991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help selling my gt3 maybe

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023 | 01:29 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

I've bought two trucks and three 911's, and sold one 911 on BaT. (That I am a fan of the platform should be obvious.) All private parties, except one small time dealer on the '97 F350. None of the transactions had any hiccups except for the GT3, where seller had a lease on it, and I decided to finance through my credit union. We got it done, but it took months, and dozens of calls to credit union loan personnel. Worth it to get 3.7% rate, locked just before Jerome Powell's September carnage, but not for the faint of heart or impatient seller. Fortunately credit union and I paid lessor and lessee in full, and there was never any doubt we were real. But tested everyone's patience.

Agree with the advice to stay with enthusiast buyers (i.e., rennlist, BaT, PCAR, PCA, et al) and trust your instincts if things start to feel squirrelly. Agree that PPI (paid for by prospective buyer) is all the test drive any high end buyer needs. I would only do wire or known-good-in-person-that-moment cashier's check. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 01-07-2023 | 01:40 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Great story. Well told. Glad State Farm ate it and not you. Glad the perp got his due. But what about the girl? Happily ever after?
Yep, married since '99. Kids in college. Moved to Idaho though, Portland sucks now.

Originally Posted by victorc31
I wonder what the point was in coming back to check for his "lost" id?
It was preemptive so i din't ask for his ID and photocopy it.
The following users liked this post:
contentmuffin7 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-07-2023 | 08:34 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

It is hit or miss but the odds are against you. Many private party buyers are simply tire kickers.
I tried selling my low mileage 997.2 gt3 and after several RL time wasters i went to my local dealer who gave me $8k over my private party "ask" plus I got a 5 figure tax offset on next purchase.

Bottom line was that my yield from the dealers was just under $20k over private party
Old 01-07-2023 | 09:24 PM
Randy M
Drifting

What many people don't understand is that talking to tire kickers, used sales guys etc is part of the process of selling a car. What doesn't sell a car is an ad (or a person) who's says things like "don't waste my time" "if it's listed then it's still for sale so don't ask" "low ballers will be ignored" and all of that negative sort of dialogue. The best way to sell is to answer every question truthfully and with a positive attitude. Nobody likes to buy from a d*ck.
Old 01-12-2023 | 09:58 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

If you want to try to get close to retail be ready for endless tire kicking and hopefully a sale

if you ask close to wholesale either a wholesaler Or a guy will just wire you funds and you fedex them the title

last three cars I bought were from second category seller had funds 20 minutes after talking on the phone with them

everyone happy

you need clean clear title
Old 01-12-2023 | 10:26 AM
mad_max
Racer

Originally Posted by victorc31
Hi,

I've never done a private sale so just looking for some advice.
The car is paid but bank of america has the electronic title.
Should I have a paper title or does that not matter?

Next, the only thing I feel comfortable with is the buyer bringing a Bank of America certified check and meet me at a Bank of America branch where I'd verify that the money goes into my account.
At that point I'd sign over the title and hand over the keys.

I'm in the market for a 991.2, but want a 6spd.

Is there anything else? is this expecting too much?
I know a buyer may want to finance the car so how do I get the cash into my account before handing over keys and title.

Is it reasonable to ask for proof of funds before a test drive? Should I even let someone drive it or do they go in the passenger seat?

the car is:
2019 GT3 w/ wing, racing yellow with the satin platinum wheels(not black). It's in Tampa. It has 4300 miles (basically 7 trips to Miami and back). It was bought at Porsche Melbourne and serviced at Porsche Tampa... most recent service was the spark plug service, 3 year service, I think. It has PCCB, 18-ways, PDK, LED w/ PDLS lights (not black), FAL, leather/alcantara w/ extended stitching (yellow), sport chrono, seatback shells and steering column in leather w/ stitching ... It has 3 months left on the 4-year factory warranty so still eligible for whatever extended warranty Porsche has while in warranty. I'd probably take $190k, which is what I paid for it (sticker is 175k).

If I can't get comfortable w/ the transaction then I'll just keep it.. I don't really mind keeping it. I'm selling because I can't bring myself to putting miles on (devaluing) it. I have a 2016 turbo, a 2017 M4 and a 2014 GT500 .. just love them all, so no worries about driving fun.

I'm happy to post an ad if I get that far so if that answers why I don't post in the for-sale section...

Thanks! Happy New Year!
I sold my 991.1 to Porsche of Clearwater about 3months ago and they paid me pretty strong money. I had a small amount do on my BoA loan as well, which they paid off. I can introduce you to the GM there, that's who I dealt with.
Old 01-12-2023 | 03:25 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Private party sales are certainly a little more difficult when offering a vehicle everyone "wants" to buy... I'm not sure if it is the same where you live, but here in Arizona, you do not pay sales tax private party vehicle sales, making it the preferred way of purchasing a vehicle by many.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 01-13-2023 | 03:46 AM
contentmuffin7
Track Day

thanks for all the insights - I'm in the process of selling my '20 992. I've received a decent amount of inbound interest from "highly enthusiastic" prospective buyers, but as soon as I provide availability to show the car, they disappear.
One recent interested buyer has kept in touch since before Xmas (was waiting on DMV to release title after paying off the loan with my credit union). I take this as a good sign. They were in quite a rush to buy before new years eve for some reason, but the DMV had other plans

I have wondered how to go about the test drive. Thoughts on them being in the passenger instead of actually driving it? thanks!

Quick Reply: help selling my gt3 maybe