Sponsored by:

Buying a very low mile 6 year old car with overdue maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 06:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
he said it was very low mileage car. If the car is only getting 500 miles a year, you absolutely don’t need to change the oil every year.
Not about to touch this turkey - everyone has an opinion. Suffice it to say, I subscribe to the yearly oil change philosophy (or thereabouts).

More to the point, the complete lack of routine maintenance or driving of the car speaks volumes to me.

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Car has a little over 100 miles. First oil change was done in 2 years. Second and last oil change was done 3 years after (1 year ago from now). Which means the first tank of gas that the selling dealer put in the car may actually be still in the car after 6 years. I'm not sure what's worse, keeping gas in the car for 6 years OR idling it extensively to the point it burns the gas and you put new gas (but you are idling a brand new non broken in car with oil thats 2 and 3 years old respectively).

Maybe not the right car for a "non-flipper" person. I have no idea why people do this.

Also you guys do understand that if I ask "was the car driven around" "where was it kept" "was fuel stabilizer used" etc, I cant really ever be 100% sure the answers are factually accurate.
If the gas has been in there for 6 years, it's turned to varnish. The entire fuel system could be suspect.

I may sound like an alarmist, but I've been through this. When I bought my 993, it had 30k miles, but had not been driven for several years before I bought it. I had to change out the fuel lines which developed a leak and do a complete engine out refresh. Now that's a much older car at the time I bought it, but I'm a firm believer that these cars need to be driven to run their best. There may be issues that will not be uncovered on a PPI - you will have to shake down the car over some miles before those problems begin to manifest, if they ever do.

I don't think any of this is a deal breaker if you are just in love with the car, but you should go into it with your eyes open.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:32 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

Did you typo or is 100 miles correct? I have always been a bit of a gambler, 100 or 1,000 I would lean to taking the risk. A CPO is pretty hard to be declined once attached to a 911. Build the CPO into your plans and go forward if the price and build are right.
It is beyond me that someone can put a GT3 in the garage & not turn the key. Absolutely dumbfounding!
The following users liked this post:
bogey1 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 06:34 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,700 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by rwbern
Did you typo or is 100 miles correct? I have always been a bit of a gambler, 100 or 1,000 I would lean to taking the risk. A CPO is pretty hard to be declined once attached to a 911. Build the CPO into your plans and go forward if the price and build are right.
It is beyond me that someone can put a GT3 in the garage & not turn the key. Absolutely dumbfounding!
Not a typo, its 100 plus. But the above poster has a point about fuel lines and what not. No way to know how/where the car was maintained.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:44 PM
thunderdent
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd worry about the gas more if it truly was 6 years old sitting in the tank.

An oil change 2 years after new, then one 3 years after that wouldn't bother me a bit. Brake fluid is likely just fine, and I doubt there's one single place of corrosion on the car internal or external.

If they said the gas was old, I'd have them siphon it, replace with a full tank of new premium, add fuel stabilizer to that tank, then run the car down to about 1/2 tank, then fill it back up to full again with new 93.

You're super overthinking this, but you're concerned about the warranty first and foremost. I don't care about those things on my cars. I bought a 16 3RS. It doesn't have a warranty. If something breaks, I'll fix it/pay to have it fixed.

I also am not going to pay 15k to preventively change belts and air filters that don't need changed just because it's on a service interval.

I have a R8 and a 3RS. Both are climate control garage kept. Both get about 500mi a year. Both are out of warranty. Even my Audi dealer doesn't follow the full schedule guidelines. They'll do a "light service" to change the oil, check the brakes, etc when they do an inspection for my annual sticker. Oil change is fine every 2 years IMO on cars that get driven this amount of miles.

Yes, do preventive maintenance. But you don't need to overdo a bunch of stuff just for the sake of doing it. I'll likely take the 3RS to an Indy shop every 2 years.

Last edited by thunderdent; 03-12-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:51 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 165 Posts

Lack of maintenance = buy at a big discount, and definitely not a premium.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:55 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I am not overthinking it. I wont buy this car without CPO. So there is that aspect of the cost of bringing it “up to code” so Porsche warranties it. With expired tires, its $10k. My RS is 4 years old 12,000 miles and no I am not changing the belt.

There is also the amount of premium - with the cost of service, its around $60k over msrp for me where in 6 months the car is worth $30-40k less if I put 2,000 miles on it. It will have a very steep depreciation up front.

Then there is the fact that car wasnt driven for too long. Lets also add the coolant. 6 year old never used coolant is no good for water pump no?

