Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALL the faults after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 05:29 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

WTF is the "registering the battery to the car" thing the dealer does anyway? I've seen it noted on the service sheet in the past and it always seemed, well weird...
Old 02-25-2023, 05:48 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the benefit of Lithium battery? Why not just go with a replacement AGM, same capacity, register and be done with it.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:00 PM
thunderdent
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEOFEW
What is the benefit of Lithium battery? Why not just go with a replacement AGM, same capacity, register and be done with it.
Much lighter weight is the biggest benefit.

Secondary with the AG batteries is the fact the smart battery won't fully drain, and will keep a power reserve to "jump start" your car.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (02-26-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 07:28 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderdent
Much lighter weight is the biggest benefit.

Secondary with the AG batteries is the fact the smart battery won't fully drain, and will keep a power reserve to "jump start" your car.
I see, makes the difference if you track the car. On the last major I was told OEM battery in my 18 GT3 was down to 60% capacity, so sooner than later I'll have to replace mine also.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:39 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Iridium
WTF is the "registering the battery to the car" thing the dealer does anyway? I've seen it noted on the service sheet in the past and it always seemed, well weird...

My understanding is that it's a process that confirms voltage with all the systems of a car so that they operate properly and don't throw faults.

Had to do it back when I had my 2009 E90 M3, my 2014 E63S AMG and will probably have to do it soon with my 981 GT4 .
Old 02-26-2023, 12:49 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Iridium
What the Registering of the Battery does is this....

It supposedly Monitors the age of the Battery, then changes the Charging Profile to the Battery to get the longest life and best charging while it ages. Also when you register you put in the Amp Hours and other data it askes for so that the system will charge it more accurately.

The facts are, there is some truth to the car perhaps benefitting from a different charging profile on a very old battery, but the reality is that batteries were lasting arguably longer 10-15 years ago when they simply made the Lead/Acid battery better. The other actual truth is that the Manufacturer is attempting to force you to buy their specific Battery from thier group of Dealers.... because when you "Register" the battery you have to put in a Code that is a label on the Battery itself, which for the unknowing would mean you have to get the Porsche/Banner Battery or Volkwagen Battery that Porsche wants you to put in the Car since only those have this Code# on it. But there are work arounds for this, But also it is utter boloney being that you can just use another AGM Battery from ANY other Brand in your Porsche as long as it a similar Amp Hour and size. Also it many cases the Porsche Battery is just a re-labled Battery of another Brand made by the same Manufacturer so it no different. So that is the Porsche Tax conspiracty angle, which isn't really a conspiracty since it fully true.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:56 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ONEOFEW
I see, makes the difference if you track the car. On the last major I was told OEM battery in my 18 GT3 was down to 60% capacity, so sooner than later I'll have to replace mine also.
Well the light weight in cool, but that is not the only benefit and we actually feel the other benefits are much better than the light wieght. For example Lithium has a much longer life than Lead/Acid Batteries. For example 2x to 3x the life span and that is because lithium is rated at 3000 cycles, where at Lead is rated at about 1000 cycles. A cycle is a full discharge and full recharge. But also Lithium has a built in Battery Management System which is a circuit Board that will prevent the battery from damages that a Lead/Acid would suffer under the same scenario. For example a single Deep Discharge of a Lead/Acid battery from leaving the lights on or storing it to long will result in damage to the Lead/Acid Battery and a lowering of is Power and CApacity.... this is the main reason you hear about batteries not lasting long... But our Antigravity Lithium Battery won't allow that damage to occur since it prevents itself from Over-discharging, Over-charging, short circuiting and things like this.

