Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.x GT3 RS best mods for track

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023 | 11:14 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by batmanm3
What size pirelli DH slicks in 19 were you using? Did you have to turn off TC/ESC?
Thanks
275/675/19 front, 315/705/19 or 325/705/19 rear. They are Ferrari Challenge tires. No issue with TC/ESC on.

The following users liked this post:
batmanm3 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023 | 07:51 AM
IXXII
Intermediate

I have a 2019 GT3 RS and replaced the stock porsche suspension module with a DSC sport active suspension module that re-maps the factory suspension settings to stiffer (RSR) track focused settings when you choose to use it with the selector switch on the console. I also changed the tires to MPSC 2 R's that have been great! I also have the Dundnon headers and lifetime muffler with the titanium tips that added some power and sound awsome under full throttle. . I placed a BBI roll cage and 6 point harness with a Hans device for safety. and used the BBI sub belt attatchement to the seat that worked well. This set up works well for the track or going on a drive on the B roads in the mountains around where I live. It's not too track focused to be uncomfortable on the street.

The massive improvement in lap times was after I bought a Radical SR3XX! But I know that is not a fair comparison. Much lighter car with slicks and some aero at higher speeds.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old 11-13-2023 | 11:09 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wind911
275/675/19 front, 315/705/19 or 325/705/19 rear. They are Ferrari Challenge tires. No issue with TC/ESC on.
Ferrari Challenge doesn't run the 325 but I wish they did as it would be a better fit on my Apex track wheels.

It's noteworthy that Pirelli charges more for the 315 than the 325.
Old 11-13-2023 | 12:28 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krell
Ferrari Challenge doesn't run the 325 but I wish they did as it would be a better fit on my Apex track wheels.

It's noteworthy that Pirelli charges more for the 315 than the 325.
That is correct about the 325s. The thing about running take-offs is you don’t get four tires from the same set that were run originally. So they are inconsistent in both grip and wear. I have had one tire corded in one day while the other 3 still had plenty.
Old 11-13-2023 | 01:16 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Manthey track alignment with stock components?

shop that won't disclose alignment details? Weird.

Tell GMG you want the goods https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...the-track.html

This beauty was also aligned with our GMG Competition Setup, which includes a 15mm drop in factory suspension, to make sure this RS is perfect! Not only does this RS look amazing, but it’s now ready to set some blistering lap times!
Originally Posted by Nein11RS
These Manthey guys apparently put in their contract that the setup info is not to be shared. That rubs me the wrong way.
Which shop is this? Are they a Manthey Certified Porsche Dealership? Manthey provided a spec sheet with my suspension.
Nein11RS (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023 | 02:21 PM
Nein11RS
Advanced

So my 2016 991.1 with carbon bucket seats and PCCBs has the following mods...

BBS Fi-R wheels with N2 Cup 2 tires
Akrapovic full EVO exhaust
GMG 1/2 roll cage
Swift springs and tarett links with setup by E-Motion Eng
911R diffuser
991.2 underbody strakes

after driving the track I plan the following...
Essex steel rotors conversion kit with the Ferodo DS3.12 pads, stainless lines and the provided AP Racing brake fluid
a more track-focused setup from where I am now....I believe I am close to -2 degrees all around. The car has been lowered slightly by E-Motion but I am not sure how much....
DSC Sport V3 Controller

I don't want to turn my GT3 RS into a race car. I still want to be able to drive it to/from the track but I DO want the front end to have more grip and I want to be able to brake harder (on track)....ATM my AiM data was only showing 1 G of decel and I should be able to get between 1.2 and 1.5.

Since most if not all of you are more experienced than I am in this area I would appreciate your input in my proposed changes as I don't want to waste any money. I want tangible improvements :-)
Old 11-13-2023 | 04:06 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Have I mentioned track optimizing all available stock alignment variables (+ e-motion etc.) with the help of an experienced shop?... Not just camber. There are many more variables to consider.

