Sponsored by:

991.1 G6 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 10:00 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 991.1 G6 oil leak

My 991.1 G engine had issues and was replaced with a G6 about six months ago under warranty. I broke the new engine in meticulously and had the oil changed shortly after the break-in period. About 800 miles into a long distance trip I got a yellow warning message about the oil being overfilled. I thought that was odd seeing as I'd driven 1000 miles or so since the oil change with no warnings. I reset the sensor by opening the oil cap to make it measure the oil again, it came back at five bars on the indicator (one shy of completely full) and all was green. I drove the car another 1500 miles or so over the next few days and it was perfect other than one more hiccup, at one point towards the end of the trip, just after I shifted to third from 9K rpm in second and continued to accelerate, the car kind of stuttered for an very brief moment and carried on. Other than that and the yellow over fill warning the car was solid as a rock with no problems over a long multi-day trip with lots of hard driving.

That was a couple of weeks ago, I took it out for the first time since then today. No warnings, oil gauge at five bars as it was before. I drove about 60 miles, hit the redline in first and second a few times then came home and noticed that the car had an oil leak, and a lot of it had slung itself over the rear bumper. Oil gauge is now three bars. I know its really rare for these cars to leak oil, so I'm a bit puzzled, especially with a brand new engine. I'm guessing that the overfill is the root cause, even in the absence of the warning message. I'm calling the dealer in the morning, but in the meantime, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Dub911; 06-19-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:26 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 89 Posts

The oil measurement is fickle, it doesn’t surprise me the overfill went away when you reset it. Also, an overfill isn’t the worst thing in the world on a dry sump motor.

Oil all over the back of the car is weird. Like actual oil or soot?
Old 06-19-2022, 11:14 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

> Oil all over the back of the car is weird. Like actual oil or soot?

A thin film of oil. I can see where its leaking from, about mid-way back under the engine, it dripped on the metal engine cover, then got sprayed out the back of the car.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:54 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Shortly after the engine was replaced in one of my gt3's it had what I thought was an oil leak but it turned out to be the PDK and was replaced since they could not fix the problem. Had the PDK fail in the other car after that worked fine like the other one but oil leak not repairable and was replaced with a rebuilt that did not work properly and was replaced with a new one. I hope yours turns out to be something very minor and repairable.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:28 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

I don't *think* its the PDK , simply because the oil gauge has dropped two notches since the leak started. I spoke with the dealer this morning, they were helpful and have arranged to pick the car up with covered transport to take it to the shop later today.
The following users liked this post:
itrsteve (06-21-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:14 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub911
I don't *think* its the PDK , simply because the oil gauge has dropped two notches since the leak started. I spoke with the dealer this morning, they were helpful and have arranged to pick the car up with covered transport to take it to the shop later today.
You should get the car on ramps or jack stands and take a quick look. Impossible to diagnose without a visual clue.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:16 PM
deserttours
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morocco Desert Tours

Explore Morocco Tours and Excursions, Sahara Desert Tours, Morocco Desert Tours from Marrakech and Fes. The magic of the Blue City, Imperial Cities sightseeing , seaside resorts, the rolling dunes of the Sahara Desert, or the peaks of High Atlas Mountains and Berber villages.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:12 AM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Shortly after the engine was replaced in one of my gt3's it had what I thought was an oil leak but it turned out to be the PDK and was replaced since they could not fix the problem. Had the PDK fail in the other car after that worked fine like the other one but oil leak not repairable and was replaced with a rebuilt that did not work properly and was replaced with a new one. I hope yours turns out to be something very minor and repairable.
What do you think caused the PDK failures? Did you drive your car mainly in manual mode or let the trans do the shifting on track and street?
Old 06-21-2022, 11:51 AM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Both .cars were used for mainly track in auto mode. I was never given a reason for failures could not fix oil leaks after several attemps on both, they both worked fine before the leaks.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:26 PM
sbonomo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently had a similar issue. Oil changed, overfill came on and went away then the car started leaking on the track. Mine was coming from the main seal on the motor (F series). It was covered under warranty after a ton of back and forth with the dealership and Porsche NA. They have had my car for almost 2-months. If the dealership will transport for you let them deal with it. If it is all over your bumper it is either a really bad leak (could be the drain plug or filter), bad gasket like i had or there could have been oil pushed through the top end of the motor and out of the tail pipes. Good luck, i hope yours is a quicker easier fix than mine.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:57 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbonomo
I recently had a similar issue. Oil changed, overfill came on and went away then the car started leaking on the track. Mine was coming from the main seal on the motor (F series). It was covered under warranty after a ton of back and forth with the dealership and Porsche NA. They have had my car for almost 2-months. If the dealership will transport for you let them deal with it. If it is all over your bumper it is either a really bad leak (could be the drain plug or filter), bad gasket like i had or there could have been oil pushed through the top end of the motor and out of the tail pipes. Good luck, i hope yours is a quicker easier fix than mine.
Two months? Man, that sucks. I waited nine weeks for the G6 replacement, I just sucked it up because I was getting a new engine. There was a thin film of oil over the rear bumper, at first I thought it was coming from the exhaust, but there wasn't a spot of oil inside the pipes and looking under the car it was clearly dripping from the engine. The dealer has been very helpful so far, they picked the car up yesterday and I'm told they will start work on it today. Fingers crossed for a quick fix.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:18 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

The service technician sent me a video of where they see the leak. There are two pipes that run from the oil tank to the engine, the point where they meet the engine is where the leak is occurring from what seems to be both pipes. Fix is to replace the oil tank. No ETA yet, but they diagnosed it quickly at least. Im baffled as to what could have caused this, its a brand new motor with only 5K miles on it. Logic tells me the root cause was the overfill, but that doesn't quite add up either because I drove the car for at least another 1000 miles after the initial warning. The car then sat for two weeks until I took it out for a spin on Sunday, and then the problem showed up.

Last edited by Dub911; 06-21-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:09 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

I was able to see a new gt3 on a lift at the dealer and it had a plastic oil tank, tech said it was changed because of oil leaks on 991 gt3.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:54 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 956 Posts

I was able to see a new gt3 on a lift at the dealer and it had a plastic oil tank, tech said it was changed because of oil leaks on 991 gt3.
Nothing to do with oil leaks. Change to plastic sump is due to weight savings and environmental reasons.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

The new oil tank is Carbon Fiber. The change may have been partially to help with leaks on the old welded metal tank from the 991, but the major reason it was re-designed is so that it would fit in the new GT4 RS (where the engine is mounted backwards).

Quick Reply: 991.1 G6 oil leak