Windshield Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 09:53 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
That film is more expensive than my glass deductible lol
If I recall the film was about $120, and took me about an hour to apply.
No way would I prefer to deal with the hassle of replacing glass even if free. Waste of time and risk of damage to the car.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 PM
inspire
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

You can try STEK DYNOflex, my buddy over at PPF Wrap Up applies it. https://www.ppfwrapup.com/

Other than that not really many cost effective options I think, having the film makes it hassle free in that you don't have to keep replacing the windshield so it should pay off in the long run (even if its $250 for you).

Also, I am about to replace my windshield as well, just curious any recommendations or have you been going to the dealer? Porsche Marin quoted me around $3k.

Last edited by inspire; 06-27-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:34 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Got another crack in my front glass from a tiny, grain-of-sand sized chip. This will be my 4th windshield replacement lol.

What do y'all do to protect your front glass, or is this just a fact of life when you actually drive these cars? Some sort of temp/peelable film? Like a tear-away?

My insurance company is probably scratching their head about why I keep putting in $3K claims for windshields
Get the cheap Chinese glass! I went through three Porsche OEM windshields in one year, and opted for the generic Chinese type (FUYAO), and it hasn't broken in two years!
Old 06-27-2022, 10:40 PM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have clearplex on a another hobby car for 7yrs..has lots of wear. Saves windscreen from pitting and chips..Still doing its job

I have new STEK product on the gt2rs. Superior clarity and also hydrophobic.

Last edited by Thrownaway; 06-27-2022 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:56 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 725 Posts

Just got exoshield done on my touring last week at tint fanatics in stoneham mass. Have another appointment tomorrow for TRX. I watched Larry from ammonyc get it done to his taycan when he first got it. Looked up closest installer and Dan from tint fanatics was nearby. He was also the one who did Larry’s taycan. Skip to 14:08 in the video.

I also bought the warranty which I think was an extra $250 that covers up to $3000 for windshield. Would cover new windshield and a fresh layer of exoshield.

Last edited by Jbravo23; 06-27-2022 at 11:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jbravo23:
catdog2 (06-28-2022), thebishman (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:05 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by TET GT3
If I recall the film was about $120, and took me about an hour to apply.
No way would I prefer to deal with the hassle of replacing glass even if free. Waste of time and risk of damage to the car.
I ordered the 4-layer to try. Will see how that goes. $300.

After 4 windshields, I can say I don't think there's much risk of damage to the car, though.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:06 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by inspire
Also, I am about to replace my windshield as well, just curious any recommendations or have you been going to the dealer? Porsche Marin quoted me around $3k.
Porsche Fremont. I would stay away from Porsche Marin—they royally screwed up with me and I will never go back there. They could offer me a new 992 GT3RS below sticker and I wouldn't buy it from them.

The team at Fremont is the best in the Bay Area. They have techs there who only work on GT cars and know them inside and out.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:08 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by WP0
Get the cheap Chinese glass! I went through three Porsche OEM windshields in one year, and opted for the generic Chinese type (FUYAO), and it hasn't broken in two years!
Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:35 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Why is Porsche putting such soft and breakable windshields in our cars is a reasonable question?

PPF really saves the paint, but I've replaced my windshield at 20k because it was so chipped up...
Old 06-28-2022, 09:47 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

My personal experience on the film stuff over the windshield is not worth the pain in the ***. Most guys I know including myself who had it on has already ripped it off and even the best PPF installers here in Atlanta don't recommend it anymore. Here are the reasons: if you do any aggressive driving, track or mountain runs, rocks and debris are going to surely hit your windshield. In most cases that debris is small and would not chip or mark up normal glass. If you have the film or exoshield, any hit on the plastic film will cause a blemish or mark. While it protects the windshield from larger cracks it looks like **** in a very short period of time. Road rash all over it. Your windshield wipers will catch every nick and chatter/tear up faster. Worse part is when you go to clean off your windshield with a microfiber towel is like your rubbing over sandpaper and every nick in the film tears at the microfiber threads, so you spend minutes trying to pick off the lint trapped in the film. Aside from it really looking terrible after a few runs, it's the cost. It's not cheap to replace if done right by qualified installers. Cost for windshield film replacing can on average be between $600 to $800 depending on where you are. If you factor that in vs a deductible to replace the windshield if needed, your better off. From a visibility perspective your glass windshield will hold up to road rash much better than the film. Everyone I know including me has ripped it off and don't intend to replace it. Just sharing my experience
The following 2 users liked this post by Dguth:
awu (06-29-2022), silverscooby27 (07-01-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:00 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Install PPF yourself
i have this on 4 car windshields for up to 2 years and love it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175034346559
It is low tack and 8 mil thick, meaning my jeep Rubicon front windshield is 2 years old, receives direct rock hits every 2 weeks in Phoenix, Arizona and it is still completely blemish free yet final removal is easy without adhesive clean-up problems.

The windshield rock hits are very loud inside the cabin but there is never a crack or bullseye. The film has a self-healing quality that cleans up wiper marks too, simply set it in the sun
My new 392XR just arrived and windshield PPF was the first thing installed. Sure enough, with under 200 miles on the new car the front windshield took a very loud rock hit from a highway trailer without mudflaps.
no resulting damage.

Last edited by Perimeter; 06-28-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:13 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.
Just so you know the details: the FUYAO Chinese glass was much cheaper than the OEM glass (installed for free in Florida, whereas the OEM glass carried a $500 extra charge) I had gone through three OEM windshields in short order, so I figured I would try something else. At first I wasn't completely pleased with the cosmetic appearance for several reasons: 1. the windshield has slightly sharper edges all around the periphery, and 2. is slightly smaller, leaving a slightly larger gap (1-2 wider) between the edge of the windshield and the body of the car than the OEM leaves, and 3. the bottom of the windshield, while completely covered by the lower plastic cover, doesn't extend as far underneath that same cover along the lower aspect of the windshield. When they install it, you may need to make sure that they center the windshield, as it's easier to get it off-center, since it's smaller.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Install PPF yourself
i have this on 4 car windshields for up to 2 years and love it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175034346559
It is low tack and 8 mil thick, meaning my jeep Rubicon front windshield is 2 years old, receives direct rock hits every 2 weeks in Phoenix, Arizona and it is still completely blemish free yet final removal is easy without adhesive clean-up problems.

The windshield rock hits are very loud inside the cabin but there is never a crack or bullseye. The film has a self-healing quality that cleans up wiper marks too, simply set it in the sun
My new 392XR just arrived and windshield PPF was the first thing installed. Sure enough, with under 200 miles on the new car the front windshield took a very loud rock hit from a highway trailer without mudflaps.
no resulting damage.
Thanks - do you use Polarized sun glasses with this film? My understanding is that it is a bad combo with many types of films...
Old 06-28-2022, 07:36 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Thanks - do you use Polarized sun glasses with this film? My understanding is that it is a bad combo with many types of films...
I have used multiple brands of polarized sunglasses with both Clearplex and Exoshield and have never had any issues. Now with HUDs; not so lucky.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I have used multiple brands of polarized sunglasses with both Clearplex and Exoshield and have never had any issues. Now with HUDs; not so lucky.
Thanks - the local PPF place here uses STEK and they told me that polarized glasses do diminish clarity of the view.

Quick Reply: Windshield Protection?