Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS Prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 12:14 PM
AgsWin
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question 991.2 GT3 RS Prices

Been looking for a low mileage 991.2 RS and stumbled across an add from March 2021 for a dialed in one with Weissach and 5000 miles for $219k. Now I can't find anything under $265k. Am I a fool for trying to get into one now? Surely once the 2023 is released and we get back on track with chip shortage and supply chain these numbers will come back down to earth? I was dead set on finally getting into one but just seems crazy at this point, afraid that I am buying at the exact wrong time, financially speaking
Old 05-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts

I think of my Porsche/weekend car similar to primary residences. I always plan to own one, so I have two options:

One is to buy now and enjoy it, knowing that it could go up or down, but likely the same relative to other cars that I might want to buy or upgrade to down the road. Meaning, if I buy a GT3 and two years from now I want an RS, my GT3 could go up or down in price...likely similar percentage wise to the RS that I could have bought at the same time.

The other option is to try to time the market, but I've learned the past few years I'm extremely bad at it and unlikely to be so unlucky that I buy at the top and unlikely to be so unlucky that I won't be able to time the bottom.

My $.02
The following 2 users liked this post by Ro_Ja Boy:
dbv1 (05-04-2022), Doug N (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:27 PM
BergGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Summer is here and pricing will likely hold. Even with the 23 RS coming that’s 6-12 mo before they start delivering and I’m sure will be well over $350 with ADM and flips thus $275-295 is still a good price. If you find a good one then buy it and enjoy.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:32 PM
AgsWin
Instructor

Thanks for that, I just sold my house for top of the market and bought a fixer upper off market for a steal, so that tells you my mindset.

Also, I have never owned a 911, so I guess my question is, does it go up and down like the housing market or is this an anomaly? Is it only the 19 RS that jumped so much and is it better if I am in and out of cars to get a 992 TTS or a Carrera S and wait for deflation?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:47 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends on how long you want to keep the car. Like Berg mentioned, the 992 RS is likely to be priced at $350k with ADM. When that price comes down over time the 991.2 RS will also drop. I would expect the 991.2 RS to be quite a bit cheaper 2-3 years from now.

The current high price is an anomaly due to inventory shortages and all Porsches have gone up in price but the RS more than others due to rarity.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:42 PM
JRoman21
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AgsWin
Been looking for a low mileage 991.2 RS and stumbled across an add from March 2021 for a dialed in one with Weissach and 5000 miles for $219k. Now I can't find anything under $265k. Am I a fool for trying to get into one now? Surely once the 2023 is released and we get back on track with chip shortage and supply chain these numbers will come back down to earth? I was dead set on finally getting into one but just seems crazy at this point, afraid that I am buying at the exact wrong time, financially speaking
I am in the same boat as you trying to determine what to do. I have a manual GT3 now that I love but i just drove a RS last weekend and I felt like that car was a different animal. So much so it perked my interest to dive deeper. So i proceed to make a spreadsheet of currently available RS on the market local/nationwide based on certain specs, mileage although my needs were pretty broad.

My spreadsheet notes 42 cars that meet my spec varying in price from $259-300K pending options, mileage, etc. I feel like that is quite a lot. Average asking price for Weissach cars is $282K with Non-Weissach at $272K. I have 4 cars available cars within 30 miles of me and most of these ones on the market are from 992 GT3 buyers who finally got their cars. This is happening elsewhere too so I think supply will remain pretty constant on these in near term.

I think if one was diligent in their buying, they could get a 'good deal'. That's the stage I currently am in. I also personally agree with @BergGt3 that when the new RS cars come out, we will be looking at seriously high ADM numbers on those so there will be a spread/delta on those vs .2 RS cars. What the spread might be is anyone's guess though.

I feel that if i find an ideal spec and what I feel is a 'good' price on it, then I am going to pull the trigger. Thats going to make me happier than trying to time any market. I feel others might be happy if they took a similar approach.

Good luck in your search!
The following users liked this post:
pbsis (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 04:40 PM
Lucid Moment
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't hold my breath for prices to come down any time soon, if at all. Certainly not pre covid prices. Lot's of factors obviously contributing to this. Will supply catch up with the demand?

