Sponsored by:

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 04:04 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
Revisiting this as I can’t source the rear Porsche spec tires from either Tire Rack or my local dealer (August). The fronts are available. The rears being the 305//30ZR20 (103Y) XL Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 tire. Dunlops are on back order as well (rears, not fronts).
Looks tile Tire rack has N1 Cup 2s in stock at least for my zip code. I am going to hold out for the Dunlops
Old 06-07-2022, 06:49 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

I tried a New Hampshire zip code (your location says NH) and rears are still on back order. Fronts they have. Does anybody know what the Cup Two Connect tire is? They have those but not sure if that’s a viable option. I may get the fronts they have and talk to the dealer about the other specs for the rears. I’m not tracking it but if there’s one place I want traction it’s the rear!
Old 06-07-2022, 07:13 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I tried a New Hampshire zip code (your location says NH) and rears are still on back order. Fronts they have. Does anybody know what the Cup Two Connect tire is? They have those but not sure if that’s a viable option. I may get the fronts they have and talk to the dealer about the other specs for the rears. I’m not tracking it but if there’s one place I want traction it’s the rear!
Sorry, I missed the “can be delivered when available” because it actually lets you put them in a cart.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:29 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
You mentioned Tire Rack, so I checked, Both OEM tires, the MPSC2 N1 spec and the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2 are available. I would go with the Dunlops. I've used both, and have had better overall experience with the Dunlops.
Love the Dunlop Maxx Race. Get them heat cycled. Have a fresh set on the car and 2 more sets waiting for me in reserve. Trofeo Rs are ok for really cold or wet weather. Sitting out for cold and wet is even better.
The following users liked this post:
NHmacan (06-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 10:28 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I would recommend these instead, since you say you are not tracking the car. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ramic%20Brakes More than enough traction for street driving, even aggressive street driving, and they are available NOW at TireRack. I certainly would not mix different brands/types for front and rears.

EDIT: NVM. I also just now saw that they don't say out of stock, but do say "will be delivered when available". Games vendors play. Anyway, the tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S N0. They are the 4 season tires in Porsche spec. You can go ask if your dealer has them.

Last edited by Palting; 06-08-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:40 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Appreciated. Inventory for all sorts of things is way out of whack. Someone had asked earlier about what happens if you legitimately can’t use the rear tire (flat, etc). Mine are just worn so I can still drive. I guess they just take one of the non Porsche spec ones and call it a day. My dealer quoted me August. I can’t imagine parking the car until August!
Old 06-08-2022, 03:14 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

All - I am not a big fan of the MPSC2 on track. Sure, they are ok but I think others are much better. I was pinging TireRack and DiscountTire for options. Discount Tire is annoying because they list a size, let you buy it then a day later they send you an email or text that says they can't get that size. I spoke with someone there and they sent me this on the 2 options I like.

The Pirelli Pzero Trofeo R in the rear size (Item# 37804) have actually been discontinued. The front’s are currently in production with an estimated ETA of 45 days out but if we cannot get the rears, I don’t know how beneficial just the fronts would be. The Goodyear Eagles (Item # 49546) have also been discontinued which I believe we discussed but I just wanted to clarify just in case we did not. I wish I had better news but like we discussed, manufacturers simply are not making these performance tires unfortunately

I personally the Trofeo R is the bomb - its a magnificent tire for the track and some say that its only a little slower than the Hoosier R7 which is great for a street tire. Of course, they go off after about 3 -4 days at most. The Goodyear Eagle 3R seems almost as good but I can't get in the fronts. The only other option seems to be the Dunlops that came on my car (very expensive), MPSC2 R - very very expensive. I have used Toyo R888R on my other car but never this car. Would have to compare but others say the Toyos are a bit out of date these days (meaning not up to today's standards). Nanking or Hankook are options too - not sure where to get them. I think there is a thread about the Hankook's that they are noisy as hell. My car mostly is tracked or driving to the track - I use it more for those purposes than just street driving.

Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2022, 03:27 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I replaced the MC2 tires on my GT3 with MPS4s tires. I find them just fine for HPDE track events, plus they are great on the street,
But I only go for fun and don't even time my laps.

Last edited by parkerfe; 06-08-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:10 PM
edcli
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked into Connect's earlier this year but my dealer was able to secure SC2's.
Connect's are somewhere in between 4S's and SC2's in aggressiveness. If street only, maybe 4S's make more sense. You are not going to need the temperature and track time measurement functionality of Connects.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:48 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by edcli
I looked into Connect's earlier this year but my dealer was able to secure SC2's.
Connect's are somewhere in between 4S's and SC2's in aggressiveness. If street only, maybe 4S's make more sense. You are not going to need the temperature and track time measurement functionality of Connects.
The good thing with the MPS4s tires on my GT3 is that I have over 20,000 miles including 5 HPDE track events on them and they still have plenty of thread.
leonidas1911 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Ascetic
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm starting to get concerned. I have tires until about end of July. What to do about all the track days in August and September. I think I might have to resort to Ferrari K1 rears because I'm desperate. But who knows, those might be gone by August as well.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:31 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how (or if) I can determine if the MPSC2s are Porsche (N1) spec if the site doesn't specify? I know I can find them on Tire Rack, but Discount Tire has these, and I see no designation of any kind. I guess they're just generic, non-manufacturer-specific tires?
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-cup-2/p/39658

On another note, would you guys recommend the Dunlops for someone who wants some reasonable street-ability? The car only gets about 2K miles per year, and a few hundred of those will be track miles, but I'd like the tires to be at least reasonable on the street... even if just for the drives to/from the track.

