Sponsored by:

Give me your 2 cents on this move ... GT3 to F12

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 09:56 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda

Just an update... I know this is a shift and I can only blame you guys for it, but I'm interested in the 720S Spider now and am arranging to look at one and take it for a proper spin.
Why the change? Well I really hadn't considered the McLaren because I figured it would drive me nuts with problems, etc., but I'm hearing that's not so much the case anymore. I also figured just harsh of a ride (which is one reason I'm looking to move the GT3 on... want to do more road trips with the wife and she doesn't like it so much and she doesn't care for the FGT either... we have Panamera 4S we usually take, but I want something with a little more attitude). I'm hearing the "comfort mode" with the adjustable heated seats could be a good option for longer trips in a 720S..
So possibly shifting gears here.... any input much appreciated as I go down this road....
funny because I’ve also been thinking about swapping my GT3 for a 720s spider. The 720 is A-MAZING. Better steering, better seating position, better chassis, better visibility out the front, WAY more power. An incredible machine
Old 11-17-2023, 10:19 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I have been down this road and it didnt work out. If sound is important to you, I wouldnt consider 720S. It sounds very industrial and is probably the polar opposite of F12. If V12 is 10/10, GT3 flat 6 is 9/10, 720S to me is 3/10. I think my cayenne gts is a 6/10. Its purely subjective of course.

And it buzzes and rattles a lot and the 3 test drives I did on 3 different cars all had electrical gremlins.

I have owned all 3 of what you mention (and currently own 2 of the 3). Honestly I would never trade my porsches specifically my GT3 Touring (991.2) - probably would not be without a targa either for a DD. However, as I mentioned the 720s is so different and spectacular in so many ways (not better or worse, just totally different). Of course it is 100% different than the Front Engine Ferraris I have had including the F12 I shared above. Each are great in their own way. I found when I had the F12, the GT3 Touring, my 992 DD, and the McLaren - I just didn't drive the F12 as much. Why have it parked, they are not appreciating assets and I drive my cars. So I sold it due to not as much seat time (and the driving characteristics were as mention above).

The 720S is a generational car. It can be a Grand Touring Car - in Comfort it rides almost impossibly smooth (kind of a defying physics thing almost). In Sport or Track mode and handling it is a pure beast - there is nearly nothing that is as fast in a straight line or around a track (for over double the cost). In that way it is one that you can drive to the track in nice comfort, and track all day and look like a track expert and come home and do it all over again. Not many cars can pull that off (porsche being one that can).

If I could only have one fun special / weekend fun car - it would be the GT3T. But I don't know if I would say that if I hadn't owned the others, and I don't know if/when I will sell my 720s - it is just that good, and haven't found anything I want in a fun car to replace it... Which is half the fun of this crazy hobby. I used to be one of those people that just do one brand (I did for a long while with Ferrari) but always had a porsche DD. Once I moved away from ferrari to Lambo, then McLaren for my fun cars - Glad I did - gave me a nice view (and informed) of what I like, or what gets me excited. Everyone will be different and that is prefect as well.

The great news is there are a lot of interesting options to give a try.
The following 5 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
991C2S88 (11-21-2023), AlexCeres (12-14-2023), Holdens (11-18-2023), rk-d (11-17-2023), rominl (11-19-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 09:42 AM
strettyend
Racer

Woke up early this morning and drove the F12 in anger for the first time in awhile and holy crap. I forgot how amazing that engine is. You should at least give one a go
Old 11-19-2023, 07:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response; your timing is quite coincidental. I had to travel to the Ferrari dealership to look at the car so an appointment was scheduled. Prior to making the trip, I had spoken to the sales manager who made statements such as, "We'll have the car all ready to go for an extended test drive so you can really experience it." The receptionist at the door was cordial and the sales manager, while pleasant, exuded a rather salesy vibe. Despite his posing questions to tailor the experience, it became apparent he wasn't truly listening to my answers and likely had a rehearsed spiel who used on his clients. His agenda seemed to include fostering the perception that acquiring a Ferrari from them was a privilege – not quite my cup of tea. To me, a car is a car; I'm not into the elitist scene and status display, which is one reason I was considering the F12 because it flies under the radar and the average person probably thinks its a Corvette.

They had around a dozen cars, both new and used, but I was there for one specific car. Despite earlier assurances of a thorough test drive, he informed me it wasn't possible due to a priority client coming in to configure a car. Naturally, I was displeased. His attempt to salvage the situation was by making excuses and then a statement along the lines of "This is all you really need to know for now", sitting in the car and then doing a cold start and immediately shutting it off before it quieted down into idle. Unimpressed, I just gave him a look that said "Really???"

