991.2 GT3 vs 991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 09:59 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
I agree with this.

RS is bigger, feels bigger, sits taller, larger tire contact patches = less initial responsiveness and more steering numbness. (I run the same tires and alignment specs on both, and both have iron discs.) Base feels more road connected, responsive, nimbler at street speeds.

For me, under 100 mph, everything on the street, prefer GT3. Over 100 mph, especially under braking from 100+, RS. Not to oversimplify, but that's where the RS was really engineered to excel and differentiate itself, and that's basically what it does in my view.

RS also responds favorably to strong driver inputs on track, make seemingly impossible demands of the systems, engineering, brakes, aero and it says ok. It's a brute. Base requires more measured, deliberate (and continuous) inputs to get the best of out of it.

I enjoy and appreciate both, but for quite different reasons as I use them.
well said. It’s almost as if Porsche engineered those two cars this way. 😉
The GT3 is an excellent sports car that is ready and capable to be flogged in a track. Meanwhile, the RS is a track car that is also legal to drive on the street.

if track is less than 20% of the use, then a GT3 makes the most sense per your description. A GT3 is better at non track drives and non triple digit speeds, while the RS is superior to GT3 on track and/or triple digit speeds.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-23-2024 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:11 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 287 Posts

The only thing for me is — the base 991.2 gt3 pdk does not have the same logic as the RS pdk; and for me it’s seems impossible to want to own a non-RS pdk (in a GT car) after having experienced RS pdk in my Spyder RS, which basically has the technology of a 991.2 RS. Those instantaneous and violent downshifts upon hard braking while in pdk sport mode (and not in manual mode) do wonders for the 10/10ths driving experience; and for me the purpose of owning pdk is so shifting myself is one less thing to do while focusing on being a maniac around turns. I am fortunate to have manual cars but I have come to really embrace RS pdk.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
The only thing for me is — the base 991.2 gt3 pdk does not have the same logic as the RS pdk; and for me it’s seems impossible to want to own a non-RS pdk (in a GT car) after having experienced RS pdk in my Spyder RS, which basically has the technology of a 991.2 RS. Those instantaneous and violent downshifts upon hard braking while in pdk sport mode (and not in manual mode) do wonders for the 10/10ths driving experience; and for me the purpose of owning pdk is so shifting myself is one less thing to do while focusing on being a maniac around turns. I am fortunate to have manual cars but I have come to really embrace RS pdk.
I agree the shifts will be more violent and immediate in the 991.2 RS.
I felt the 991.2 GT3 PDK was inferior to the 991.1 GT3 PDK, it seems that for the second generation 991 GT cars, that Porsche reserved the best PDK for the RS.

I’m definitely looking forward to experiencing the SRS PDK when I do ED with my Spyder RS in August.

But I have no interest in moving to an RS from a GT3 for the reasons outlined by paradiseGT3

Last edited by Drifting; 06-23-2024 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 10:43 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I agree the shifts will be more violent and immediate in the 991.2 RS.
I felt the 991.2 GT3 PDK was inferior to the 991.1 GT3 PDK, it seems that for the second generation 991 GT cars, that Porsche reserved the best PDK for the RS.

I’m definitely looking forward to experiencing the SRS PDK when I do ED with my Spyder RS in August.

But I have no interest in moving to an RS from a GT3 for the reasons
Not sure how much of the RS pdk experience you’ll have while breaking the car in and using the autobahns. After break-in on the twisties is when the beast will really be unleashed. But autobahns are fun, I miss them. My personal speed record is 180mph in a 2002 gated Ferrari 360 Modena. Like butter.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-23-2024 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:41 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 916 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
well said. It’s almost as if Porsche engineered those two cars this way. 😉
The GT3 is an excellent sports car that is ready and capable to be flogged in a track. Meanwhile, the RS is a track car that is also legal to drive on the street.

if track is less than 20% of the use, then a GT3 makes the most sense per your description. A GT3 is better at non track drives and non triple digit speeds, while the RS is superior to GT3 on track and/or triple digit speeds.
Yes, and I think that in the abstract, the base GT3 is regularly underestimated as a track weapon because of the RS. While the RS is overestimated as a street car because... I don't know why lol. Nothing about it says let's go get groceries. RS does have better sound characteristics, and it can deliver some memorable, fun exchanges around town & at the track. Particularly once people realize you're not uptight about it.

To give due points to the RS, what it does in RS territory on track really is ridiculous. The go fast components integration is incredible; everything works in harmony to help keep the car under control and go faster. Has a sort of speed AI. Base GT3 does not inspire the same confidence, and it simply will not do what the RS will do approaching the limit. The higher the speeds the more the RS is differentiated. Different experiences when turning the wheel at 120-130 mph, or braking from 150+.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 vs 991.2 GT3 RS