Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by PoloTurbo; 03-20-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riz
GT3 and RS' always had the cup car engine.
This is based on what? Porsche marketing material?

So how similar are the RS and cup engines? 100% of the parts? 90%? 80% My guess is they are not as similar as people have been led to believe. Both based on the Mezger design, but that does not mean much in the end.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836

...I am waiting to see the specs of the Turbo and if it's offered in manual, based of the C4S chassis I am expecting it to also to be the lightest water cooled Turbo ever and with the GT3 weight now at 3150 lbs. I'm guessing it to be very close in weight and a lot of the gizmos as pay for options....
Unfortunately, you need to be prepared for the 991 turbo to out-gizmo even the GTR-all electronic, AWD, AWS, PTV, PDK, loaded up like a Mercedes Benz....
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Unfortunately, you need to be prepared for the 991 turbo to out-gizmo even the GTR-all electronic, AWD, AWS, PTV, PDK, loaded up like a Mercedes Benz....
I could see what your saying for the Turbo S, usually though the Turbo is pretty plain, get's full leather compared to a base 4S but that's it. If there is no manual offered then the price will jump up as did the GT3. No point in me looking at buying a new 911 if there is no manual. I'll make due with what I have and spend my money else where. A 996 cup or one of those interstate Cayman race cars peek my interest.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I could see what your saying for the Turbo S, usually though the Turbo is pretty plain, get's full leather compared to a base 4S but that's it.
Agreed with you. Unfortunately the new GT3 is just like a Carrera S with body and power kit.
I used to get very excited when a new GT3 or RS came out. This new one I have zero interest in.
We used to tease the fast GT-R drivers at track that they are fast because their cars are so easy to drive fast. Guess who I'll be talking to next?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Agreed with you. Unfortunately the new GT3 is just like a Carrera S with body and power kit.
I used to get very excited when a new GT3 or RS came out. This new one I have zero interest in.
We used to tease the fast GT-R drivers at track that they are fast because their cars are so easy to drive fast. Guess who I'll be talking to next?
Tim, your lack of interest is subjective and perfectly reasonable. Your comparision of the new GT3 and Carrera S must be based on facts, and it just isn't.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Found this interesting and had a laugh, same marketing stuff from back in 2001. Just change out Tipronic with PDK.
source

After driving the Turbo with a manual transmission, I stepped into the Turbo with the Tiptronic. Personally, I prefer a traditional manual transmission in a car like this, but the new Tiptronic S in the Turbo has made believers out of many who have driven it, including Hurley Haywood who said he preferred the Tiptronic to the manual transmission.

The new Tiptronic S can be shifted manually by pressing on the up/down buttons on the steering wheel spokes, but Hurley advised me not to use them – just let the transmission do the shifting. In many ways, the Tiptronic imitates how a driver would shift with a manual transmission. When accelerating hard, the Tiptronic waits until the engine reaches redline before shifting, and won’t automatically shift up if you coast for a few moments. As you brake, the transmission shifts down one gear at a time, anticipating the need for more engine revs as you exit the next corner.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the Tiptronic is that it allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel which allows him/her to drive more smoothly and more safely. The driver can focus on steering and braking – in racing this can reduce lap times, and on the road, it increases safety by reducing the number of tasks the driver has to concentrate on.

Porsche’s own track tests at Mission indicated that the Tiptronic-equipped Turbo will post faster lap times than the manual-equipped Turbo.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

I could see what your saying for the Turbo S, usually though the Turbo is pretty plain, get's full leather compared to a base 4S but that's it. If there is no manual offered then the price will jump up as did the GT3. No point in me looking at buying a new 911 if there is no manual. I'll make due with what I have and spend my money else where. A 996 cup or one of those interstate Cayman race cars peek my interest.
This is old news already! The new Turbo will be PDK only as someone already posted here :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/744648-turbo-991-a.html

I'm very disappointed and lost hope. I bet you the new RS will be PDK only as well!

Last edited by neanicu; 03-15-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Link not working
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is old news already! The new Turbo will be PDK only as someone already posted here :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/744648-turbo-991-a.html

I'm very disappointed and lost hope. I bet you the new RS will be PDK only as well!
hmm, well this sucks. Time to get drunk.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

Found this interesting and had a laugh, same marketing stuff from back in 2001. Just change out Tipronic with PDK.
source
Guys like Hurley Haywood and Walter Rohrl have built careers as drivers at the absolute top of their professions with impeccable reputations. I've met Hurley and he is very approachable, straightforward, and a true gentleman. But as soon as these guys make comments that don't happen to match some people's pre-conceived notions, those career-long reputations are forgotten and they are written off as marketing stooges. I find that interesting.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-15-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of two things, either AP is a yes man/politician and will make whatever argument fits his agenda. OR it's just beyond his control and he's saying what he has to to sell cars.

Only people close to him will really know. But it would be nice for a magazine editor to call him on his previous comments, as he was nearly equally strong in his comments against manuals this go round.

I brought this up in the other AP thread.

He said it for Top gear interview
"Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging"

He also said
"The manual gearbox in the GT3 is the best match for the purist."
Source Porsche 911 GT3 First Drive Video. | October 01, 2009 | Edmunds

From 06 March 2013 interview he said in this interview when talking about why they choose PDK.

"And on a race track the PDK gains three-quarters of a car length with every shift, so after a long straight you’re ahead of the other car and can turn-in in front of him."

To me that is fine, PDK is faster but really do I care. No I'd rather lose the car length and enjoy beating my own drum. After all the GT3 is about having the rawest version of the latest generation car and keeping it the most involving experience, It not about racing.

I am waiting to see the specs of the Turbo and if it's offered in manual, based of the C4S chassis I am expecting it to also to be the lightest water cooled Turbo ever and with the GT3 weight now at 3150 lbs. I'm guessing it to be very close in weight and a lot of the gizmos as pay for options.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM
wanna911
Race Car

source
I recall that nonsense. Porsche was planning an auto takeover way back then trying to tout the new and improved tip that I believe they got from Mercedes as better than a manual.

As if a works driver is actually going to say what they feel to the media......
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911
One of two things, either AP is a yes man/politician and will make whatever argument fits his agenda. OR it's just beyond his control and he's saying what he has to to sell cars.
AP is employed by Porsche and he represents his employer in the interviews. It is that simple
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Ya think? I'm talking about his personal view.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ya think? I'm talking about his personal view.
He is not saying his personal view, that is the point.

Not that it really matters. WR, AP, etc. are all voices for their employer.

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger and the 991 gt3 - and 10RS