I have to say I was soured by the whole way this went down and put off by the Ferrari experience, I left. Coincidentally, there was a McLaren dealership nearby, so I popped in there and my reception was totally different. Down to earth and about the cars and what they can do, not about the status associated with ownership. Sat in and checked out a 720S, and I'm thinking it may be a good option. Did not get to drive it... it had a deposit on it already. Anyways, thoughts and experience with your 720S?
with you on this
I came to spend money
you suck up to me not the other way around
there are a lot of other toys to burn money on....

and with my kids generation.. they really don't give a fk about cars....

if I were in car business..... I be thinking very very hard.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:41 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the maintenance like on the 720's?
Old 11-20-2023, 05:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Venum
What is the maintenance like on the 720's?
$2500-$4500 per year depending on the maintenance schedule/year. Has to be done at a dealer, mclaren is opposite of Porsche on maintenance as far as who does it. Warranty is another $4,000/year. Car has to be stock, I have seen even aftermarket wheels causing a problem with warranty if you have an issue with suspension (which 720S does tend to have problems with). Its a complicated car. Lots of not very durable materials and components used in order to keep weight. Bolts and stuff that rust quickly, turbo inlet flaps made out of plastic that gets ingested, accumulators need to be replaced periodically, etc. It is not like GT3 (or even 812) thats like just get in, drive, etc. Our cars are a bit like dinosaur because of how simple they are.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:56 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

The V12 is magical. If you wan a spider I’d get a 458 spider over a 720s
Old 11-20-2023, 05:57 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the information. I heard that from one other person a couple of years ago when I was looking at a 720 and passed on it due to the maintenance. It sounds like and incredible car just wish it was more bullet proof.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:41 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 504 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
$2500-$4500 per year depending on the maintenance schedule/year. Has to be done at a dealer, mclaren is opposite of Porsche on maintenance as far as who does it. Warranty is another $4,000/year. Car has to be stock, I have seen even aftermarket wheels causing a problem with warranty if you have an issue with suspension (which 720S does tend to have problems with). Its a complicated car. Lots of not very durable materials and components used in order to keep weight. Bolts and stuff that rust quickly, turbo inlet flaps made out of plastic that gets ingested, accumulators need to be replaced periodically, etc. It is not like GT3 (or even 812) thats like just get in, drive, etc. Our cars are a bit like dinosaur because of how simple they are.
Warranty is $7K a year at the dealership.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 11-21-2023, 04:31 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Warranty is $7K a year at the dealership.
If you buy CPO you can get two years of warranty for the price of one though
Old 12-11-2023, 12:39 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to all... just finished doing my due diligence, and think I'm going to stick with Porsche. Now I'm going to start a new thread. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:54 PM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks to all... just finished doing my due diligence, and think I'm going to stick with Porsche. Now I'm going to start a new thread. Thanks again.

In the end , they're just so damn good , and for the most part wear like a gun .

At 9K with the right exhaust, a GT3 or new 3RS sounds imho, almost as visceral as a screaming V12 from Maranello . I have yet to grab a gear at 9K in my GT3 and say " if only I had a v12 Ferrari " .

So great decision !!
Old 12-11-2023, 02:25 PM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Just another data point... I sold my first gt3 touring to get an f12 a few year back. It was a beautiful car. Sounded amazing. Driving it was just ok, with the nervous steering and tons of power on tap I just never got past the feeling it was trying to kill me lol. After a year, i went back and got another touring for almost the same money. I prefer the experience of the gt3 and is much more fun to drive fast/push the car.
The expensive maintenance and need to keep it completely charged to avoid gremlims was a little annoying but its a hell of a machine.
I just enjoy my porsche more
Old 12-11-2023, 03:12 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 922 Posts

What happened?
Old 12-11-2023, 06:46 PM
strettyend
Racer

Just sold my F12 and am awaiting an F8 that should be heading my way any day now.

Had the F12 for 2 glorious years but in the end I could never quite get comfortable with the massive hood and steering feel. I'm sure I will regret some aspects of the ownership experience (sound) but I've never owned a rear mid-engine F-car so I'm excited to give one a go. The engine in the F12 is an absolute masterpiece and its hard to explain unless you have experienced it.

Note that the GT3 is staying in the garage however. Just can't explain how much I love that thing.
The following users liked this post:
fxmixer (12-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Give me your 2 cents on this move ... GT3 to F12