Rear sway to stiff for more front turn in. Want even more than that, add front sway to soft.

I'd skip the DSC until you know where you are after "phase 1" optimization, 2c.
Nein11RS (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023 | 09:37 PM
OG Shark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by batmanm3
What size pirelli DH slicks in 19 were you using? Did you have to turn off TC/ESC?
Thanks
I run 275/675-19 and 325/705-19 and have not seen any issues with TC/ESC but really have run very little with it on - maybe an outlap or two is all. Typically have it turned off before heading out of the paddock.
Old 11-13-2023 | 10:52 PM
OG Shark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nein11RS
So my 2016 991.1 with carbon bucket seats and PCCBs has the following mods...

BBS Fi-R wheels with N2 Cup 2 tires
Akrapovic full EVO exhaust
GMG 1/2 roll cage
Swift springs and tarett links with setup by E-Motion Eng
911R diffuser
991.2 underbody strakes

after driving the track I plan the following...
Essex steel rotors conversion kit with the Ferodo DS3.12 pads, stainless lines and the provided AP Racing brake fluid
a more track-focused setup from where I am now....I believe I am close to -2 degrees all around. The car has been lowered slightly by E-Motion but I am not sure how much....
DSC Sport V3 Controller

I don't want to turn my GT3 RS into a race car. I still want to be able to drive it to/from the track but I DO want the front end to have more grip and I want to be able to brake harder (on track)....ATM my AiM data was only showing 1 G of decel and I should be able to get between 1.2 and 1.5.

Since most if not all of you are more experienced than I am in this area I would appreciate your input in my proposed changes as I don't want to waste any money. I want tangible improvements :-)
Like ​​​​​@ParadiseGT3 mentioned you can get a lot of that feel just from the proper alignment and good tires. Going from the stock alignment and ride height to a track setup made a huge difference - the push was extremely diminished. Front end still dove under braking more than I prefer and I'm hoping the combination of the DSC and Nitron's allows me to dial that out (Nitron has worked with DSC on their elec-TRON kit so I know they play nice together). But even with that the step up just from the alignment was huge. And you can get the proper alignment with minimal swapping of arms and the swapping of the top hats. I did come back and swap out all the rest of the arms and returned the top mounts to their proper sides as I prefer the setup with these arms (mainly having the caster arm being adjustable now). Also you retain a more proper front track width. The video below is with the track alignment but unfortunately botched the telemetry overlay so just track footage - but can see that the car turns in very well and easy to get back to power. First time at Barber and new to this platform so can see I wasn't at the limits yet but still can see the potential of the car and the improvement in turn in specifically.

The half cage is a solid adder - running a 6pt (with the proper sub strap bracing) makes a huge difference. I have a Competition Motorsports cage and definitely like it. I preferred to shelve the PCCB completely and go straight to a full Essex BBK setup having previously replaced a few PCCB setups for customers as well. Full disclosure I am a dealer for Essex but became one only after beating the crap out of their kits across multiple platforms with excellent results. I run the 3.12 full time on this car and use Castrol SRF (my preference for dual usage street/track cars). Don't be afraid to ask whoever does the alignment for the new specs including ride height - that should be your information no matter who does the setup. Alignment is one of the easiest things to change on a car and if you do not know where it currently is at you really have little to go off to start dialing it in to your liking. Also have them include the sway bar settings as well. Springs - if you are going stiffer then expect a firmer ride on the street. Might consider trying the alignment first and see where that gets you before adjusting springs rates. I also like waiting on the DSC controller but wouldn't also wouldn't try to talk you out of it now either. The aero bits likely are not going to add much without also addressing the front more than just the strakes but also shouldn't be a detriment. Exhaust and wheels as desired but do like dropping down to 19s for track work even if still planning on running Cup 2s. Really wish some of the cheater 200TWs came in GT3 friendly sizes as the Cup 2s do leave something to be desired. Have seen where some will street Goodyear Supercar 3R's and those can play nice with 19s and much better than the Cup2's. Not the biggest fan of streeting the 3R's but there are people that drive them back & forth to the track.

