Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you sell a .1 RS these days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 11:40 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 153 Posts
Default How would you sell a .1 RS these days?

I've decided to sell my .1 GT Silver RS. I'm getting back into racing and can't own this amazing car and a full time race car. What's the best way to sell right now? Post here on RL or try BAT?
Dealers will obviously low ball me and i don't have anything incoming to wait to trade on. No issues car and all the right options.

Market seems like $180-190 right now retail with some dealers asking for $200k plus which seems like a 2021/22 price.
The following users liked this post:
achenator (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:01 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you considered consigning with one of the pre owned specialty dealers?
Old 02-14-2023, 12:05 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

No but that's a good idea. Would it need to be local to me or should i find someone with a large web presence?
Old 02-14-2023, 01:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

BAT, PCARMarket and RL!

consigners take a cut from your bottom line, BAT and PCar take it from the buyer
catdog2 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 06:26 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
BAT, PCARMarket and RL!

consigners take a cut from your bottom line, BAT and PCar take it from the buyer
some people like the layer if insulation, not having to deal with tire kickers etc
Old 02-14-2023, 06:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by achenator
some people like the layer if insulation, not having to deal with tire kickers etc
true - personally I'd take the hit for the %-age... and on BaT or PCarMkt there is precious little opportunity to kick anything - YMMV
Old 02-14-2023, 07:28 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

I reached out to BAT and PCar, i've sold and bought on both but not sure i have time for the auction this time around. Driving it to some local dealers Friday for their bid. We'll see.
People keep saying the market is dropping but remember, the new RS will never be under $300k, even years from now, these are relative bargains.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:35 PM
mnawa
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
I reached out to BAT and PCar, i've sold and bought on both but not sure i have time for the auction this time around. Driving it to some local dealers Friday for their bid. We'll see.
People keep saying the market is dropping but remember, the new RS will never be under $300k, even years from now, these are relative bargains.
sent you a pm.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

As I'm talking to dealers, Porsche ones at least, they all tell me there are no buckets available for anything but a GT3RS. I've been thinking of just downsizing to a GT4 since the price difference would pay for my race car and spares.
Seems like there will be a real squeeze on new cars with the "right" options so i don't see the value plummeting the way people seem to think. It's been eye-opening talking to people this week and learning more about the demand for these cars. Its by far the best driving car i've owned so selling will be tough emotionally but racing is expensive.....
Old 02-15-2023, 08:36 PM
sbonomo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

As I'm talking to dealers, Porsche ones at least, they all tell me there are no buckets available for anything but a GT3RS. I've been thinking of just downsizing to a GT4 since the price difference would pay for my race car and spares.
Seems like there will be a real squeeze on new cars with the "right" options so i don't see the value plummeting the way people seem to think. It's been eye-opening talking to people this week and learning more about the demand for these cars. Its by far the best driving car i've owned so selling will be tough emotionally but racing is expensive.....
I hear you on the cost to race these things. I have an e46 pretty well race prepped which i can put many laps on for next to nothing. My GT3 is faster, looks better and is just down right cooler however they are soooooo expensive to track. God forbid something happens out there. I am seriously considering selling my GT3, buying a Carrera S or GTS and putting the rest of the money back into the e46.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:25 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

I have built 2 E46s and love them. Had a m3 NASA gts car for a few years then built a Spec e46 that I campaigned for two years with NASA and then did WRL with it. I’m going to race a Spec Boxster now and will need 2-3 spares transmissions plus all the rest. Racing ain’t cheap but I love the competition.

it’s nice to have a trackable street car too and I think a gt4 or maybe Carrera T will work. My only must have are buckets.
sbonomo (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Autotrader. Every car I've tried to sell on different platforms has always sold to a buyer who found me on Autotrader.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:28 PM
superfast02911
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

Been there, done that on a "downsize" to a GT4. Immediately regretted it, and ended up buying another Miami Blue RS. Just a perspective from someone who's been there.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:51 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Yeah you may be right, it's not something i'm excited about that's for sure.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:04 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I recently sold a 997 GTS, so not an RS but still an appreciating and sought after car in the market. I ended up going through a quality consigner who brought the car up to showroom standard. Their wholesale discount on mechanical and detail services + managing it all on a turnkey basis probably paid for the commission and saved me a ton of time. On top of that these consigners typically have a standby list of trusting continent-wide buyers so having a car represented in that “trust bucket” brings a good premium. Whether an RS or a GTS, there’s a subset of buyers who will wait and pay top dollar for a totally clean, vetted, zero-issues/stories car and won’t even look at anything other than that, no matter what the discount. I’ve never used a consigner before but on this car it resulted in net proceeds to me beyond my expectation and definitely beyond what I would have realized prepping it and flogging it on my own.