Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 991.1 Potential Purchase - Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 01:18 PM
Diverged
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 991.1 Potential Purchase - Am I crazy?

Good afternoon all,

Sold my M2 and I have been in the market for a GT car for a few months. I test drove a 2015 yesterday with 111,000k miles. Firstly, I know it is crazy to even consider a car like this but the private party price is low enough to justify posting on the forums. However, the car pulled really nice and the history on paper (2 owner, maintained exclusively at Porsche dealers) looked okay. I have a PPI set up on Monday because my curiosity is peaked. For reference, I had not considered a GT3..I have been waiting for a nicely spec'd 981 GT4 to normalize.

Interesting but short thread on the exact car: https://www.reddit.com/r/Porsche/com...1_gt3_and_its/

Is a GT car in this territory even worth the risk? Has there been any .1 that have exceeded the warranty maximums? Anyways I think there is a tiny bit of novelty having the car reach this level with basic maintenance but would love to get your thoughts! Appreciate you taking the time to read, thanks.

Chris
Old 10-07-2022, 02:33 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 150 Posts

Car aside, you do sound crazy.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:34 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

Do you have $50k laying around for a new engine in case it blows after 120k miles? A new PDK is like $22k and not covered by the engine warranty. I think it would need to be like $85k to justify this kind of mileage compared to a car with 30k miles at $125-130k or whatever.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (10-09-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:37 PM
Diverged
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
I joined this forum after reading for a few months to ask a genuine question. Comment was unnecessary but appreciate the welcome
The following 3 users liked this post by Diverged:
itrsteve (10-09-2022), Larry Cable (10-07-2022), ldamelio (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:40 PM
Diverged
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Do you have $50k laying around for a new engine in case it blows after 120k miles? A new PDK is like $22k and not covered by the engine warranty. I think it would need to be like $85k to justify this kind of mileage compared to a car with 30k miles at $125-130k or whatever.
Thanks for the note about the PDK. Good to know.. for reference, this car is in the ballpark of 80-90. As for the new engine, yeah risk/reward is kind of low (reward being G engine within 9k miles or two years)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:47 PM
Lucid Moment
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

What is the price of the car? Has the engine been replaced to a later series? You still have the 10 year, 120K mile warranty if it hasn't.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:05 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

Far too many fish in the sea to go after a car of that profile, IMHO.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:22 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

exactly, there's so many cars out there. Unless this car is 50k why bother with all the risk. Even if you get the car for 50k and should u put in 50k to fix the pdk or engine, (so now u are 100k in), the car is still barely worth that with the miles
The following users liked this post:
welikethetrack (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 04:10 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

The idea of getting a GT3 isn't crazy. Deciding to purchase this particular car comes with more risk. Parking the engine discussion for a moment, you mentioned the service records only looked "okay". That alone might be a non starter for some. When you factor the miles on this car it should have extensive maintenance records. At minimum, one may expect it is up to date based on time and mileage. I would review the service manual and see what should have been done and compare that with what was actually completed. It was mentioned you might consider the cost of PDK, etc. It doesn't mean these parts aren't robust, but at this mileage some things might be nearing end of life, this include suspension components, etc. Back to the engine, there is some protection but you're right up against it with this mileage.

Another way if might help some provide perspective is listing exactly what you want in your ideal Porsche - color, options, condition, etc.? For example, someone looking for a white GT3 w/full leather and PCCB may not consider a silver one similarly equipped. Alternatively, if your want to buy add listed - any GT3 desired in the 80-90k range - you may be limited to a salvage title, something that has been in a wreck, or in this case high mileage against its peers - at least in today's market.

It's your money and decision. I believe the 991.1 GT3 is an amazing vehicle. Good luck as you sort through the decision.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

What's the asking price?

