Sponsored by:

Speedster Driving Impressions - Manual Transmission Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 01:40 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 484 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
But that's not what I was saying. I am very well aware of what they are. I actually have a TTS right now that I really dislike and am selling to get a GT3. I totally dislike the gobs of torque down low cars. I think what I am trying to say isn't coming across correctly.

There is more engine torque/pick up speed/throttle responsiveness at lower RPMs in the RS than there is in GT3. This is most likely due to taller gearing of the GT3 but also larger diameter tires in the GT3RS and shorter PDK-S ratios creating a multiplicative effect of more torque in lower RPMs. This isnt in my brain, i.e. I am just making it up. It's basic physics. If you drive these cars back to back as I have a number of times, it’s hard not to notice this difference. If you only drive a GT3, that'll become your baseline and you'll get used to it. It is what it is, nothing we can do about it. I am just sharing my experiences in driving these cars back to back. Doesn't make the GT3 a bad car. I am most likely going to buy one regardless to go along with my RS.
I’m not sure as to gearing between the cars but I never found it to be a problem or noticeable in the Touring. I have read many reviews of the GT4 where there is apparently an issue. When I sold my last RS I drove the Touring within a few days and I was more than happy with my choice. I know it might not be the same for everyone but I don’t care it’s what I like and the same is true for you and everyone else that chooses different cars. Good luck with your journey!
Old 04-08-2023, 02:39 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Yeah an RS is an RS. You will have to be ok with that.

I think the Numeric shifter would resolve whatever qualms you have about shifter feel. Insert “rifle-bolt” cliche here, but it’s really true. I’ve had guys who know GT3 manuals pretty well who felt the difference just rowing it in the parking lot. The whole thing is machined aluminum and brass. Very direct and solid.

Re: steering feel, I can see your point though I am satisfied with the stock set up. My 993 has better steering, but it’s hydraulic and effectively has an 993RS suspension. Not sure if a more aggressive alignment and possibly lowering the GT3 a little on the coilovers would make it feel a bit more direct. I can say that upgrading to BBS wheels, which are lighter than OEM, did make a positive difference there.
That 993 you have is absolutely amazing and must be a blast to drive
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 06:04 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 715 Posts

Sometimes I wish there was a thumbs down button
The following 2 users liked this post by Jbravo23:
GT325 (04-10-2023), Larry Cable (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 12:49 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 145 Posts

I currently own a Speedster, I don’t experience any of the negatives the OP did. As a point of reference I have owned 991.2 GT3 manual, 991.2 RS, 997.2 GT3, 997.2 GTS, 991.1 C4S, and 718 Spyder PDK.

Both 997s needed the Numeric cables to get them just right IMO.

My Speedster has zero creaks or rattles, it’s a lovely experience but def less hardcore than the GT3 or RS. The manuals in the 991.2 GT range all feel similar to me. Very good units, don’t have much to complain about, the 997 GT3 tranny with just the numeric cables was a bit better weighted and has more feel.

The Speedster is a very expensive car and unless it meets your expectations I would def pass on it. It’s too much money to have doubts.

Last edited by STALKER99; 04-09-2023 at 12:52 PM.
ljvarellas (04-11-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 12:57 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STALKER99
I currently own a Speedster, I don’t experience any of the negatives the OP did. As a point of reference I have owned 991.2 GT3 manual, 991.2 RS, 997.2 GT3, 997.2 GTS, 991.1 C4S, and 718 Spyder PDK.

Both 997s needed the Numeric cables to get them just right IMO.

My Speedster has zero creaks or rattles, it’s a lovely experience but def less hardcore than the GT3 or RS. The manuals in the 991.2 GT range all feel similar to me. Very good units, don’t have much to complain about, the 997 GT3 tranny with just the numeric cables was a bit better weighted and has more feel.