I’m not a flipper. If I could find a car with low miles in decent condition, I wouldnt be here right now. I much rather have a car that is driven here and there than a car that has 150 miles and had to be transported across 4 states in its life time with 2 oil changes lol.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:56 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WP0
Lack of maintenance = buy at a big discount, and definitely not a premium.
Unfortunately the premium is pretty steep.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:09 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 289 Posts

How do you plan to use the car? I would definitely do the tires and the drive belt if driving it on track. The belt materials degrade over time with exposure to the atmosphere. Shredding the belt at redline makes a mess. I agree with the recommendation on draining the fuel.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:13 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
How do you plan to use the car? I would definitely do the tires and the drive belt if driving it on track. The belt materials degrade over time with exposure to the atmosphere. Shredding the belt at redline makes a mess. I agree with the recommendation on draining the fuel.
Just a weekend car, maybe couple of track days at best.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:40 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

I am not overthinking it. I wont buy this car without CPO. So there is that aspect of the cost of bringing it “up to code” so Porsche warranties it. With expired tires, its $10k. My RS is 4 years old 12,000 miles and no I am not changing the belt.

There is also the amount of premium - with the cost of service, its around $60k over msrp for me where in 6 months the car is worth $30-40k less if I put 2,000 miles on it. It will have a very steep depreciation up front.

Then there is the fact that car wasnt driven for too long. Lets also add the coolant. 6 year old never used coolant is no good for water pump no?

I’m not a flipper. If I could find a car with low miles in decent condition, I wouldnt be here right now. I much rather have a car that is driven here and there than a car that has 150 miles and had to be transported across 4 states in its life time with 2 oil changes lol.
Pretty clear that there is no way you are buying this car so what the point of this thread? Not advice…
Old 03-12-2023, 07:49 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Pretty clear that there is no way you are buying this car so what the point of this thread? Not advice…
The thread already provided to be a good source of information as I hadn't even considered fuel tank, fuel lines, coolant, water pump. And I may still buy the car ultimately but now I am thinking with the current pricing, it's probably not going to work.

You don't have to post here, you can just choose to ignore it. Others that helped, I am really appreciative of the info they provided.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:50 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 134 Posts

Actually, that is not correct. You need to change the oil no later than 1 year because of condensation. Also oil does break down with time. This car had no oil change for almost 4 years and the oil is probably in an extremely bad state. I dont actually know if Porsche would even warranty this car. Even if the dealer does the CPO and the engine blows 6 months later, I'm afraid they'll turn around and say the maintenance on the car was way late and no CPO coverage for you.
To CPO a car it needs to be up to date on all its maintenance and that maintenance needs to be done by Porsche. So I don’t think they will CPO it. But I have also seen many cars CPOed that never should have been. Many dealers will play tricks. Once they CPO it they can’t deny you do to lack of maintenance because the dealer already certified that the maintenance was done correctly.

If you are getting a good deal I would not be overly concerned with the lack of maintenance. Other than the fact it would probably cost the 10k to get it up to date. Maybe use that in negotiations. If you are buying from a reputable dealer they should be getting all the maintenance done before they sell anyway.

These cars are not as fragile as a lot of people seem to think they are.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:32 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Car is probably fine but I’ll buy a high mileage well maintained car over one that sat. My biggest issues have always been with cars that sat vs cars that have been driven. They’re made to driven. But I think 6 years is young enough to not be an issue.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:01 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

The thread already provided to be a good source of information as I hadn't even considered fuel tank, fuel lines, coolant, water pump. And I may still buy the car ultimately but now I am thinking with the current pricing, it's probably not going to work.

You don't have to post here, you can just choose to ignore it. Others that helped, I am really appreciative of the info they provided.
Sure, some good discussion. But the simple fact that the oil was only changed twice in six years and you feels as though it must be changed yearly tells me the car isn’t for you. It’s really not about the actual mechanical condition. Seems as though the lack of maintenance would bug you (as it would most of us here) as long as you owned the car. But I certainly could be wrong.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:35 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Who buys a car of this caliber and does no maintenance in six years, regardless of whether it’s driven? I assume the body and interior are essentially new? There must be a story here. Money can fix just about anything on a car, the question is how much. There will be recommissioning issues to address and how serious or not may cost money even to make a preliminary assessment. Your motivation to open your wallet will be a major determinant to pursue this car.

Last edited by djcxxx; 03-13-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying a very low mile 6 year old car with overdue maintenance