I'd buy the spec you want and enjoy now if you are able to, never know what happens tomorrow.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lucid Moment:
bogey1 (05-05-2022), catdog2 (05-04-2022), ParadiseGT3 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 04:59 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 170 Posts

I dont think prices are going to drop measurably anytime soon, however, with interest rates rising and the inevitable stabilizing of supply chains I dont think they are going to keep going up either. If I have a car now, I am driving/enjoying it and seeing where the market is in 8-12 months.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:42 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

As we get closer to hybrid and all electric no one really knows what the ICE CARS will do. I sense the market is looking at the last ICE cars especially NA's as there will be the last of a long great run. I have a 400 mile Wessich that I intend to hold on to until I am done.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:57 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

wow, very tempted to sell my RS. 2019 RS w/ 7000ish miles. MSRP was $217k.
  • White (currently wrapped in Inozetek Miami Blue - See avatar). Front bumper and hood are triple wrapped (original PPF, Blue vinyl, new PPF on top) with entire front end wrapped and side rockers to most of rear quarter covered in PPF. Car was detailed & polished prior to wrapping. No scratches anywhere except on spoiler deck at the trailing edge where previous owner had 2 small nicks.
  • Bucket seats with bolster covers and angle bracket on driver's side
  • FAL
  • Extended gas tank
  • White guages
  • Illuminated sills
  • Carbon fiber floor mats
  • Currently has Soul full exhaust setup. I have stock exhaust/cats.
I've never tracked it. Not sure if previous owner did but doubt it as the paint had no rock chips at all and paint was excellent.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:07 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoman21
I am in the same boat as you trying to determine what to do. I have a manual GT3 now that I love but i just drove a RS last weekend and I felt like that car was a different animal. So much so it perked my interest to dive deeper. So i proceed to make a spreadsheet of currently available RS on the market local/nationwide based on certain specs, mileage although my needs were pretty broad.
My brother from a different mother! I did the same thing - a large spreadsheet that tracked VIN, MSRP, asking price (and delta between them), seller, color, owners, mileage, features and little things like whether it had deviated stitching or other color bits in the interior (I hate a car that's boring on the inside). It also had a finance calculator for figuring my TAVT, monthly payment (I always finance some and pay some cash), etc.

Every time I try to show my wife and start going into my rationale and choices and pros/cons, she just shakes her head and walks away saying, "Get whatever you want."

Last edited by gravedgr; 05-04-2022 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JRoman21 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:32 PM
famoruwa
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

FWIW:

You can also see the sales trend on prices of cars, including the GT3 RS here: https://www.classic.com/m/porsche/911/991/9912/gt3-rs/
Old 05-04-2022, 10:41 PM
JRoman21
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by famoruwa
FWIW:
You can also see the sales trend on prices of cars, including the GT3 RS here: https://www.classic.com/m/porsche/911/991/9912/gt3-rs/
This is a good, informative video but purely subjective. He makes a lot of valid points but I also feel his title vs his data/facts are a bit misleading. What he is saying is that IF you are buying a RS now to flip, then its the wrong time to do so. BUT, if you are buying to own and drive, then supply and demand are currently slowly balancing out and values should remain relatively steady in the near term.

Pending one's buying initiative, they should think it through with a clear mind. I suppose that should be obvious but we have been proven wrong so many times over with people speculating (who really shouldnt be) to try and become rich only to lose it all. I suppose you can only help those you help themselves. :-)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:30 AM
AgsWin
Instructor

Great info here. Everybody is telling me to pay cash but I I would prefer to use my cash to buy some rental properties and get a loan. The local Porsche dealer said that a 75- or 84-month rate would be in the 7's. That seems really high, even with interest rates going up. For you that have financed, does that seem unusually high or is that accurate for a used high value car?
Old 05-05-2022, 05:14 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

If GT car pricing had run up at any point that wasn't in sync with a crazy post-pandemic asset bubble that included things as far ranging as lumber and whiskey, I'd maybe think there was a point that current prices are sustainable. In early 2020 we knew that ICE engines were coming to an end and GT cars were still doing what they typically did for their entire existence, slowly depreciate and hold their value after a few years. Hard to see prices staying where they are in the face of tech stocks losing half their value, bitcoin being down >35% YoY, interest rates going up, etc which will all affect the demand side. The supply side will eventually resolve itself as well. Prices are sticky downwards so wouldn't expect any dramatic moves and certainly not in the near-term. Question is more....do you want to wait 2 years for maybe a 10% reduction in price? If you can afford it, might as well drive and enjoy now.
The following 3 users liked this post by maroli:
bogey1 (05-09-2022), Ro_Ja Boy (05-05-2022), spyderbret (05-05-2022)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS Prices