The Speedster is a very expensive car and unless it meets your expectations I would def pass on it. It’s too much money to have doubts.
The squeaks and rattles in this car was actually pretty bad. I didn't go into too much detail in the OP but here it goes. Car had around 1,000 miles. In addition to the roof structure, both door panels as well as the seat backs were rattling. Speedster has this plastic pieces in the LWBs that sit next to the leather seat center. Those plastic pieces were somehow rattling like crazy. The center dash was rattling. The transmission tunnel cover was rattling/buzzing. I have a full dundon system in my 991.2 GT3RS and I dont have this many rattles and noises (in fact, I have none). So maybe this 1 particular car was an outlier. But I agree with you, this is still (even with steep dealer discounts) a very expensive purchase. Oh well, the hunt continues!
Old 04-09-2023, 02:16 PM
markmich
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too presently own a 991.2 Speedster along with a 992 GT3 Touring and a few other Porsches. I have owned almost all of the GT3 iterations. I absolutely love my Speedster and have not experienced any of the issues complained about by OP either. No rattles whatsoever. I've taken my car on long distance road trips including the Tail Of The Dragon and had an absolutely fantastic experience.

I know personally other owners of Speedsters who likewise love their cars and have none of the complaint's mentioned by OP either.

I do feel that the Speedster is a little less hardcore than some of the other GT3 variants from a suspension standpoint, but really ideal for any driving short of track use. Of all my cars it is the one that I grab the keys to almost all the time especially if the weather is conducive to putting the top down which elevates the regular GT3 driving experience to a different level.

Old 04-09-2023, 04:02 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I share the same as many, post several GT3’s, and both 991 RS’s. The Speedster is the only Porsche I’ve owned the longest. Zero rattles, and yes clutch is lighter than the 997. Speeder was designed to be a fun cruiser, and with a killer engine that carries over to the 992. Good luck with your choice, by the way I’ve only had the top of twice in 3 years.
ljvarellas (04-11-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 05:12 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
The squeaks and rattles in this car was actually pretty bad. I didn't go into too much detail in the OP but here it goes. Car had around 1,000 miles. In addition to the roof structure, both door panels as well as the seat backs were rattling. Speedster has this plastic pieces in the LWBs that sit next to the leather seat center. Those plastic pieces were somehow rattling like crazy. The center dash was rattling. The transmission tunnel cover was rattling/buzzing. I have a full dundon system in my 991.2 GT3RS and I dont have this many rattles and noises (in fact, I have none). So maybe this 1 particular car was an outlier. But I agree with you, this is still (even with steep dealer discounts) a very expensive purchase. Oh well, the hunt continues!
I can totally see that happening as there are more plastic bits in the Speedster behind the seats and the cut outs in the LWBs.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Sounds like you drove a jacked up GT3. None of those things re: feel of the GT3 manual have been remotely my experience. Not even close. I installed a Numeric shifter which tightened up the throws and mechanical feel, but the OEM is still an exceptional feeling MT (and I’ve owned several).

Not sure what to say about focusing on the performance of a GT3 at 3k RPM. That’s not really relevant for a lot of people who like these cars, but of course you’re entitled to your prerogatives.

It’s also difficult to compare a MT car to PDK in terms of power delivery.

With all due respect, it doesn’t sound like the GT3 is for you. I’d cut my losses and find something else. The Sport Classic would probably have been the perfect car for you.
No I haven’t. I don’t doubt it has a different feel from the GT3 that you prefer. But of course, you don’t have a manual option there, so it is what it is.

Just sounds like you’re not particularly enamored with the GT3, which is fine.

Like I said - I’m not disputing your thoughts on the GT3 powerband, but I don’t think your experience with the MT shifter feel is indicative of how GT3 normally feels.
Again….not sure why you’re even bothering looking at the GT3. You clearly don’t like it. Doesn’t hurt my feelings, but it just seems pretty obvious.

For frame of reference I’ve had a SSK and RS shifter in my 993 and I owned an S2000 so I know what a good shifter feels like. The GT3 is an excellent MT, full stop.

