Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many if you regret buying a winged GT3 and wish you had purchased a touring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 10:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
What? This came up when I googled it:

GT3-R is the GT3 series race car. $567k

Old 07-15-2023, 02:23 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

Sorry I guess I yanked on a few too many chains on this thread. Wing vs no wing discussions always seem to get lively. I do know Touring owners will be laughing all the way to the bank when it comes time to sell.
The following users liked this post:
Bruce911_ (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 05:38 AM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 525 Likes on 260 Posts

I find it humorous reading the debate between winged versus no winged. It’s all good reading. One is not better than the other. It all comes down to preference. There was a time when I was an RS person and now I’m in the Touring camp. It’s nice to have choices.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:16 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

This is a humorous debate in this age of ADM and Porsche hyper scarcity luxury marketing (hey I just invented a new term LOL!). In the innocent days of 991.2 ordering you could actually choose a touring OR a winged GT3 without needing to get on your knees and do unnatural acts to your dealer to get another allocation and possibly go to the end of line.

In those 'innocent' days I remember discussing with my Exclusive rep in Atlanta about going with a Touring or Winged GT3: Would it change my delivery day? Maybe. Would I loose the chance to complete my PTS order? No. Could I order the same Exclusive options? No, Interior options were limited. In the end I decided that the Touring just didn't look the part for me, to me a GT3 has a wing. But to this day I sometimes think how easy it would have been to make my order a more 'collectible' car. Oh well I'm happy with my choice and I would choose the same even now knowing the financial impact.

It is ironic as well that the current 992 GT3 can easily be converted to a wingless Touring look alike where the old 991 cannot. Yet the Touring is an even harder allocation to get! Being able to convert a winged GT3 to a wingless Touring easily was one reason I wanted a 992. But then all my dealers wanted me to perform unnatural acts and I just couldn't do it.... My 991.2 GT3 will have to do for a while longer- I love it still!
The following 3 users liked this post by montoya:
itrsteve (07-02-2024), Larry Cable (07-16-2023), Porsche911GTS'16 (07-16-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:30 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Racecar = wing
GT3 = racecar
Therefore GT3 must have wing!

A lot of people love the wing and it's not just GT3 owners.

Agree. I’m a wing guy. Had a 911 turbo and replaced its hydraulic small wing with a Misha carbon GT2 style custom wing. Sold that to buy a GT3 991.2 witu the wing. To me the big fixed wing separates the gt3 from the myriad of largely similar looking 911’s that Porsche seems to add a new variant to every year. Is it flashy, over the top, vision blocking and largely useless unless you’re at the track? Damn right! That’s part of the fun!!
Old 07-15-2023, 10:45 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Add another “just buy the version you like more” vote to the pile.

There is no fundamental reason to pick one over the other except personal preference. You are unlikely to own the car long enough for any difference in future value to be meaningful. It’s literally the same car either way.

People lose sight of where they are in the “want a gt3” spectrum. There are people who just want a GT3. Any GT3 just for what it is. They are putting work in to make the financial side work. Then there’s the meat of GT3 owners (most of us) who go on about spec and argue endlessly about little details that won’t matter to anyone else. And then there’s the ultra wealthy who are just throwing money at the problem and actually also don’t care that much about spec because they’re busy arguing ultra-yacht specs.

Perspective is helpful here. Just get the one that speaks to you.
The following 3 users liked this post by ninefiveone:
itrsteve (07-02-2024), Larry Cable (07-16-2023), Riptide (12-23-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 09:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
This is a humorous debate in this age of ADM and Porsche hyper scarcity luxury marketing (hey I just invented a new term LOL!). In the innocent days of 991.2 ordering you could actually choose a touring OR a winged GT3 without needing to get on your knees and do unnatural acts to your dealer to get another allocation and possibly go to the end of line.

In those 'innocent' days I remember discussing with my Exclusive rep in Atlanta about going with a Touring or Winged GT3: Would it change my delivery day? Maybe. Would I loose the chance to complete my PTS order? No. Could I order the same Exclusive options? No, Interior options were limited. In the end I decided that the Touring just didn't look the part for me, to me a GT3 has a wing. But to this day I sometimes think how easy it would have been to make my order a more 'collectible' car. Oh well I'm happy with my choice and I would choose the same even now knowing the financial impact.

It is ironic as well that the current 992 GT3 can easily be converted to a wingless Touring look alike where the old 991 cannot. Yet the Touring is an even harder allocation to get! Being able to convert a winged GT3 to a wingless Touring easily was one reason I wanted a 992. But then all my dealers wanted me to perform unnatural acts and I just couldn't do it.... My 991.2 GT3 will have to do for a while longer- I love it still!
I think you and I are the only ones who wont ... there are a lot of 992 GT3s around the bay area ... I wonder if the demand will tail off towards the .2 release?
Old 07-16-2023, 09:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris88
There is a Touring GT3 RS, it's called a 911R.
actually it called the 911 ST apparently! another car I wont get or cant afford.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

don't worry
prime is now 8.25
maybe we have 20% prime by YE
let it ride.
Ohio Performance (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 09:40 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 101 Posts

It's neat to discover a 911 is a touring when you get near, but the wing gives that little bit extra all the time.
Larry Cable (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:08 PM
lsanc007
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a while in my 992 GT3 search I seeked the touring only, given the higher perceived value of it being more exclusive and understated. However, every time I closed my eyes and thought of a GT3, a wing would come to mind. For those reasons, I chose the wing options and I am not sorry I did. A classic GT3 has a wing, period. However, you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by lsanc007; 07-01-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Larry Cable (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konaforever
Zero. Except that touring sells at a premium to winged.
which is just nuts IMO
Anu2g (07-01-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 01:12 PM
jaredq22
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a Touring. I spent a lot more. I love the wingless, and I love not sticking out... well, actually, I don't. When I drive around South Florida, nobody looks twice at my touring. It's and IYKYK car. Sometimes I want people to look, just not in the office parking garage.

My other rides, GT4, 718 Spyder, GT500 all got more looks.

If I could do it again, maybe I would find a wing car with PERFECT options and save money over a stripper touring. But no regrets. +/-6k miles in 3.5 months.
Old 07-02-2024, 01:16 PM
Gus22
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 87 Posts

Personally I prefer a gt3 with a wing. I do like the painted lower front on the touring though. I actually think the wing delete kit on the 992 wing cars looks better than the touring for those who want the touring look.
Old 07-02-2024, 01:33 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Pick the version that makes your heart beat a little faster when you see it.

From a pricing standpoint the wings are at a low, and I’m of the opinion the price gap with Tourings is at a max. The gap will come down over time as the Tourings are only wing delete and lack other unique characteristics that support the kind of price gap we are seeing today. They will command a small premium due to numbers but not as big as today.
Larry Cable (07-03-2024)

Quick Reply: How many if you regret buying a winged GT3 and wish you had purchased a touring?