Sponsored by:

when to replace factory suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 10:58 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts
Default when to replace factory suspension

Was wondering, what is the normal life expectancy of the factory shocks on these cars. I have 25k on mine, bought new winter of 17 and wondering when or if there is a normal timeline to toss the suspension and replace them, upgrade.etc Thanks
The following users liked this post:
mrhamamg (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 12:28 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Time to replace now. They are done and get a set of MCS from Dundon. Well worth the upgrade in ride quality and shock manufacturing quality. Plus it supports two American companies who make and sell products in the USA.

My stock suspension on my 991.2 GT3 RS was leaking on the front the two struts with 1000 miles on them from the dealer. No track miles and only street miles too. I replaced them with the MCS from Dundon in 2019 and I have not looked back since. Best decision I have done to the car.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:50 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Time to replace now. They are done and get a set of MCS from Dundon. Well worth the upgrade in ride quality and shock manufacturing quality. Plus it supports two American companies who make and sell products in the USA.

My stock suspension on my 991.2 GT3 RS was leaking on the front the two struts with 1000 miles on them from the dealer. No track miles and only street miles too. I replaced them with the MCS from Dundon in 2019 and I have not looked back since. Best decision I have done to the car.
Which mcs did you get? 2,3 or 4 way adjustable?
Old 06-30-2023, 03:19 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TPG
Which mcs did you get? 2,3 or 4 way adjustable?
I have the 3-way shocks on mine. I almost got the 4-ways for extra tuning but for a street GT3RS with occasional track usage I felt that would be a little overkill.
Larry Cable (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 06:22 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I have the 3-way shocks on mine. I almost got the 4-ways for extra tuning but for a street GT3RS with occasional track usage I felt that would be a little overkill.
Who did you have install? Corner balance? I am will prob reach out to dundon and see who they have on the east coast to install and corner balance. I have replaced shocks on my 997.1 s, but this is the first time i started to wonder when these would be needs to replace. I am not concerned about the money, but do not want something overkill, as I have had no time to track this car, but every mile is in the smokey as I live outside of charlotte and usually spend 3, to 4 days a month running the roads. No leaks, no issues, just thinking about when and putting a plan together. thanks
Old 06-30-2023, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
Who did you have install? Corner balance? I am will prob reach out to dundon and see who they have on the east coast to install and corner balance. I have replaced shocks on my 997.1 s, but this is the first time i started to wonder when these would be needs to replace. I am not concerned about the money, but do not want something overkill, as I have had no time to track this car, but every mile is in the smokey as I live outside of charlotte and usually spend 3, to 4 days a month running the roads. No leaks, no issues, just thinking about when and putting a plan together. thanks
you should/will need a full alignment; ride height, rake, corner balance, ...
Old 07-01-2023, 12:51 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

Was wondering, what is the normal life expectancy of the factory shocks on these cars. I have 25k on mine, bought new winter of 17 and wondering when or if there is a normal timeline to toss the suspension and replace them, upgrade.etc Thanks
Experiences and opinions will vary, but I'm not aware of any accepted timeline to toss and replace. Have not experienced any perceptible performance degradation or mechanical warning signs on base .2 w/ 16k mls or .2 RS w/ 14k mls, many of those miles accumulated bouncing around Sebring.

Nearly all 991.1's I encounter are still on original suspension.

Not to say you can't improve upon the stock dampers, I'm sure you can.
Larry Cable (07-03-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 02:57 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

I bought my GT3 with 39,000 miles on it. I drove it on a mix of track and street for about a year then did a full suspension rebuild at 45,000 miles. The original shocks\struts looked worn but not leaking at that mileage. I changed them because the car was going to be (and still is) mainly a track car. We did a bunch of changes and upgrades at that time so I cant say I noticed the difference but I will say that until I took off the old shocks they performed fine and like I said before, visually they looked good too. You could have them inspected by a good indy shop and get their opinion as well. Based on how long mine lasted you may be good for a while.
Old 07-02-2023, 02:20 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

My RF strut went.. replaced with OEM… then LF went. Swapped to Dundon/MCS after that as with the track time my car sees it was just going to keep going through the OEM dampers. Run the MCS wide open on the street and even with the stiffest springs Dundon specs the ride is composed and comfortable. And now if one gets blown I can send off to MCS for a rebuild … or if time/usage warrants I can get them rebuilt. Everyone’s use case and experience will differ but if you do decide to swap I can recommend MCS. Manthey KWs are double the cost and I can’t see them being double the performance. I’d argue the guy twisting the ***** will make a bigger difference. Just like the driver makes more of a difference than the car on the track.
Larry Cable (11-26-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 01:33 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
My RF strut went.. replaced with OEM… then LF went. Swapped to Dundon/MCS after that as with the track time my car sees it was just going to keep going through the OEM dampers. Run the MCS wide open on the street and even with the stiffest springs Dundon specs the ride is composed and comfortable. And now if one gets blown I can send off to MCS for a rebuild … or if time/usage warrants I can get them rebuilt. Everyone’s use case and experience will differ but if you do decide to swap I can recommend MCS. Manthey KWs are double the cost and I can’t see them being double the performance. I’d argue the guy twisting the ***** will make a bigger difference. Just like the driver makes more of a difference than the car on the track.
Not sure where you got your pricing on the MR KWs, they're about the same price as MCS.
The following 2 users liked this post by DiscoWagon:
Brian Himmelman (09-10-2023), Larry Cable (07-03-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 04:42 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
Not sure where you got your pricing on the MR KWs, they're about the same price as MCS.
I’m all ears about knowing where to get Manthey KWs for around $9k. Not changing my dampers but I was quoted around $16k for KW. I do need some Manthey pads for when I reinstall my ceramics so a hook up would be great.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:48 AM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
I’m all ears about knowing where to get Manthey KWs for around $9k. Not changing my dampers but I was quoted around $16k for KW. I do need some Manthey pads for when I reinstall my ceramics so a hook up would be great.
Reach out to @derrick_glorypursuit on Instagram. He's been my source for everything Manthey, let him know I sent you.
The following 3 users liked this post by DiscoWagon:
Larry Cable (11-09-2023), mrhamamg (11-26-2023), SterlingatBOM (07-05-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have over 45k miles on my 991.1, and over 50 track days. I have not detected any degradation of the stock suspension, and my lap times have not suffered. I’ve considered upgrading to something better than stock, but in the search for performance, not because the stock are bad. Per Porsche recommendations you’ll likely need to replace hubs sooner than shocks with lots of track use.
Larry Cable (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

If you wanted to refresh the factory suspension on a 991.2 GT3 could you rebuild the oem coilovers?
Old 11-26-2023, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
If you wanted to refresh the factory suspension on a 991.2 GT3 could you rebuild the oem coilovers?
I have never heard of anyone doing so ...

Quick Reply: when to replace factory suspension