy but i ain't buying that ...at all.

in this new information rich age loyalty has to be (re) earnt...every single time the vendor comes to market.

effectively...the advent of choice has displaced pseudo-loyalty that arose because you lacked alternates...

i celebrate an era in which diversity of options affords the ability to be a discriminating selector as opposed to a price taker....

discretionary powers have not been destroyed...rather you just have more data upon which to better structure/evaluate the decision tree.

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3 is the new 996.1 GT3!