Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gonna be attending WRL this weekend @ COTA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 12:28 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Anyone gonna be attending WRL this weekend @ COTA?

Just wondering if any members will be at WRL this weekend? I'll be heading down in the RS on Thursday for the Friday DE and then racing in a BMW for the weekend. Would be cool to meet some folks if anyone will be there racing.
I'm going to take a scenic route down on Thursday and enjoy a much needed day away from work.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:19 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Just wondering if any members will be at WRL this weekend? I'll be heading down in the RS on Thursday for the Friday DE and then racing in a BMW for the weekend. Would be cool to meet some folks if anyone will be there racing.
I'm going to take a scenic route down on Thursday and enjoy a much needed day away from work.
Yep! Although, sort of. I'm first on the standby list running an E36 GP2 entry. Hoping we'll get in for both races, but will likely be racing Sunday due to attrition amongst the field on Saturday. I'll be loading in Thursday and doing the DE/Practice/Quali. Which BMW are you running?

Last edited by Jickel180; 11-28-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:23 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Nice, I'll keep an eye out for you. There will definitely be attrition on Saturday and maybe even Friday. I have normally run my own car in this event but bought a seat from a friend this time. If you see a silver .1 RS come say hey.
The following users liked this post:
Jickel180 (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 05:16 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Nice, I'll keep an eye out for you. There will definitely be attrition on Saturday and maybe even Friday. I have normally run my own car in this event but bought a seat from a friend this time. If you see a silver .1 RS come say hey.
I definitely get why you paid for a seat instead. Lots of moving parts to get in order to get this old E36 and support structure ready by Thursday still. I'll keep an eye out for your RS. If things are going well I'll come by and say hi, if you don't see me, well...I'll be wrenching on the car in the paddock wishing I paid for a seat lol. I'll be driving my white .1 GT3 to/from the track.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:50 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

yeah getting support can be tough and expensive. i know a lot of bmw folks in the paddock if you need any help.
Jickel180 (11-29-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 10:45 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Well looks like we both finished well on Sunday with us in 2nd and you in 3rd. We should have won but we got held up by traffic during that last yellow. Saturday was good as well but we had a flat and went from 2nd to 5th.
We used my RS as the pace car and i got some good photos/video at the start. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, was such as crazy weekend.

Jickel180 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Well looks like we both finished well on Sunday with us in 2nd and you in 3rd. We should have won but we got held up by traffic during that last yellow. Saturday was good as well but we had a flat and went from 2nd to 5th.
We used my RS as the pace car and i got some good photos/video at the start. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, was such as crazy weekend.

Now THAT's a proper pace car! Much better than the Tesla used on Sunday. I did see your RS at the tail end of the DE on Friday on pit lane while I was taking my GT3 out for the last 20 minutes of it. It was a nice reminder of how good these cars are out of the box, and it was good to get a taste of power before going back into our 200 hp race cars lol.

Congrats on your 2nd place finish! Wish we could have been closer to you and North Loop at the end but our pit stop time was killing us. I started on Sunday and had some great fun running up front with some door to door action with your car (was that you at the start?) and the North Loop E46.

Saturday was "interesting" for us as well. Our LR hub completely sheared off in T2 sending the wheel and our driver off into the gravel trap narrowly missing another car. Luckily we sourced another control arm/hub/etc. and got it all installed Saturday night but man my body is paying for it today.

Last edited by Jickel180; 12-05-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:08 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Oh wow, that's scary man, glad ya'll were able to fix it and get back on track. There were a decent amount of equipment failures and a few close calls like yours. I spent 3 hours in the car Sunday from about 10-1 and was completely wiped after and then had to drive back to Dallas. We had a great showing and the car was phenomenal with almost no issues. We managed to get into the 34's but mainly turned 37s through traffic. Those M2 Comps were holding me up constantly from 2-9 and helped to ruin our win on Sunday, but that's how it goes with this type of event. We'll probably run this car next year in Champcar more and then do WRL COTA again with it and the team's M4 GT4.

I took 3 people around during the Friday DE who had never been on track, they all had a blast and were done after just 3 laps each. And you're right, these cars need almost nothing out the box to be fast and fun.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:26 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Oh wow, that's scary man, glad ya'll were able to fix it and get back on track. There were a decent amount of equipment failures and a few close calls like yours. I spent 3 hours in the car Sunday from about 10-1 and was completely wiped after and then had to drive back to Dallas. We had a great showing and the car was phenomenal with almost no issues. We managed to get into the 34's but mainly turned 37s through traffic. Those M2 Comps were holding me up constantly from 2-9 and helped to ruin our win on Sunday, but that's how it goes with this type of event. We'll probably run this car next year in Champcar more and then do WRL COTA again with it and the team's M4 GT4.

I took 3 people around during the Friday DE who had never been on track, they all had a blast and were done after just 3 laps each. And you're right, these cars need almost nothing out the box to be fast and fun.
I hear that! I'm still worn out from this weekend. Those GTO and the one blue GP1 M2 were pretty frustrating to be behind. They were so slow in the corners where our cars shine, making it tricky to pass. I imagine we'll rebuild this E36 and optimize it more for WRL events, but if not I want to be in a GT4 car for the race next year too. Hope to run with more RL members like yourself next year.

I talked to one other 991 GT3 RL member who ran in the silver RRT E36 GP1 car, but what I really want to know is what kind of power their GP2 E36 had. That thing's pace was practically in a different class and ran a 2:32 Sunday morning.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Yeah their GP2 car was lightning quick. We had somewhere between .8-1 left on the table so we're far from optimized. North Loop has solid drivers and a really reliable e46.
I think the Choice boys are going to evaluate what races they want to compete in with 2 cars next year. COTA is easy for them to run 2 cars since they're out of Houston and have lots of crew. I'd want to do Barber, Daytona and Sebring in addition to COTA next year, Would be cool to meet more people on here who race but this sub forum isn't the right place, likely much better over in the Racing forum.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:26 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah their GP2 car was lightning quick. We had somewhere between .8-1 left on the table so we're far from optimized. North Loop has solid drivers and a really reliable e46.
I think the Choice boys are going to evaluate what races they want to compete in with 2 cars next year. COTA is easy for them to run 2 cars since they're out of Houston and have lots of crew. I'd want to do Barber, Daytona and Sebring in addition to COTA next year, Would be cool to meet more people on here who race but this sub forum isn't the right place, likely much better over in the Racing forum.
We're planning to bring a TCR and a TCA car down to WRL events starting with Road Atlanta, and then doing Barber, Mid-Ohio, Daytona, VIR, Sebring and hopefully end at COTA. Will be cool to meet you all!

Last edited by shizzle; 12-07-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:31 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shizzle
We're planning to bring a TCR and a TCA car down to WRL events starting with Road Atlanta, and then doing Barber, Mid-Ohio, Daytona, VIR, Sebring and hopefully end at COTA. Will be cool to meet you all!
Awesome! more the merrier. What cars?
Old 12-07-2022, 10:45 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome! more the merrier. What cars?
An Audi RS3 LMS TCR (gen 1) and a new Honda Civic TCA car.
Brainofjjj (12-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone gonna be attending WRL this weekend @ COTA?