Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 Gear Whine? Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 11:20 PM
SAF
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.1 GT3 Gear Whine? Coolant Leak?

After recently picking up a 2014 GT3 with 12k miles, I noticed what sounded like gear whine tonight. I drive the car normally until its up to temperature, then I usually blast a few backroads to let the car stretch its legs.
I had a basic service done on the car a few weeks ago and there aren't any lights or warnings on the dash.

Is a little bit of gear whine normal for these cars? I heard a bit of what sounded like straight cut gears tonight, but perhaps its just a GT3 characteristic. Other thread posts claimed they don't have said noise in their cars.

While my engine is still under warranty until 2024, I just want to make sure I'm not walking into bigger issues. The car seems strong, but I'd like to know what I should keep an eye out for. One thing that happened was after the service, I took it for a spirited drive, and a few hours after parking the car red coolant had leaked out of the engine and the cap was slightly loose, but the bobber still read full (car doesn't go above normal temps while driving). I'm assuming a little extra was worked out, but I doubt that's gear related.

Please let me know if this is normal and if there's anything I should keep an eye out for! Hopefully this whine isn't a finger follower saying goodbye. I feel like that would be little more pronounced.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:27 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 336 Posts

My car has gear whine. Normal AFAIC.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:32 PM
SAF
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RDCR
My car has gear whine. Normal AFAIC.
Happy to hear that. I'm still getting used to the Porsche but better safe than sorry.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:04 AM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SAF
Happy to hear that. I'm still getting used to the Porsche but better safe than sorry.
mine sounds like marbles bouncing around back there. I was told it’s normal.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:51 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Totally normal. If you get into a GT3 after coming from a 911, you will be nervous. The rear makes all sorts of noises - gear whine, clanking etc.
The following users liked this post:
Rick GT3 (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 08:57 AM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

BUT... When you hit the gas it's a symphony of of joy...
The following 3 users liked this post by rickster997:
991carreradriver (09-01-2022), Rick GT3 (09-01-2022), torresmd (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 01:53 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SAF
After recently picking up a 2014 GT3 with 12k miles, I noticed what sounded like gear whine tonight. I drive the car normally until its up to temperature, then I usually blast a few backroads to let the car stretch its legs.
I had a basic service done on the car a few weeks ago and there aren't any lights or warnings on the dash.

Is a little bit of gear whine normal for these cars? I heard a bit of what sounded like straight cut gears tonight, but perhaps its just a GT3 characteristic. Other thread posts claimed they don't have said noise in their cars.

While my engine is still under warranty until 2024, I just want to make sure I'm not walking into bigger issues. The car seems strong, but I'd like to know what I should keep an eye out for. One thing that happened was after the service, I took it for a spirited drive, and a few hours after parking the car red coolant had leaked out of the engine and the cap was slightly loose, but the bobber still read full (car doesn't go above normal temps while driving). I'm assuming a little extra was worked out, but I doubt that's gear related.

Please let me know if this is normal and if there's anything I should keep an eye out for! Hopefully this whine isn't a finger follower saying goodbye. I feel like that would be little more pronounced.

Someone once said it sounds like Grandma's Singer Sewing Machine from the 1950's . I completely agree!
991carreradriver (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 03:30 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SAF

Someone once said it sounds like Grandma's Singer Sewing Machine. I completely agree!
Old 09-01-2022, 06:51 PM
SAF
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TinyPP
Someone once said it sounds like Grandma's Singer Sewing Machine. I completely agree!
I think I saw a YouTube comment saying it's like a "chainsaw going through a chainlink fence". Accurate. Nothing gets the blood flowing like a wide open throttle and those last 3k rpm, though.
991carreradriver (09-01-2022)

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 Gear Whine? Coolant Leak?