Sponsored by:

PDK Sport not holding shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 08:06 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 134 Posts
Default PDK Sport not holding shifts

I am trying to determine if my car is behaving normally while in PDK sport. 991.2 GT3, while in PDK sport the shifts don't hold anywhere close to redline as others have described. It probably shifts closer to 4500 if my foot is not in the floor. Also downshifts around 2500. It seems to shift where I would expect it while on track. At highway speeds it will shift all the way up to 7th gear when I'm just cruising. My other 911 only had sport mode so Im not sure what is normal, but I have driven a Caymen GTS in sport plus and it held shifts almost to redline. I have also driven in a 991.1 and that also held shifts and would hold 4th gear while cruising on the highway. I purchased the car with 9K miles and have put on about 6K. I do a DE about once per month and also some autoX. While driving on the roads I do not constantly hammer it. On the street if I drive spiritedly usually shift manually so I can hold the RPM a little higher. Im pretty sure the previous owner tracked the car due to the alignment. Im curious if the car has a PDK tune or the shifts are due to the shift learning.

Does anyone know if there is a way to see if it has a PDK tune? I was told by a Porsche driving instructor at PECATL to reset the PDK and then drive in manual and hold the shifts. I was also told by my local indi to do a PDK recalibration to see if that helps. Any ideas as to if it is behaving normally or how to get it back to normal? other than the shift points I see no issues with shift speed or performance on track.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:59 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 289 Posts

In non GT3 PDK models with Sport Chrono, the Sport Plus mode will hold gear to redline even with part throttle. The GT3 PDK-S in Sport mode will upshift before redline with part throttle. It will hold the gear to a somewhat higher rpm than when in normal mode. Driving casually in normal mode it will upshift to seventh quickly for fuel economy and emissions. Your description sounds normal to me for a GT3.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:09 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Sounds normal.

In standard mode, easy driving, my car shifts around 2k-2.5K rpm. In sport mode, still easy driving, it shifts around 2.5-3k. Sometimes even lower if just coasting. On track, pedal to the metal, yeah, shifts at 8.7-9K.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:17 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that was the case. It threw me when I road in the .1 GT3 and it would not shift out of 4th on the highway.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:24 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
In non GT3 PDK models with Sport Chrono, the Sport Plus mode will hold gear to redline even with part throttle.
Porsche removed this feature with the AMC0 emissions recall. If you like this feature, don’t have it done.

Quick Reply: PDK Sport not holding shifts