The following 2 users liked this post by OG Shark:
Nein11RS (11-14-2023), ParadiseGT3 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023 | 12:48 AM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OG Shark
If you get into replacing the suspension there will be another option soon. Have a test kit on the way from Nitron - their elec-TRON version of their R3 kit on the way that we will test extensively until we have it dialed in exactly like we want it. They already have a traditional 3way kit available but the addition of the electronic component ought to step it up a notch but we will see how that goes once we have it. Very excited to get my hands on these and will do a lot of before/after comparisons with them. Also just added a Verus Engineering full aero kit and looking forward to running it out at COTA next week. When we have the suspension nothing else will change though until we finish getting it dialed in.
Looking at the website, it looks like these would be controlled by the OEM PASM controller (or presumably DSCsport controller, if you have one), but have separate high and low speed compression damping controls, do I have this right?

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2023 | 11:32 AM
OG Shark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul in San Jose
Looking at the website, it looks like these would be controlled by the OEM PASM controller (or presumably DSCsport controller, if you have one), but have separate high and low speed compression damping controls, do I have this right?

Thanks,
Correct - controlled by PASM combined with high and low speed comp dials. In this case they are located on the remote reservoirs so no need to remove the wheels to make any adjustments. And yes they will work with the DSC controller as well so they can be fine tuned even that much more.
Old 11-14-2023 | 05:59 PM
Nein11RS
Advanced

@OG Shark LOVE Barber, ridden and raced (bikes) there many times over the years....thanks for the tips and info.
OG Shark (11-14-2023)
Old 11-27-2023 | 04:19 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

I've chosen to keep the car looking as stock as possible:

Performance modifications I'm doing this week:
  • Manthey Racing Coilover kit (991.1 3RS suspension, not 991.2 3RS which has more adjustments and way more expensive)
  • Stock wheels with Cup2 and Cup2R tires
  • Manthey Aerokit
  • Track Alignment (per Manthey recommendations)
  • Manthey Brakes
    • Manthey Pagid brake pads
    • Manthey brake lines
    • Endless RF650 brake fluid
This is basically the full MR kit for 991.1 RS but without magnesium wheels and aerodiscs. I understand that a kit similar to the one for 991.2 RS is possible for the 991.1 version but not part of the regular catalog.

Will depend on the car feeling with these mods if I'll continue to change suspension components to eliminate the rubber or if I'll do it next year, just to enjoy the process. My biggest complaint with this point so far is under braking.

Last edited by juanpablo046; 11-27-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Nein11RS (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024 | 10:31 AM
e92insg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
I've chosen to keep the car looking as stock as possible:

Performance modifications I'm doing this week:
  • Manthey Racing Coilover kit (991.1 3RS suspension, not 991.2 3RS which has more adjustments and way more expensive)
  • Stock wheels with Cup2 and Cup2R tires
  • Manthey Aerokit
  • Track Alignment (per Manthey recommendations)
  • Manthey Brakes
    • Manthey Pagid brake pads
    • Manthey brake lines
    • Endless RF650 brake fluid
This is basically the full MR kit for 991.1 RS but without magnesium wheels and aerodiscs. I understand that a kit similar to the one for 991.2 RS is possible for the 991.1 version but not part of the regular catalog.

Will depend on the car feeling with these mods if I'll continue to change suspension components to eliminate the rubber or if I'll do it next year, just to enjoy the process. My biggest complaint with this point so far is under braking.

have u installed the MR suspension for your .1 RS? I’m looking for some installed pics to see how you mounted your reservoirs. There doesn’t seem to be any installed pics online thanks!
Old 02-21-2024 | 08:17 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Talking

More track events-time will improve your lap times far better than any added on part.

Last edited by parkerfe; 02-21-2024 at 08:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by parkerfe:
Flo89 (02-23-2024), jetprop (03-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.x GT3 RS best mods for track