FWIW, I might not belong here, as I have a GT4, not a 911
Old 06-14-2022, 07:56 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

N spec Porsche tires were designed for these cars. (GT4 or otherwise - and hey RocketGuy3, welcome - in fact I had to go to the GT3 forum to get info on how to put brake studs on my calipers as someone there had a great write up).

The GT3 came with Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2 (my car did) or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (most cars). Both are very good for track and do fine on street. Once worn down though (say to half or below), they are not going to be a good wet tire at all. When you read reviews about wet, they are full tread wet but when you wear down, you get not much. For street, the only issue with worry besides that is being too soft - like Hoosier R7. You can't run that on the street. People do but then they risk a blowout (hit a pothole or anything wrong and it will puncture) - technically they are DOT tires but they are really slicks. So forget those. But all other tires are just a tradeoff for grip vs. wear (ultimately price).

Oh back to your question about N spec. After talking to a number of folks, we have ascertained that the main difference has to do with sidewall stiffness related to weight, weight distribution relative to the car. N spec was designed for all of that and if it doesn't say it, its not. For instance, on the Pirellis, there is a Mclaren spec, a Lambo spec and then everything else. I contacted Pirelli and it turns out the 'everything else' is the better tire for my car (and cheaper too!). On the Michelins, are you going to notice a difference? I would guess its possible but doubtful. I've not looked up tires for the GT4 but hey, you might want to just try them out and see for yourself.

But if you can find the Goodyear Supercar 3 (comparable to the Michelins) or 3R (comparable to the Pirellis) you will probably like them. They are cheaper than the competition and very good. Some others have tried Nanking but I've heard they are loud on the street so don't go that route.

Nothing wrong with the Michelins or Dunlops really. I just found that I push the car harder and Pirellis work better. I wish I could get the Goodyear Supercar 3R in my size but it seems I can't get all 4 (usually only rears - they are just not making fronts in the right size).

You can go up to 255 and I'm going to try 265 in front - there are some threads on that. Less understeer == happy driver. But you need more camber otherwise you risk rubbing.

Last edited by srwhitman; 06-14-2022 at 08:00 PM.
RocketGuy3 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:49 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
N spec Porsche tires were designed for these cars. (GT4 or otherwise - and hey RocketGuy3, welcome - in fact I had to go to the GT3 forum to get info on how to put brake studs on my calipers as someone there had a great write up).

The GT3 came with Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2 (my car did) or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (most cars). Both are very good for track and do fine on street. Once worn down though (say to half or below), they are not going to be a good wet tire at all. When you read reviews about wet, they are full tread wet but when you wear down, you get not much. For street, the only issue with worry besides that is being too soft - like Hoosier R7. You can't run that on the street. People do but then they risk a blowout (hit a pothole or anything wrong and it will puncture) - technically they are DOT tires but they are really slicks. So forget those. But all other tires are just a tradeoff for grip vs. wear (ultimately price).

Oh back to your question about N spec. After talking to a number of folks, we have ascertained that the main difference has to do with sidewall stiffness related to weight, weight distribution relative to the car. N spec was designed for all of that and if it doesn't say it, its not. For instance, on the Pirellis, there is a Mclaren spec, a Lambo spec and then everything else. I contacted Pirelli and it turns out the 'everything else' is the better tire for my car (and cheaper too!). On the Michelins, are you going to notice a difference? I would guess its possible but doubtful. I've not looked up tires for the GT4 but hey, you might want to just try them out and see for yourself.

But if you can find the Goodyear Supercar 3 (comparable to the Michelins) or 3R (comparable to the Pirellis) you will probably like them. They are cheaper than the competition and very good. Some others have tried Nanking but I've heard they are loud on the street so don't go that route.

Nothing wrong with the Michelins or Dunlops really. I just found that I push the car harder and Pirellis work better. I wish I could get the Goodyear Supercar 3R in my size but it seems I can't get all 4 (usually only rears - they are just not making fronts in the right size).

You can go up to 255 and I'm going to try 265 in front - there are some threads on that. Less understeer == happy driver. But you need more camber otherwise you risk rubbing.
Thank you for all the info! I found the Porsche spec PSC2s at my dealer, for a fairly similar price. Decided to go with that... better the devil I know, I suppose. I should probably try something new, but these tires [when at their best] already offer levels of grip that put the car very close to my current capabilities on track anyway, hah.

That's interesting about the front tire sizes, though. Do you think I will need more neg camber even with "just" 255s? I think I maxed out the camber in stock form, so I will probably need camber plates if I want anymore.

Quick Reply: Tire question