Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's tinted/ppf'd their front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 05:56 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhol58
Thinking of getting my windshield tinted but thinking of its side effects if any
so i drove the car after waiting a week in this heatwave we are having to fully cure and i noticed at night i had distortion on my front windshield right in my line of sight but chalked it up to maybe my eyes were tired

drove it the next day during the day and same thing i see pockets of distortion on my front windshield now which is super annoying its the last thing i want to see and what i was afraid of since i've never tinted my front windshield for this exact reason i'm going to park it in the sun all day today and see what happens but if it doesn't go away 100% i'm taking it back on tuesday to the shop to likely remove it or replace it
Old 07-30-2023, 06:14 PM
inspire
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

If you see pockets, it might be some air bubbles, but if leaving it in the hot sun all day doesn't fix it, then it probably won't be 100% distortion free usually. Everyone is different though, but tint usually will add a small amount of distortion / ghosting from what I've seen.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:27 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
so i drove the car after waiting a week in this heatwave we are having to fully cure and i noticed at night i had distortion on my front windshield right in my line of sight but chalked it up to maybe my eyes were tired

drove it the next day during the day and same thing i see pockets of distortion on my front windshield now which is super annoying its the last thing i want to see and what i was afraid of since i've never tinted my front windshield for this exact reason i'm going to park it in the sun all day today and see what happens but if it doesn't go away 100% i'm taking it back on tuesday to the shop to likely remove it or replace it
usually takes 30 days to fully cure in the sun
Old 08-01-2023, 12:38 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
usually takes 30 days to fully cure in the sun
i parked it outside in the blazing sun all last weekend i think the film is cured by now its been 15 days already. what i'm seeing is distortion in the film i think maybe a bad batch of film or installer error
Old 08-01-2023, 01:21 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

that's unfortunate. never know if there was a stretch or applicator in the film application and worst because it's in you LOS.
I had 70% on the windshield and it helps a lot with heat buildup when parked in the sun.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

i parked it outside in the blazing sun all last weekend i think the film is cured by now its been 15 days already. what i'm seeing is distortion in the film i think maybe a bad batch of film or installer error
without seeing it in person, or maybe post some photos if you can capture the areas bothering you, it’s hard to diagnose if it’s material, installation, or needs further curing

what does your installer say about the areas?
Old 08-02-2023, 08:33 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
without seeing it in person, or maybe post some photos if you can capture the areas bothering you, it’s hard to diagnose if it’s material, installation, or needs further curing

what does your installer say about the areas?
i'm seeing gradients and waves in the film on the driver's side which is distorting my line of sight

passenger side is crystal clear
Old 08-03-2023, 08:55 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

got the windshield re-done today it was bad film the new film looks almost perfect with no distortion or gradients
Old 08-04-2023, 08:30 AM
Cohen88
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have windscreen ppf installed on my car, it is most certainly worth it as it will allow me to retain the original factory fitted windscreen which can increase value come resale time and also eliminates the risks associated with a windscreen replacement in the future.

Of course it cannot protect against big objects from smashing the windscreen but it is very effective against rock chip damage.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:03 PM
apa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

405 motoring did the tinting and my mobile ppf guy did the ppf

https://405motoring.com/window-tint/
who is the ppf installer?

Quick Reply: Who's tinted/ppf'd their front windshield?