Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911.1 Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 10:18 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

So decided to remove the center clock today and small panel infront of the the dash to check if my dash staples could be pushed back down. No chance, the entire panel underneath got deformed. That being said, the clips on the bottom of the clock are super SHARP. it will scratch your dash leather...

That being said I am about to order a new dash from Germany, 6-8 weeks (Thanks lava orange). Anything else I need to order with it?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyxc
So decided to remove the center clock today and small panel infront of the the dash to check if my dash staples could be pushed back down. No chance, the entire panel underneath got deformed. That being said, the clips on the bottom of the clock are super SHARP. it will scratch your dash leather...

That being said I am about to order a new dash from Germany, 6-8 weeks (Thanks lava orange). Anything else I need to order with it?

Thanks
Could be a good time to go ahead and install the laser cannon… control module could be neatly hidden under that shiny new dash!

Also… I’d really like to see pictures and/or video of this process as I’ll likely be doing the same dash replacement before long.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:07 AM
3RSJ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Front windshield tint will help with sun damage on the leather...
Old 01-14-2024, 05:55 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 3RSJ
Correct. But fair warning from my experience. I had my front windshield tinted (essentially clear) to protect against UV damage inside an SVR Range Rover, and they used so much water or 'slip fluid' (?) to install it, the next day the leather on the dashboard peeled up. Was none too pleased about it. Ultimately covered under warranty but it might be good to be specific with your tint installer on covering the dash w/ plastic. I think the fluid might get everywhere by nature.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:11 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 140 Posts

Or just a windshield shade when you park.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:20 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

My new dash is arriving Wed (Weather pending). I'll post the progress as I go.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:07 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

It is illegal in most states and gives LEO a reason to stop you.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:28 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Well,
New dash came and and I replaced it, thought I'd recap the work, with a couple of tips / pitfalls. Took about 6 hours to remove, 4 hours probably to put back together. All back togehter, minus the parts I am sending off to get stiching put on them.
  • I would rate the job 6 out of 10 difficulty. If you're not handy, this is not the job for you. An oil change is a 1 out of 10. Tranmission rebuild being a 10. It's not a hard job, just requires finese, patience, detailed work.
  • All but 4 of the fasteners are either T25, or E8 external torx, which is really nice. Porsche did a nice job using common fasteners, and not making a mess off it. Pay attention to where they go.
  • 4 bolts that hold the airbag bracket are T30. Only these 4 are different.
  • Go very slow, if you remove the pieces properly (specific angle, pry in the right spot), you can remove all the pieces without damage.
  • Most of the pieces remove in a specific sequence and angle. Most come out fairly easily, the videos I posted for reference do a good job showing the work. The ones they gave me trouble are:
    • A Pillars: Pull the top half in towards the centerline of the car, then pull the bottom piece out of the dask straight back. (NOT shown in any videos)
    • Speaker Grill covers: These were a pain to remove, my clips just did not cooperate.
  • Dash defroster vents don't have to be removed. They can come out with the dash.
  • If you buy a new dash, there are a few pieces you have to transfer off the old dash
    • Little wing clips by that cover the front dash engagement clips
    • Under the PCM there are two little plastic pieces that you need to transfer over.
    • Transfer over the vent ducts out of the car before you put the dash in, much easier.
  • Be very careful with scratch damages. High risk moments:
    • Removing the PCM, cover center console with towels.
    • Edges of the leather dash can scratch against the a pillar bolts, cover them with a towel.
  • You don't have to pull the windshield
  • Pulling out the upper steering wheel cover makes it easier to get the gage cluster out.
  • You don't actually have to remove the glove box completely, you can drop it on car floor, the wires are long enoogh.
  • You don't have to remove the drivers side below the wheel panel. You can let it hang on the wires, I removed mine to make it easier.
  • The electrical connetors are variabled. Most use small tab that locks into the female tab. You have to press in the tab, or what I found easier is insert a small screw driver to push the tab in, inline with the plug.
  • A couple plugs use latches. (PCM, driver lower panel).
Videos I used that were helpful, but did not cover 1. Air Bag Removal, 2 A pillar removal.

General video, it misses quite a few steps:

Last edited by Indyxc; 01-29-2024 at 10:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Indyxc:
Maketrax (02-06-2024), ROFLMAO (04-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 10:33 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Some pics:

The following users liked this post:
TtimeS (07-17-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:49 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Originally Posted by Indyxc
ut to order a new dash from Germany, 6-8 weeks (Thanks lava orange). Anything else I need to order with it?
BTW impressive that your lead time was only 6-8 weeks. I have a new dark brown (Espresso) headliner on order from Porsche and it's 18-26 weeks (apparently they have to make it to order... which I'm guessing is just like these dashboards)

Last edited by Nashvegas; 01-29-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Also, I'd be quite interested in a ton of pics of the removed dashboard at the failure area. I still haven't really wrapped my head around why the staples show (and I've seen this on used cars w leather dashes I've looked at in past couple years).
Old 01-29-2024, 10:03 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
BTW impressive that your lead time was only 6-8 weeks. I have a new dark brown (Espresso) headliner on order from Porsche and it's 18-26 weeks (apparently they have to make it to order... which I'm guessing is just like these dashboards)
It actually turned out to be 3 weeks. I ordered it at the end of December, and I arrived 3rd week of Jan. The dash shows a "datum" aka date of 2018, so it has been in a warehouse in the box since then. Based on the labels they put it on a United airliens flights from Germany and sent to to the USA!

Old 01-29-2024, 10:06 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Also, I'd be quite interested in a ton of pics of the removed dashboard at the failure area. I still haven't really wrapped my head around why the staples show (and I've seen this on used cars w leather dashes I've looked at in past couple years).
It looks like they take a piece of leather, glue it between it, and the foam pad underneath, and then staple the edges to keep them from pulling up.This works fine until...

When the dash gets hot, the leather shrinks, the adhesive softens, and then it pulls the staples in the foam upwards. It's a pretty straightfoward event. I am suprised it's not happening to pretty much any leather dash Porsche, parked in the heat.

After seeing this dash, if I were buying a daily driver Porsche, I'd get a rubber dash. I am also buying a sun shade for the rare moments I park my car outside in the summer.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:09 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Well done. I’m gonna tackle this project eventually. Have you driven much since? Any rattles or squeeks?

Last edited by Maketrax; 02-06-2024 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:16 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maketrax
Well done. I’m gonna tackle this project eventually. Have you driven much since? Any rattles or squeeks?
Yes, I've driven it, no real rattlles, it all assembles pretty well, and honestly I tightened the bolts tighter than they were. I do have one small squeek, but it's one of those things you don't really notice until you pay attention. It was probably there before.
The following users liked this post:
Maketrax (02-06-2024)

Quick Reply: 911.1 Dash Removal