Sponsored by:

Track brake pads reviews and comparaison

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 03:56 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Track brake pads reviews and comparaison

I d like to start a topic to compare and review different track brake pads...

I d like some comments on the latest pagid pads, PFC 13 , Different ENDLESS types as there are many , Ferodo racing, Manthey racing and others

I would suggest direct comparaison comments between pads , noise, initial bite, rotor wear, fading resistance etc...

Thanks

Old 06-29-2022, 04:19 PM
Nagata-San
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Used many of all.

My preferences, in order from most to worst:

- PFC 11 or 311
- Endless
- Manthey
- OEM
- Pagid Yellow
The following users liked this post:
dommydom (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:27 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nagata-San
Used many of all.

My preferences, in order from most to worst:

- PFC 11 or 311
- Endless
- Manthey
- OEM
- Pagid Yellow
Based on dust, noise, bite, fade? Suprised to see those above OEM, and Yellow's worst than OEM.

OEM is a very good choice on a track with few hard braking areas and running street tires.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:45 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

I also used PFC 11 ( really harsh on disc wear but otherwise really good )
DS 1.11 good just some squealing
Pagid RS29 ( like the pads but not too easy to bed in perfectly , expensive, would like a little more initial bite )

For me OEM really lack initial bite even on street , and of course are not the best for track use... Just a good OEM pad

Never used Endless , Manthey , and some other PFC or Ferodo compounds

Old 06-29-2022, 04:49 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by TET GT3
Based on dust, noise, bite, fade? Suprised to see those above OEM, and Yellow's worst than OEM.

OEM is a very good choice on a track with few hard braking areas and running street tires.
If you are slow.... LOL! Just messing. Base brakes are not good on track unless you are new and even then you can wear them out quickly. Same goes for S and GTS steel brakes. But you can still wear the OEM pads out quickly on a steel GT setup. Of course PCCB's are a different story. The OEM pads are more street oriented. That's why all us track guys change out the pads quickly if not right after purchase of the car. I'm a PFC and Endless fan myself. Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Race Technology RE10 are my favorite. Extremely long life for pads and rotors offsets their high price. Work well on street too (as long as you get to track fairly regularly, otherwise they get noisy until you bed them again).
johnwb (07-02-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 05:38 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

991.2 GT3 RS:
OEM brake pad not bad bc brake cooling on 991.2 RS better than any before.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:29 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

my preference:

Ferodo 3.12
PFC 11

My GT3RS had PCCB, but installed Girodisc & Ferodo 3.12 for track use.
3.12, initial bite is hard and there no drop in performance (brake fading), no dusty pads and rotor/disc wear at this moment is normal.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:40 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Race Technology RE10 are my favorite. Extremely long life for pads and rotors offsets their high price. Work well on street too (as long as you get to track fairly regularly, otherwise they get noisy until you bed them again).
I'll second this. My last set of fronts got replaced when they were about the thickness of the backing plate, and that was only because I was running at Road America where there are some big deceleration events. They were still performing great at that point. At a less demanding track I'd have kept them installed.

On the street they do make a little noise and dust like crazy.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:10 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 521 Posts

In terms of track performance, both Pagid RSL 1 and Ferodo DS3.12 are flawless in my opinion. Way beyond HPDE spec. Virtually fade proof, strong initial bite, long wear, etc. etc. etc. If you want install, bed, and forget about it type track performance, I can't imagine being disappointed in either. Get what you pay for applies here.

The DS3.12 will make some noise under various conditions whereas I've found the RSL 1 really quiet overall, both on road and track.

Worth noting that there are wide performance differences in these similarly named pads and categories, similar looking pads. Have to do your homework. DS2500 isn't anything like the DS3.12, "Pagid Yellow" is way too broad now.

Years ago the best track performance I'd experienced was with Pagid RS29. At that time you were choosing between (or staggering) the RS29 and RS19.

Right now I have RSL 29 on my rear axle (due to RSL 1 being out of stock at the time of rear disc swap), and I don't think it's as strong a track pad as the RS29 once was, even though it's supposed to be about the same compound. The overall bite and consistency just isn't quite as sharp as with RSL 1 at both ends, or when compared to my memories of the old RS29's.

If you look at the COF vs Temp charts from the brake manufacturers like Pagid, which I highly recommend you do when making track pad choices, you can see that the current RSL 29 isn't hanging with the RSL 1, especially when temperatures build https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...amily-rsl.html

And if you want a shortcut to better than you and your tires track pad performance, just pick the pad with the higher line on the COF vs Temp charts. These manufacturers aren't messing around with their data.
JRitt@essex (07-29-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 10:27 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
This is exactly my experience. I find them similar to how Pagid Yellow were in my 997 GT3. Good endurance pad but not as much bite as Pagid Black. If you're worried about rotor wear then this is okay.
I keep the RE10s on for track and street. Love them for that convenience.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:21 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

PFC 11...Still my favorite, after trying Raybestos and Ferodo 3.12, with Girodiscs.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:46 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Its very dependant on (1) the type of event (2) where it is being held and (3) how you drive - there isn't a one size fits all.

If there is no discussion around (a) effective temperature ranges (b) coefficient of friction (c) brake bias and (d) modulation - it becomes a bit of a pointless exercise.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-06-2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:08 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by KOAN
PFC 11...Still my favorite, after trying Raybestos and Ferodo 3.12, with Girodiscs.
same.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:54 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Right now I have RSL 29 on my rear axle (due to RSL 1 being out of stock at the time of rear disc swap), and I don't think it's as strong a track pad as the RS29 once was, even though it's supposed to be about the same compound. The overall bite and consistency just isn't quite as sharp as with RSL 1 at both ends, or when compared to my memories of the old RS29's..
I am really interested in the PAGID RSL1

I also tought that on some other older cars the old RS29 was feeling more aggresive than the RSL29 , but don't know if they slightly changed it and made it less agressive or if it depends on other things as size of calipers , rotors , brake master cylinder etc

On the 991 GT3 I used some RSL29 and they were doing well but lacked just a touch of initial bite and friction , also they weren t the easier pads to bed in properly and if not done correctly the material was becoming somehow cracked ( even if it did not seem to be a real problem )

I guess the RSL1 might be better and maybe not crack as easely , but I wonder how they compare in rotor wear , and also as on the specifications the friction and bite seem to be much higher ( maybe even more than the RS14 ) I would not want them to be somehow

too much when used on a car with semi slicks and with a more assisted brake booster like the GT3 RS especially when using them at full attack in a shorter twisty track

Any other reviews of RSL 1 vs RSL29 ?

BTW I like the Ferodo DS 1.11 just a little noisy on the street

PFC 11 are also good but really wearing out rotors quicker

Quick Reply: Track brake pads reviews and comparaison