Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedster Driving Impressions - Manual Transmission Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 01:26 AM
elgato13
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

So you’ve got a GT350, a GT3RS and a TTS but then you’re complaining about the build quality of a Speedster, low end torque and the manual trans of a 991.2 GT3?

You appear to have enough experience with Porsche to know their build quality and when you might have stepped into a bad example. Your observations about the manual’s quality/precision or the speedster don’t add up to the consensus from a group of folks that are usually over critical.

Then you post a thread searching for a manual GT3 yesterday? Either you’re full of it or you’re off your meds.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:59 PM
9forty4
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I have to chime in and disagree with the OP about the GT3 manual. It is fantastic, period. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. The auto blip annoys the **** out of the cyclists on my frequent lakeside drives. Which makes it even better of course.

Also, comparing the low rpm power and torque from the 4.0 with the Vette and Mustang engines is truly an apples/oranges situation. Displacement always wins that battle. Aside from launching the car, when are you driving it below 4k rpm during spirited driving anyways?
Old 04-11-2023, 04:32 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by 9forty4
I have to chime in and disagree with the OP about the GT3 manual. It is fantastic, period. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. The auto blip annoys the **** out of the cyclists on my frequent lakeside drives. Which makes it even better of course.

Also, comparing the low rpm power and torque from the 4.0 with the Vette and Mustang engines is truly an apples/oranges situation. Displacement always wins that battle. Aside from launching the car, when are you driving it below 4k rpm during spirited driving anyways?
Not once I have compared the torque of the 4.0 to mustangs and vettes. I understand its internet and forum and you may lose track of who is saying what. I was strictly comparing GT3RS to GT3 manual.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:09 PM
9forty4
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Not once I have compared the torque of the 4.0 to mustangs and vettes. I understand its internet and forum and you may lose track of who is saying what. I was strictly comparing GT3RS to GT3 manual.
Ummm okay OP - Direct quote from you-

The new Z06 or the GT350 are also high revving N/As but their max torque is 2000 rpm lower. GT3 is particularly weak on this regard”
Old 04-11-2023, 07:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 921 Posts

You need to read/quote that entire paragraph as the main point I was trying to make is I feel the gear ratios of the car over a PDK gives it a disadvantage. I was simply saying that this 4.0 liter already has its peak torque all the way up top (vs other N/As) and the longer gear ratios make it a little worse.

Anyways, I clearly hit a few nerves here. I can see how one would like the speedster. Its not for me. Reading the reviews or watching catchpole talk about it, one would assume its a convertible GT3. Its not. You may love the car and yours may not rattle like the one mine did, thats fine. I still stand by my statements around the engine noise (particularly when the roof is closed), steering sharpness, and suspension. Its a car thats much closer to a targa or a carrera other than the fact that engine revs to 9000.

GT3 is an experience from the moment you turn the key. Even the way it idles is different.

When I get the manual GT3, the first thing I will do is putting the same full dundon system on it. If that improves the 3000 rpm throttle feel, I’ll come back to this thread and report my findings. Not every car is right for every one of us. The reason I made the thread was because what I read/watched about the car didnt align with reality. It wasnt to bash speedster. I wasnt expecting it to drive/sound/feel that way. I was genuinely disappointed, so much so that I came out of the test drive saying “darn it, that was unexpected”. I went there ready to sign and drive home with the speedster, so I was pretty serious. And lets ignore the rattles, maybe my car wasn’t well taken care of who knows. Either case it wasnt the right car for me. GT3 it is.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 04-11-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:28 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You need to read/quote that entire paragraph as the main point I was trying to make is I feel the gear ratios of the car over a PDK gives it a disadvantage. I was simply saying that this 4.0 liter already has its peak torque all the way up top (vs other N/As) and the longer gear ratios make it a little worse.

Anyways, I clearly hit a few nerves here. I can see how one would like the speedster. Its not for me. Reading the reviews or watching catchpole talk about it, one would assume its a convertible GT3. Its not. You may love the car and yours may not rattle like the one mine did, thats fine. I still stand by my statements around the engine noise (particularly when the roof is closed), steering sharpness, and suspension. Its a car thats much closer to a targa or a carrera other than the fact that engine revs to 9000.

GT3 is an experience from the moment you turn the key. Even the way it idles is different.

When I get the manual GT3, the first thing I will do is putting the same full dundon system on it. If that improves the 3000 rpm throttle feel, I’ll come back to this thread and report my findings. Not every car is right for every one of us. The reason I made the thread was because what I read/watched about the car didnt align with reality. It wasnt to bash speedster. I wasnt expecting it to drive/sound/feel that way. I was genuinely disappointed, so much so that I came out of the test drive saying “darn it, that was unexpected”. I went there ready to sign and drive home with the speedster, so I was pretty serious. And lets ignore the rattles, maybe my car wasn’t well taken care of who knows. Either case it wasnt the right car for me. GT3 it is.
Personally, I don’t see your post as bashing. I’ve owned the 991 GT3, 991.1 RS, and the 99.2 RS, and the Speedster unfortunately like the 992 has the particulate filer so you will hear the same. I know some that changed the exhaust on the speedster it’s a beast. Not me personally it’s not what I want to hear in a cruiser, and it was never meant to be a GT3 thus it’s called a Speedster with a GT3 engine minus all the harshness. “It’s not a track car” I’ve owned the car for 3 years top up twice, honestly they could’ve not made it with a top I would have purchased. The original design didn’t have a top. Good luck on choice, and if a 992 you will see some of the same minus changing the exhaust. We live in a bad world of emissions, and ICE’s are in danger buckle up.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:50 AM
markiegt3
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

One thing I have noticed re my manual gt3 is the gearchange is quite notchy when cold. When the gearbox has fully warmed up, and this takes a while, the gearchange is simply fantastic. Maybe the Speedster needed a longer drive?

I am also fitting the Dundon street headers, but never felt the car lacked torque. Thought it would on paper due to the torque curve and high revving nature of the engine, but was really impressed how well it pulled low down.

Can wait to hear the engine scream with the Dundon package installed!
Old 04-12-2023, 06:38 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,477 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by markiegt3
One thing I have noticed re my manual gt3 is the gearchange is quite notchy when cold. When the gearbox has fully warmed up, and this takes a while, the gearchange is simply fantastic. Maybe the Speedster needed a longer drive?

I am also fitting the Dundon street headers, but never felt the car lacked torque. Thought it would on paper due to the torque curve and high revving nature of the engine, but was really impressed how well it pulled low down.

Can wait to hear the engine scream with the Dundon package installed!
Same. That characteristic is accentuated with the Numeric.

I’m ok with it. It forces me to drive conservatively until the car is warmed up. You can literally feel when the car is getting up to temperature, which is cool. Makes the thing feel more alive and unfiltered.

Quick Reply: Speedster Driving Impressions - Manual Transmission Feedback