Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 10:40 AM
rhk118
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

There are some amazing exhausts out there, but I jokingly think you could hook a tuba up to each side of these engines and it would sound great.

I started with Sharkwerks which clicked things up a bit volume wise, sounded great and was totally livable. Needed more volume but the sharkwerks is well behaved, and it sounded better outside, but no different inside to me. Then went GRP/BBi center delete and that was sweet! Increased volume by a lot, sounded great, nice change in volume and pitch but made the valve open and close very on/off. Great for tooting around town and would keep things quiet and when you wanted to step on it really opened things up. I tried disconnecting the valves but resonance was too much to bear with the GRP/BBi. If I were to only use a center rear delete, this would be the one.

Then picked up Dundon street headers with stock rear muffler and that was much louder and other than some resonance in the 2500 RPM range was very happy. So of course eventually transitioned to the Dundon loud exhaust with the street headers and nirvana (for me - exhaust pitch changed in a good way over the stock rear, plus didn't want to crack my stock rear). Resonance is just in that 2500 range and is very quick and only I notice it. It is loud when on it. It sounds fantastic, definitely louder in the cabin, but my car is not a "road trip car" nor will the radio ever be turned on. The street headers and loud exhaust, perfect for me. Their exhaust tips also look the part. When they say it handles the valve delete and makes the sound volume go up linearly, it does. Don't need valves with this.

Last edited by rhk118; 02-04-2023 at 10:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rhk118:
bogey1 (02-05-2023), dsteding (02-11-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:18 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

i did the sharkwerks center bypass. disabled valves.

sounds great to me. loud, but not so loud its obnoxious to neighbors or driving in a downtown area.

i couldn't tolerate stock. its way too quiet. if the stereo is on you can't hear the engine at all when you're cruising.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:38 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118
There are some amazing exhausts out there, but I jokingly think you could hook a tuba up to each side of these engines and it would sound great.
This is an important point, a stock GT3 sounds great and uncorking it in (almost) any way will just make it sound greater until you get to the point where it's just too loud but then you can call it a race car. With something like the 718 GT4 it was a lot trickier to make it sound good.

My view is that because the cars sound good to start with it's pretty important to avoid unpleasant stuff like drone, there's really no reason to put up with it given how symphonic the engine is to begin with in terms of sound that makes it into the cabin.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
LZRD GRN (02-07-2023), rhk118 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 10:31 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Just saw on Soul Performance’s website, the GT3 center muffler is now available in quiet and loud forms. $2995.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 11:23 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts

Dundon street headers and loud muffler on my 991.1 GT3. Perfect for me, the power gains were noticeable, the sound deepens the emotional connection I have with my car. And I cannot say enough good things about the Dundon crew. Jamie deeply cares about these cars and our community. Dude will give friends the shirt off his back and a breakfast burrito as well, Charles is a magician when it comes to understanding these cars, and Ted is an amazing driver and great dude. The entire crew is exactly who you want to do business with and we’re lucky to have them located here in the PNW.
The following 2 users liked this post by dsteding:
bogey1 (02-16-2023), rhk118 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:09 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS
Just saw on Soul Performance’s website, the GT3 center muffler is now available in quiet and loud forms. $2995.
Ka ching!
PCarOMFS (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 02:38 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Let us know if you guys are interested in the Soul exhaust! We can run an introductory pricing for Rennlist members.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 02-12-2023, 02:56 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Let us know if you guys are interested in the Soul exhaust! We can run an introductory pricing for Rennlist members.

-Josh

Looks awesome but we need us some videos with a good sound recording
Meraki Autoworks (02-13-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 03:45 PM
Daniel1000hp
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
There's a lot of permutations possible with GT3 exhausts and I've tried to hear many in person. As most of you know, there are three sections of the GT3 exhausts that you can swap: headers, side mufflers, and center mufflers.

I'll try to provide a summary of my experience below, by increasing volume:

1. Side Muffler Delete: this is the tamest aftermarket configuration. After choosing between valved or no-valves, they all sound effectively the same regardless of brand and material. Great for track because the volume isn’t too bad, and it removes a ton of weight. Also removes a bunch of heat off the rear tires. Most of the GT cars I've seen on track run this setup. Any decently priced pair from a reputable manufacturer would work great.