You disagree, that’s fine. But your experience is an outlier.
@rk-d I agree 100% ... OP @3pedals not really sure what the point or goal of your post is, I think the consensus is that your experience/complaints are not typical of GT3 ownership... sounds like any GT3 is not the car for you.

bottom line I dont think you are going to find many here that will validate your point of view.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:25 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Just wondering if your comparison of the drivetrain between the 991 Speedster and 991 GT3RS is slightly biased. I'm assuming your test driving a completely stock Speedster but your comparing it to a modified RS with a full Dundon Exhaust. I've got to think that the sound from your 991.2 RS with a full Dundon exhaust will be much louder than the stock Speedster. Also the performance should be much improved with the Dundon System if I am to believe the dyno numbers. So I don't doubt you have a preference to your RS which is probably as familar to you as the back of your hand. What would be interesting is to see how the speedster would subjectively perform with a full Dundon exhaust. I know it would change the character of the car, but I'm not sure I want dump another 16-18K right now. Good luck with your search!
rk-d (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:53 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,240 Likes on 2,730 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
Just wondering if your comparison of the drivetrain between the 991 Speedster and 991 GT3RS is slightly biased. I'm assuming your test driving a completely stock Speedster but your comparing it to a modified RS with a full Dundon Exhaust. I've got to think that the sound from your 991.2 RS with a full Dundon exhaust will be much louder than the stock Speedster. Also the performance should be much improved with the Dundon System if I am to believe the dyno numbers. So I don't doubt you have a preference to your RS which is probably as familar to you as the back of your hand. What would be interesting is to see how the speedster would subjectively perform with a full Dundon exhaust. I know it would change the character of the car, but I'm not sure I want dump another 16-18K right now. Good luck with your search!
Good point. Full Dundon will sound and feel noticeably different from OEM GT3 or Speedster. It’s on my short list, in fact.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

This is correct about the Dundon setup. Its pretty loud. However, I am not comparing Speedster to my GT3RS with the full Dundon exhaust in terms of the sound. I am comparing it to a stock GT3. I have driven a 991.2 GT3 Manual several times and I know how that car sounds and speedster sounds nothing close to it. That 8000-9000 rpm metallic buzzing sound that GT3 makes isn't present (but I think 992 GT3 doesnt have this sound either. So I think its an OPF/ITB thing).

As for the throttle responsiveness, I actually don't know if my car is as razor sharp even at 2500 rpm (i.e. 40% sudden throttle response at that rpm results in very quick pick up vs in speedster/gt3 there is a good second that goes by before car picks up) is due to the Dundon setup or PDK or GT3RS tuning from factory or a little bit of all of them. The only way to confirm this is to get a stock GT3RS and try the same. But I never feel lack of low end torque driving my GT3RS even below 3000 rpm. I feel the manual GT3 needs to be at or above 4000 rpm to feel the same. Personally I think this is gear ratios plus the RS tune is the reason.

EDIT: I think my messages may be coming across as a dislike to manual GT3. It is not. I am still hunting for a manual GT3 (hence a WTB thread I made). These differences I highlight simply mean I find there are visible differences between GT3 6MT and GT3RS and that a GT3 isn't simply GT3RS with a smaller wing. They drive vastly different. The steering in the GT3 is much more relaxed. Suspension is a lot more compliant. There isnt as much tire and road roar/noise. I dont say these things to mean as negatives. I actually think these make a good case as to why people can own both and not be bored.

That being said, Speedster (the reason for the OP) isn't a convertible GT3. It drives and sounds like a completely different car. It's not a bad car by no means but it doesn't have enough of the GT3 character for my taste.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 04-10-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Patrick3000 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 03:07 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Like STALKER99 here, I too own a Speedster and I too haven't experienced any of the negatives noted in the OP. In fact, my experience has been the exact opposite on quite literally every point noted:

1. I have zero squeaks/rattles, whether the top is up or down. (I can't say the same for my 987 Boxster Spyder.) The top here is fantastic, period. There are no rattles in the doors, or anywhere else. It is bank vault tight.

