Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGT3rs
RS engine air filters are BMC oiled from the factory
Old 02-13-2023, 02:27 PM
JCGT3rs
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry for being the newbie .. but not sure if that means .. that they are like K&N in that you can clean and re-oil ... or purchase new OEM .... or that aftermarket don't provide the same features...

thank you ..
Old 02-13-2023, 02:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

sorry for being the newbie .. but not sure if that means .. that they are like K&N in that you can clean and re-oil ... or purchase new OEM .... or that aftermarket don't provide the same features...

thank you ..
no problem, in your original post you asked: "While I have your attentions, is there any meaningful value/improvement in replacing the air intake filters with something OTHER than factory?"

AFIAK the 991 RS (the .2 certainly did) came from the factory with BMC oiled filters, you could certainly clean them and reuse them, I personally would replace them - so in some sense they already are "aftermarket" ...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1gt3rsafk.html

Also, while I have your attention, since you do not have a service history for this car, I would highly recommend that you also replace the engine serpentine belt, this is a required service item by PAG 4yrs/12k mi...

Old 02-13-2023, 02:54 PM
JCGT3rs
Instructor

thank you so much for the reply ....and link to the filters
yes that is also on my punch-list of items to complete.
I wanted to start with the easy stuff first ... engine oil/filter/plugs, PDK pan/oil/plug (pan was leaking), cabin filters, plugs, coil packs, air filters and the item you mentioned. My thinking is this way, I know when and what was done and I can manage to the proper miles/years going forward.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

thank you so much for the reply ....and link to the filters
yes that is also on my punch-list of items to complete.
I wanted to start with the easy stuff first ... engine oil/filter/plugs, PDK pan/oil/plug (pan was leaking), cabin filters, plugs, coil packs, air filters and the item you mentioned. My thinking is this way, I know when and what was done and I can manage to the proper miles/years going forward.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:17 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

i just finished the 2 yr service on my RS. While it was only time to replace the air filters, plugs and coils, I was also ready to replace the belt tensioner as I had inspected earlier and noticed som light oil build up around it. Sure enough, upon closer inspection the tensioner was weeping oil and upon removal when turned upside down it poured out a good amount of its oil. It was original and had 20k miles on it. The belt pulleys were fine and showed no sign of wear (not loose, noisy or damaged), but I decided to replace them both while I'm in there. The belt wasn't scheduled to be replaced for another 2 years (4 yr replacement), but upon inspection I noticed a divot in the center of the belt, likely from road debris, so the belt was replaced as well.

I would highly recommend having a spare tensioner ready whenever you're removing the bumper for service. You can inspect it from underneath the car to see it's starting to leak.

Also, if you've never replaced the belt tensioner before, make sure you do you research on what tools you'll need as accessing the two T50 bolts requires a shallow/stubby socket.

The following 3 users liked this post by SoCalDan:
dbv1 (02-18-2023), JCGT3rs (02-17-2023), Larry Cable (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 11:44 PM
JCGT3rs
Instructor

Thanks for sharing ...... what were the torque specs?

Quick Reply: DIY day .. could use a double check