Sponsored by:

First GT3 - any advice or tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 01:23 PM
RWD7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First GT3 - any advice or tips

Hi all - long time Porsche owner, but my first GT3 has just been acquired and beyond the engine any advice on care and ownership of a 991.1 GT3

Year: 2015
Make: Porsche
Mileage: 18K'ish
PCCB, Front Lift, Sharkworks Exhaust, Currently Original engine is in the car. I am having the GT3 pampered with a old film removal some minor paint correction and fresh PPF wrapping with my guy Anthony Lahner at EXOTICAR in LA (the best). Photo of it arriving at EXOTICAR HQ for its Spa treatments Im going to put miles on this car, its not there to look at, but damn it is nice to look at.
AC is also getting looked at South Bay Porsche (where I purchased) after and then it will get a proper PCH drive up to the Bay Area.
Only other thing is I am changing is I'm putting the PCM 3.1 back in the car with NM Automotive Carplay - Currently it has an aftermarket unit and I can't have that. The stock look is just better. It just is.

Any advice or best practices please let me know.

If anyone does have a suggestion for engine oil lab sample review - send it my way to see if there is anything pointing to the known issue of replacement would be helpful as well.

I have only had 20 miles'ish of wheel time in the GT, but I smiled every single millimeter of it. i know my risks with the 991.1, but the reward is still bigger and better for me. Lucky man for sure.

Ciao,
RD

Old 06-25-2022, 01:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD7
Hi all - long time Porsche owner, but my first GT3 has just been acquired and beyond the engine any advice on care and ownership of a 991.1 GT3

PCCB, Front Lift, Sharkworks Exhaust, Currently Original engine is in the car. I am having the GT3 pampered with a old film removal some minor paint correction and fresh PPF wrapping with my guy Anthony Lahner at EXOTICAR in LA (the best). Photo of it arriving at EXOTICAR HQ for its Spa treatments Im going to put miles on this car, its not there to look at, but damn it is nice to look at.
AC is also getting looked at South Bay Porsche (where I purchased) after and then it will get a proper PCH drive up to the Bay Area.
Only other thing is I am changing is I'm putting the PCM 3.1 back in the car with NM Automotive Carplay - Currently it has an aftermarket unit and I can't have that. The stock look is just better. It just is.

If anyone does have a suggestion for engine oil lab sample review - send it my way to see if there is anything pointing to the known issue of replacement would be helpful as well.

I have only had 20 miles'ish of wheel time in the GT, but I smiled every single millimeter of it. i know my risks with the 991.1, but the reward is still bigger and better for me. Lucky man for sure.

Ciao,
RD

we should get a few GT3's together for a welcome drive and brunch!
The following users liked this post:
RWD7 (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 02:04 PM
RWD7
Track Day

Absolutely in - I should have it back a week after July 4th.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:06 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats. PPF + More sound and you are set. Sounds like you've got both figured out. I really like the SW exhaust. If you get more ambitious later on track down some dundon street headers.

If you have LWBs, P1 designs make some great inserts that upgrade the seats and spruce up the interior in one go.

Welcome and enjoy!
BruceT (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 02:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Congrats. PPF + More sound and you are set. Sounds like you've got both figured out. I really like the SW exhaust. If you get more ambitious later on track down some dundon street headers.

If you have LWBs, P1 designs make some great inserts that upgrade the seats and spruce up the interior in one go.

Welcome and enjoy!
Old 06-25-2022, 02:18 PM
RWD7
Track Day

I have the 18 way Alcantara and while I love the LWBs the 18's are a bit easier to live with as a daily. Its amazing how the SW exhaust really opens up to cup car sound, but valves closed its pretty mellow. Absolutely love it.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:51 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Very nice looking car. I don’t want to be a troll but I would blow that engine before the warranty runs out. So ring it out every chance you get.
slipaway37 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:56 PM
RWD7
Track Day

Thanks - I'll also have the oil tested just to be safe on every measure.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:17 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Congrats, I just love the .1 in black and sometimes wish I went that direction. You've got a great plan with the car. I still never want to get out of mine each drive. You'll enjoy it the more you use it!
RWD7 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 09:04 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD7

Most importantly: learn how to drive it: go to a Porsche Experience Center to learn how to control the vehicle in extreme circumstances; sign up for an autocross; and sign up for a DE/track day with an instructor.
RWD7 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 12:05 PM
RWD7
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Congrats, I just love the .1 in black and sometimes wish I went that direction. You've got a great plan with the car. I still never want to get out of mine each drive. You'll enjoy it the more you use it!

there might a factory wheel color change - I’m not a black on black - I don’t hate it - it’s just a bit too hard of a flex for me. Ha. Getting a second set of track wheels that I’ll leave black.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:07 PM
RWD7
Track Day

Originally Posted by WP0
Most importantly: learn how to drive it: go to a Porsche Experience Center to learn how to control the vehicle in extreme circumstances; sign up for an autocross; and sign up for a DE/track day with an instructor.
100% agree looking to do a weekend at Barber as well and making that a yearly trip for continuing education so to speak.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:19 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice, that I just learned with my 1 year ownership, READ the manual about checking oil level. Just changed oil and I kept getting oil level unavailable at this time. Man when you open the back lid, it really throws a wrench in the system.
RWD7 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 11:21 PM
elgato13
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with NHMacan, get it on a track and blow that engine sooner than later and then enjoy it for years to come.
RWD7 (06-28-2022)

Quick Reply: First GT3 - any advice or tips