Last you have the built-in WIRELESS Jump Starting. So you won't ever come back to a dead battery and be stuck..... and you won't have to open the Frunk, or see or touch the battery you simply press the provided Keyfob start the car and drive away. You can do it from inside the CAr if it raining so that is a pretty cool feature to. So light weight is thing for the Performance people, but for general drivers the other benefits like long life and saving you from the hassle of a dead batttery and being locked out of the Frunk are cool too.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:56 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Also when you register you put in the Amp Hours and other data it askes for so that the system will charge it more accurately.
Since I accidentally experimented with the Ah value in PIWIS at some point, it seems the main thing it does is give the car an idea about how long it can use a certain amount of power before it needs to shut down. When you put in a pretty low value what happens is that every single morning you need to pull the door handle before it responds to the key fob because it went into power saving sleep mode. It will also give you a "low voltage, shutting down" on the dash after only a few minutes with the radio or ignition on even when you have 13.5V on the battery. The car ignores the real voltage it reads and shuts down because it's concerned about the mighty low capacity battery it thinks you put in. (This was 982 GT4 so fairly modern)

Last edited by JCviggen; 02-26-2023 at 12:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
Antigravity (02-26-2023), Larry Cable (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 03:04 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Since I accidentally experimented with the Ah value in PIWIS at some point, it seems the main thing it does is give the car an idea about how long it can use a certain amount of power before it needs to shut down. When you put in a pretty low value what happens is that every single morning you need to pull the door handle before it responds to the key fob because it went into power saving sleep mode. It will also give you a "low voltage, shutting down" on the dash after only a few minutes with the radio or ignition on even when you have 13.5V on the battery. The car ignores the real voltage it reads and shuts down because it's concerned about the mighty low capacity battery it thinks you put in. (This was 982 GT4 so fairly modern)
I love learning those extra bits of info from real testing.

When I got my GT3RS I told my dealer part of my deal was that I wanted to be introduced to the Mechanics because I was developing a battery to use in Porsches, and I became friends with the Lead Mechanic who I still keep in contact with. But I was really disappointed to learn that they are not given specifics about the car such as charging profiles, how the rear steering works or the Loads it creates during activation.... so, in my ignorance I thought they had a computer system that told them all that stuff about how the car really works. But I was showed the Computer they log into and he told me they are taught how to work on and FIX the Cars but NOT how the systems actually work, or how it operates. Then he explained that in reality they don't need to know it... they are just given what to fix and how that process goes. Also a lot of the mechanics were just not really Porsche guys, and didn't care about how they car worked. They were just doing the same job as any other mechanic to fix the Car. So in the illusion I had created before knowing the facts I thought Porsche had Porsche guys and really knew their stuff. It's quite the opposite so that sort of burst my bubble a little. no one knows much at Porsche, and the Service Manager's are just sales people who really don't know much.

Last edited by Antigravity; 02-28-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:59 AM
cbcznc
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I love learning those extra bits of info from real testing.

When I got my GT3RS I told my dealer part of my deal was that I wanted to be introduced to the Mechanics because I was developing a battery to use in Porsches, and I became friends with the Lead Mechanic who I still keep in contact with. But I was really disappointed to learn that they are not given specifics about the car such as charging profiles, how the rear steering works or the Loads it creates during activation.... so, in my ignorance I thought they had a computer system that told them all that stuff about how the car really works. But I was showed the Computer they log into and he told me they are taught how to work on and FIX the Cars but NOT how the systems actually work, or how it operates. Then he explained that in reality they don't need to know it... they are just given what to fix and how that process goes. Also a lot of the mechanics were just not really Porsche guys, and didn't care about how they car worked. They were just doing the same job as any other mechanic to fix the Car. So in the illusion I had created before knowing the facts I thought Porsche had Porsche guys and really knew their stuff. It's quite the opposite so that sort of burst my bubble a little. no one knows much at Porsche, and the Service Manager's are just sales people who really don't know much.
I can second that opinion after spending nearly a whole day with the service manager and 2 of the mechanics at the Porsche service center next to the N.A. headquarters building in ATL. Very nice guys, but only there to do their job and not as knowledgeable about how the systems work as I think they should be. I find that there is more knowledge about how the systems work in the aftermarket folks.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (12-07-2023)

Quick Reply: ALL the faults after battery replacement