2. Center Muffler Delete: this is a big step up in volume from SMDs. The volume and tone will vary greatly with design and material. Designs with expansion chambers (GMG, Soul, Dundon, etc) are significantly louder than those without (Sharkwerks, Akrapovic, JCR, etc). Titanium exhausts tend to have a more metallic timbre than those made with stainless steel. The difference between brands with the same design is minuscule (GMG and Soul sound nearly identical; Sharkwerks and Akrapovic sound nearly identical). The Dundon Mini Crack Pipe is easily the loudest center bypass (and also has the biggest megaphone design).

3. Headers + SMD: this assumes retaining the OEM center or an aftermarket center muffler (e.g. Dundon). The volume and tone varies greatly with design and material of the headers, and if you are catted or no cats. Most headers tend to be expensive ($5K and up). If I'm paying that much, I'd only consider Dundon. They have a true long tube design (inherently deletes the OEM side mufflers as the headers are rerouted to occupy that space) that offers real power gains. Paired with a center muffler, it's got a distinctively beefier tone that's different than that of catback configurations. In strict volume, this setup with a factory center is about as loud as quieter CMD above. An aftermarket center like Dundon's is about as loud as an expansion chamber CMD.
*I have not heard any Headers + CMD setup so I can't comment on that. Given the volume increase from a CMD, I'd probably guess it would result in a big volume difference between valves closed/open.

4. Center Delete + Side Delete: this is basically a catback straight pipe and is significantly more aggressive than anything above. Valves don't do much with this setup as all the mufflers have been deleted, so you're just rerouting gases through different sections of straight pipe. I have this setup and on my track day I couldn’t really hear my instructor even with race coms. Sounds epic though and I was the loudest car on track. Your choice of center delete makes the biggest difference in volume here. The Dundon Full Crack Pipe is the loudest version of this setup (comes with a side delete).
OP's SPM RSR exhaust is probably similar to this. I've heard the JCR Race Pipes, which is an all-in-one version of this catback straight pipe setup. It has a very distinctive high pitch at 6-9K RPM. It is quieter than catback straight pipes with an expansion chamber CMD, but still louder than any of the previous configurations mentioned above.

5. Headers + CMD + SMD: never heard this personally but a friend who has said it's 3x louder than my full Soul catback and was the loudest car he'd ever heard. Your ears and neighbors will hate you. When I get a RS, I plan on trying this setup LOL.
1. Side Muffler Bypass: this is

the tamest aftermarket configuration. They all sound the same regardless of brand and material. Great for track because the volume isn’t too bad, and it removes a ton of weight. Also removes a bunch of heat off the rear tires. At MSRC, all the GT cars I saw out there ran this setup.
I have number 5 and I will tell you it's Loud!!
It vibrates everything and has alot of drone.
​My friend said I was vibrating his dash when he was behind me 😜
The sound is glorious when going Full send and people mouth drop when they hear you go by.
It sounds Amazing though
Old 02-14-2023, 06:45 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 489 Posts

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 02-14-2023, 07:40 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 155 Posts

Sharkwerks center bypass for me. I left the valves unplugged so they can operate normally. I love this combo because it's tame when you want it to be but very loud and sporty when you get on it. I wouldn't want more volume personally. No issues with melting here, but then again I don't track the car.

Another bonus, it's pretty reasonably priced compared to the more exotic options.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:29 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Looks awesome but we need us some videos with a good sound recording
I have a lot of videos of the full Soul system on my Instagram.

Here’s a video of a full fly by:
1st car is my Soul system, second JCR Race Pipes, third full GMG
View this post on Instagram
TheDangerZone (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:31 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

TPC Racing - Valved - Side Muffler Delete.

Wonderful sound and incredible build quality.

Customer service is second to none.

Great sound. Throaty. No drone. Works as advertised.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:28 PM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Akrapovic
Old 02-17-2023, 10:43 AM
ErikChich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Akrapovic headers (100 cell cats) with their side deletes & center bypass on my .2 GT3
It sounds amazing at full throttle but it's just too loud under normal driving conditions. It drones, vibrates, & my ears are ringing after a couple hours in the car.

I've been thinking of switching this out for Dundon street headers & their "loud" center muffler or just Dundon headers w/ stock center in an effort to quiet the car down.

Does anyone have any input on how loud the "loud" muffler from Dundon is with their street headers?

Quick Reply: Lets talk about aftermarket exhausts