Sponsored by:

991.1 G6 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 09:09 PM
sbonomo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub911
Two months? Man, that sucks. I waited nine weeks for the G6 replacement, I just sucked it up because I was getting a new engine. There was a thin film of oil over the rear bumper, at first I thought it was coming from the exhaust, but there wasn't a spot of oil inside the pipes and looking under the car it was clearly dripping from the engine. The dealer has been very helpful so far, they picked the car up yesterday and I'm told they will start work on it today. Fingers crossed for a quick fix.
parts....they had to order parts for mine from Germany. I have also been told that they are having a hard time staffing their service center. Very frustrating but the dealership did provide a loaner car (Macan) while it has been down. I asked to drive around the 992 GT3 they have on the lot while i was waiting but that didn't go over very well. Good luck, glad it was something stupid. Out of curiosity did you have misfires on the original motor? I was hoping this was my opportunity to get the new G motor but no such luck.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:09 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I worked it out with the dealer. They're going to cover the costs of replacing the oil tank, oil seals, and O-rings under warranty ($9K) and Ill have a loaner starting tomorrow. Hopefully it will be fixed and that will be the end of it. I'm still not completely sure why it started leaking in the first place.

Originally Posted by sbonomo
Out of curiosity did you have misfires on the original motor? I was hoping this was my opportunity to get the new G motor but no such luck.
No, I had one event where the car went into limp mode, no errors on the dash and nothing logged. I restarted the car and drove the hell out of it for hundreds of miles afterwards and it never came back. I was at the dealer for something unrelated and I mentioned it to the SA. He was on it immediately and said he suspected the finger follower issue but to prove it they would have to open the engine and visually inspect. It was a bit of a gamble because if they opened it and found nothing I would be on the hook for $6K of labor and parts. I took the gamble, and sure enough they found visual evidence on the cam lifters (IIRC) and Porsche approved the replacement. It took 9 weeks to get the engine. Personally, if I had an E, F, or G engine that was about to go out of warranty Id ask the dealer to open it up and inspect. Mine was a G with 17,000 miles when it went into limp mode.

Last edited by Dub911; 06-27-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 G6 oil leak