2. The sound is certainly more muted than say with an RS, no doubt, especially at lower RPMs. I also own a 991.1 GT3RS, which as reported by Car and Driver, was one of the loudest cars they have ever tested (108 decibels). But, I don't think the Speedster is "quiet," and I actually enjoy a more muted car (as compared to an RS) at lower RPMs, especially on the street. I think it is fitting for the whole Speedster idea -- a car that is more road, as opposed to track, focused. The Speedster screams above 5k, and my Speedster got noticeably louder once broken in (i.e., once I crossed 2k miles or so). But, others here disagree with my assessment re sound, and have gone the Dundon or GMG after market exhaust route.

3. The 6 speed is simply brilliant, period, IMHO. Throws are short and precise, and while the cutch is somewhat light, I think it is perfect. (I really did not like the heavy, heavy clutch in the two 997.1 GT3RSs that I previously owned.) There is absolutely zero play with the shifter, and shifts are super, super smooth. It is pure joy.

4. The Speedster feels sharper (on account of the ITBs) and dare I say faster than my GT3RS, even at lower RPMs. Both cars do need to be in at least the 3k-4k range, though, to have some punch/kick. Low-end torque isn't there, as say with a turbo. But, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here . . . . PDK vs manual can be debated endlessly, and there is no doubt that gear changes with PDK are "quicker." But, I don't notice any difference between my Speedster and GT3RS when "stabbing" the throttle, and in fact, my Speedster seems to have more bite than the GT3RS. I just love the driver involvement of the manual for a car like the Speedster, which again is road focused. On the track, I will take PDK all day long; but, for a car like the Speedster I prefer the (brilliant) 6 speed. I don't find the gearing long (which I can't say for the GT4 I previously owned!).

5. I think the Speedster is much, much more fun to drive on the street than the GT3RS. The GT3RS really shines, and is super exciting to drive, on the track. Some of the very best drives I have ever had, in any car, have been in my Speedster. It is quite clearly a Motorsport product. No doubt about it. But, like the Touring and the R, it is (again) more road focused.

As noted above, I am guessing the Speedster test driven here was an outlier.

That being said, different horses for courses . . . and the Speedster may not be for everyone.

Last edited by zellamsee; 04-10-2023 at 06:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by zellamsee:
AmneZia (04-10-2023), KoNy (04-12-2023), ljvarellas (04-11-2023), Targa Tim (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 05:59 PM
AmneZia
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Owned a speedster and a 991 touring for 3 years, i ended by selling the second one after more than 15000km in each one.
I'm not a track guy, and for mountain roads there is no susbtitute for the speedster.
ljvarellas (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:37 PM
ljvarellas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your experience is not at all consistent with mine. Bought my first Porsche in the late 80s. 1968 912. I feel the same thrill today in this car as I did in that. It makes you appreciate the brand and the mindset.
It is not a winged racer car. Never meant to be that,

It will likely hold or grow in value, as it is a numbered car and has the parts of some of the best sports cars that Porsche has made. Engine from a 992.1, chassis of a GT3, front hood and fenders from a RS, largest composite piece ever made by Porsche for the Rear Cover. Lighter exhaust than the GT. Last of the 5 Dial gauge set up that is mostly analog. The only thing drawback is the blind spot. Worth the effort of stretching your neck. I sold my 2018 GT2 Touring with 22,000 miles to move to this car. Like the Touring, Love this car. Better engine, same chassis, open car and unique.

Bottom line. It is a Gentlemen's car that can be at Cars and Coffee, or pulling up to a nice restaurant, Quiet in its presence and VERY unique. The ICE cars will likely be produced at a much lesser pace in the future and this is the pure experience that thrilled me the first time I drove my 1968 912.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.

Not third world problems here.

Last edited by ljvarellas; 04-11-2023 at 12:26 PM. Reason: regret replying
The following 2 users liked this post by ljvarellas:
KoNy (04-12-2023), Maverick787 (04-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Speedster Driving Impressions - Manual Transmission Feedback