Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 - Help deciding on buy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 07:16 PM
Valxes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 - Help deciding on buy!

Hello everyone. First post on Rennlist after lurking around for a couple of years, just taking in all the information everyone has shared over the years. I realise I haven't introduced myself yet (didn't find any indication on whether to create a thread specific for that or not), so here's a small bio first. Name's Pedro, live in Portugal and having been quite lucky for a few years (and saving diligently after once trying out a manual 991.2 GT3), I'm ready to take the plunged and get one myself.

Here's where I need your help! I found an almost perfect spec, for me at least (2018 991.2 GT3, lava orange, sportsbuckets - carbon seats don't fit me well for some reason - 90Lt tank, lift, manual transmission and a few more goodies). The car is at a Porsche dealer in Germany and has 2 years left on a 3 year warranty extension. Price is OK (163k€, negotiated down from 165). 33,000KM on the clock, which is a lot for some people but I don't care as I plan on it being a long term (or even forever) car.

Being a manual car, I asked for an overrev report and it does NOT have range 4-6 overrevs. It has ~300 overrevs on ranges 1-2, which is acceptable, and 68 ignitions on range 3. My first question is should I be worried of any future warranty claims on this given the overrevs occured after the warranty was extended? My local Porsche dealer said it shouldn't be an issue, but ultimately Porsche decides on it. Bonus points for being sold with a warranty and by a Porsche dealer but... I do wonder.

Second issue - and most worrying to me - is the car has only 241h of operating time, which means an average speed of 137kmh (85mph) over the course of its life. As far as I know, these cars should average about 50-60kmh (35-40mph), considering city traffic and b-roads. It might be a track car (which I kind of doubt given the very clean undercarriage, absence of any scuff marks, sport chrono pack or roll cage, most importantly), or it might have done a lot of highway miles. What are your thoughts on this car? Would you steer clear or request some additional information (I doubt they have a report showing how long it lived at each rev range, though I asked). Any particular checks you would request or being sold by a Porsche dealer and having another 2 years warranty, you wouldn't mind purchasing it?

Thank you in advance for your feedback! Hoping to join the family soon and uploading a couple pictures/videos!

Old 02-23-2023, 07:44 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 101 Posts

My understanding is that Porsche will not do an extended warrantee on stage 3-4 over revs without compression tests and/or oil tests. Might want to verify that is has been done and if not done, probably a good idea to have it done.

With regards to operating time and mileage, your math is correct in that the 'average' speed would indeed be 137 km/hr. That car has been driven fast for long periods of time. I suppose if it is on highways for long distances, probably not an issue. Another reason to do compression tests/oil analysis if not done.

Would the ECU be changed if the engine was replaced? If so, then the odometer would not change but operating time could be less with a new engine?
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 600 Posts

The car sounds like the same spec as a Lava that a friend of a friend from Latvia was selling in Germany. Does it have PCCB? Lots of these cars about of course. Any pics?

The over revs are not a reliability concern but they are a "will Porsche warranty it in case something goes wrong in the future" concern. I would insist that the PC agrees on paper with attached print-outs of the mileage, operating time and over revs that these are taken into account when guaranteeing the validity of the warranty.

They should be able to check the history if any major parts like engine or ECU were ever replaced that could explain the average speed. Even with almost total track use (unlikely at 33K) I don't see that average speed as plausible. You'd have to trailer the car to the track and spend the bare minimum of time idling in the pit lane. But it doesn't make a lot of sense from the point of view that they're trying to hide something either because 240+ hours means whatever happened is at least half the car's mileage ago and it's not like they are trying to sell it now with zero over revs.
Larry Cable (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 06:15 AM
Valxes
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
The car sounds like the same spec as a Lava that a friend of a friend from Latvia was selling in Germany. Does it have PCCB? Lots of these cars about of course. Any pics?

The over revs are not a reliability concern but they are a "will Porsche warranty it in case something goes wrong in the future" concern. I would insist that the PC agrees on paper with attached print-outs of the mileage, operating time and over revs that these are taken into account when guaranteeing the validity of the warranty.

They should be able to check the history if any major parts like engine or ECU were ever replaced that could explain the average speed. Even with almost total track use (unlikely at 33K) I don't see that average speed as plausible. You'd have to trailer the car to the track and spend the bare minimum of time idling in the pit lane. But it doesn't make a lot of sense from the point of view that they're trying to hide something either because 240+ hours means whatever happened is at least half the car's mileage ago and it's not like they are trying to sell it now with zero over revs.
No PCCB. I'll attach some pictures below.

No ECU replacement and no odd situations on the cars history (checked with my local dealer). Just some errors due to battery (presumably due to low battery as the only thing they did was charge it). I can't really think this would be a case of altered mileage as the car would have lower miles and higher operating hours, not the inverse. If it was constantly used for high speed highway miles, not too sure that'll be too great for the engine either. Very much on the fence, here...

Old 02-24-2023, 09:02 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Good chance the DME has been tampered with. Not sure you could possibly average 85mph over 241 hrs of operating time even if you tried.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:49 PM
JGC
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Good chance the DME has been tampered with. Not sure you could possibly average 85mph over 241 hrs of operating time even if you tried.
Unless owner had a LONG commute on the autobahn everyday and drove at some spectacular speeds!
Larry Cable (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:04 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Valxes
Second issue - and most worrying to me - is the car has only 241h of operating time, which means an average speed of 137kmh (85mph) over the course of its life. As far as I know, these cars should average about 50-60kmh (35-40mph), considering city traffic and b-roads.
Every single overrev report I’ve seen had an unrealistically low run time. I asked the head mechanic of a Porsche dealership and got told that was normal. He said DME run time is not accurate. There’s another, accurate, run time in another module (I forget). If they altered the DME report, why not remove that range 3 overrev?

edit: seeing the car is at a Porsche dealer, can they comment?

HTH

Last edited by dbv1; 02-24-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:08 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC
Unless owner had a LONG commute on the autobahn everyday and drove at some spectacular speeds!
Not likely and even then, likely impossible. The autobahn isn't what it was 25yrs ago. Traffic and restrictions everywhere, you have to get to it, and get from it to where you're going. Not buying it. I bet someone tampered with the DME.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Help deciding on buy!