What is "low enough" (as you say)?
Old 10-07-2022, 04:50 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Don't let some comments get to you, hang out on the forum long enough and you'll be chopping it up with the rest of us... but like @wkf94025 said.... plenty of fish in the sea. The saying "nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari" applies to 991.1 GT3's as well.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 10-07-2022, 04:52 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Beside the potential engine or pdk failure risk, with that many miles there are plenty of suspenion, bushings, etc that are just flat wore out. The car will likely feel sloppy in comparison to even a regular C2
Old 10-07-2022, 05:27 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

I've commented on this car in other threads here on Rennlist before because I test drove it in 2018. This is what I know and even though it's hearsay I have no reason not to believe what I was told is true. I was friends with Paul Saavedra, the long time shop mgr at Monterey Porsche before he left to take a job in New Zealand at a dealer there. He called me in 2018 when Monterey took this car in and suggested I come check it out because he had done all the work on it since new and thought it was a great deal based on what they were going to sell it for. I believe it had 109K miles on it at the time. He told me the original owner racked up the miles driving it between the Bay Area and Denver numerous times a month. Paul told me that the guy was a freak about the maintenance and had MP do everything as required including some things that didn't really need done like the wheel carriers/bearing replacement. Paul was about 99% sure the original owner had never tracked it. I had first crack at the car but ultimately decided to buy my GT3 (which they also had just taken in). Part of my decision was based on my assumption that with that many miles it was unlikely the finger follower issues were ever going to take that motor out and it would probably just die of old age. I knew that I would be tracking the car and even though I paid $30K more for my 2015 with 12K miles I really didn't want to hassle stuff potentially breaking at the track and having to spend that saved $ then. I don't know at this point if the motor ever got replaced but if you call Nick Newton, the service mgr at MP, he would probably tell you the latest. I doubt the 2nd owner beat this car up in 2k miles and I remember how nice the car looked and and "tight" it drove for 109K miles. FWIW.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:17 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I've commented on this car in other threads here on Rennlist before because I test drove it in 2018. This is what I know and even though it's hearsay I have no reason not to believe what I was told is true. I was friends with Paul Saavedra, the long time shop mgr at Monterey Porsche before he left to take a job in New Zealand at a dealer there. He called me in 2018 when Monterey took this car in and suggested I come check it out because he had done all the work on it since new and thought it was a great deal based on what they were going to sell it for. I believe it had 109K miles on it at the time. He told me the original owner racked up the miles driving it between the Bay Area and Denver numerous times a month. Paul told me that the guy was a freak about the maintenance and had MP do everything as required including some things that didn't really need done like the wheel carriers/bearing replacement. Paul was about 99% sure the original owner had never tracked it. I had first crack at the car but ultimately decided to buy my GT3 (which they also had just taken in). Part of my decision was based on my assumption that with that many miles it was unlikely the finger follower issues were ever going to take that motor out and it would probably just die of old age. I knew that I would be tracking the car and even though I paid $30K more for my 2015 with 12K miles I really didn't want to hassle stuff potentially breaking at the track and having to spend that saved $ then. I don't know at this point if the motor ever got replaced but if you call Nick Newton, the service mgr at MP, he would probably tell you the latest. I doubt the 2nd owner beat this car up in 2k miles and I remember how nice the car looked and and "tight" it drove for 109K miles. FWIW.
If it’s in good shape and was taken care of then I’d say $80-85k would be a nice deal for a car you can beat on for another 9k miles. There will always be someone out there that wants an $80k GT3. I’d bet even at auction on BAT or pcarmarket it would hold value in that range pretty well.
Old 10-08-2022, 01:40 AM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Agreed. Too many great examples out there to consider one like this. Even for a low purchase price, it would just be a money pit and a hassle to keep fixing things. Maybe a good dedicated track car after going through everything.

I bought my 2015 with 24k miles and thought about that mileage for a while when lower mileage examples were out there. Pulled the trigger because it was a one owner car with almost everything I wanted, and always maintained by the dealer that originally sold.

Quick Reply: GT3 991.1 Potential Purchase - Am I crazy?