Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 02:10 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by avc2014
Question for Moe Mistry. How long do you suggest leaving ppf on a car ? I recently had two cars re wrapped after 7 years and it was a bit of mess . From my experience I am going to stick to the 5 year rule ? Thoughts ?
that’s an excellent question, and one we encounter during our operation

how long a film can safely be on a car is dependent on a few factors:

1. film - I can’t tell you how many times when I ask a new client what film is on the car, they don’t know. It’s very important to have that information documented in an invoice, brochure, warranty card, etc.

High-line films that have been around for a long time such as XPEL, Suntek, etc. will have several ppf lines and it’s prudent to know exactly which film the installer has applied

we only offer three films and they each serve a purpose based on client needs/expectation…Suntek Reaction, XPEL Ultimate Plus, and CarPro Immortal

with a quality film, the adhesive is a huge technology that’s important because that’s what will actually lead to paint peeling up once film needs to be removed

2. Sun/UV exposure - this will usually accelerate the aging process and make the film discolor or top coat fail

ceramic coating the film, having good home care and washing procedure, and garaging whenever possible will prolong the life and durability of the ppf material

once again, getting a quality material will be well-worth the investment

there’s A LOT of ppf material out there and truth be told, only a few manufacturers actually make the raw material and only a small group of film brands actually manufacture the final product in-house with their own r&d

the rest simply private label based on their specifications

3. removal process - assuming both items above are of quality and care, final component of a successful replacement is the technician

most Porsches, if OEM paint/high quality repaint, will have extremely low probability of paint damage during removal process…it all depends on skill of the technician and method used

as a rule of thumb, if you’re concerned about the film being on too long, remove the film from a mirror and see how easy/difficult it was to remove

have the film assessed by a professional installer with extensive experience in installation/removal

hope this helps

here’s a quick video on a removal process:

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-16-2023 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint correct/PPF/ceramic coating - thoughts on cost