Play in the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 02:55 PM
Derfe48
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Play in the wheel

Hello,

I have a 991 GT3 RS, I bought the car on the 22 december some kind of christmas gift to myself may be ;-)
35000km (21750 miles)
Bought from a Porsche dealer, according to the sale guy, he knew the previous owner and the car did less than 10% on track (so approx. 2175 miles)
I have been on track, the car was fantastic !
When trying to fix my first small issue (see my other thread here I started about a noise, but not a "worn bearing noise") I found a very small play in left front wheel.
So tiny that you really have to pay attention to feel the small movement of the wheel in hands. I have to first push at 7 oclock (no play then) then push at 1 oclock and then feel this little movement only at 1 oclock.
In other word, there is no jiggle back and forth or side to side. It's almost not even repeteable each time.
Brought the car to my Porsche dealer in France (bought the car in Germany) and there were totally useless.
I said let me show you the play
Them : No you can't come in the workshop and we are not going to check it right away anyway.
Me : your mechanic is not going to feel it, and I would rather do it now please, it's a 5 minutes thing.
Them : No, we will call you back.
One hour later I get a call from Porsche dealer : We didn't find any play, please pay us usd100
Had to come with my jack, lift my car on the parking lot of the Porsche dealer, tell the guy to come : Let me show you // Oh yes you are right !!!
I wasted an hour thanks, and had to come with my jack !

Anyway....As I said the play is really small, you absolutely can't feel it in the steering wheel when driving and it seems that it's too soon for the 6000 miles track maintenance.
(well....maybe my car did more track miles....)
No noise like a worn bearing.
May be it's only the very begining of a worn bearing or something lile that.

My question is : Is this play normal maybe ? Have you ever feel something like that in your car and stated everything was normal ?
I don't think so but as my Porsche dealer is useless I come here to ask.

The car still overthere and they have to check with another 991 GT3RS if it's the same. Oh great there is one in their show room with more miles than mine, let's do it while I am still here !
Nope, we can't do it now because blablabla......

Neither they can't ask someone competent at Porsche
I know it sound like I am an idiot about this "too small play" but as I am tracking the car I would prefer to know.

I think I will buy new or nearly new my next car (GT4RS), I am tired of this !
thanks for your help and sorry for my english !

Last edited by Derfe48; 02-22-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:00 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Wheel wiggle test

Other times, a bad bearing doesn’t even make a sound. But to test whether a bearing has gone bad, you can either put your car up on a lift or put it up on jack stands, then grip your hands on either the 3 and 9 o’clock or the 6 and 12 o’clock positions of the tire, then try to wiggle the wheel back and forth. If the wheel does wiggle, chances are it has a bad bearing or bad suspension pieces like ball joints or tie-rod ends.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/...a2600-20190731
Old 02-23-2022, 08:51 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

You may have another issue. The wheel was not torqued properly by the dealer or previous owner and it now has play in the mating surfaces of the CL nut and possibly your wheel CL mating surface is no longer perfect. Did you try re-torquing the wheel with it off the ground and then check for play. Try this and report back.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:59 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the strut. Take the wheel off and grab at the coilover lock/perch and see if you feel it.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:49 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
You may have another issue. The wheel was not torqued properly by the dealer or previous owner and it now has play in the mating surfaces of the CL nut and possibly your wheel CL mating surface is no longer perfect. Did you try re-torquing the wheel with it off the ground and then check for play. Try this and report back.
It's possible that the wheel was not torque properly at some point before. But they retorqued the wheel at the Porsche dealer and the play still here.
I understand that if at some point the wheel was not torque properly it's possible that it damaged the CL and/or the wheel mating surface. Anyway I will keep an eye on this play.

I might go to the nurburgring in march (only 4 hours by car from my place) and maybe a small and very twisty track before, I love those small technical tracks.

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the strut. Take the wheel off and grab at the coilover lock/perch and see if you feel it.
Will check that too next time the wheel is off.

Thank you very much (the 3 of you) for your help, I appreciate. It's such a good forum here.

BTW I'am now familiar with CL removal and retorque procedure. I have 2 ways to do it with tools I just bought : a very long wrench (47") OR a torque multiplier 5:1 with a smaller wrench.
Both way are OK for me, not too much trouble.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:31 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

My experience with the GT3 RS is you have to go to a good race shop. The dealers are just not good with these "bespoke" issues/concerns.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:02 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Check the nut, the mating surface on the wheel, and the hub axle surface that the wheel rides on too. Then also check for any play in both ends of every suspension linkage that attaches to the hub.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:05 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

Originally Posted by rcg412
My experience with the GT3 RS is you have to go to a good race shop. The dealers are just not good with these "bespoke" issues/concerns.
I guess so ! Unfortunatley no good race shop in my area or.... I still have to find it.
I wish Manthey Racing was not 4 hours away, they are the best.

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Check the nut, the mating surface on the wheel, and the hub axle surface that the wheel rides on too. Then also check for any play in both ends of every suspension linkage that attaches to the hub.
I will do so.

Thanks guys
Old 02-26-2024, 11:30 PM
Doug F
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingatBOM
Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm assuming you replaced your struts and the issue went away?

Originally Posted by Derfe48
I guess so ! Unfortunatley no good race shop in my area or.... I still have to find it.
I wish Manthey Racing was not 4 hours away, they are the best.

I will do so.

Thanks guys
Did you ever get your issue resolved?

I have the same problem. If you grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, there is a little bit of play. I replaced the wheel bearing thinking that would fix the issue, but the play is still there.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:57 AM
Derfe48
Advanced

I went to Manthey Racing and it was a complete difference experience than my local dealer.

They took the car right away, invited me to come in the workshop and then told me it was perfectly normal.
They made me grab the coilover (at the lock or perk ? I can't remember) and at this place you can clearly feel the play but it's normal.

I think we even checked on others cars.

I'am sorry if you had to replace whereas it was not necessary.
The following 2 users liked this post by Derfe48:
Doug F (02-28-2024), marcus1982 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:59 AM
Doug F
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Derfe48
I went to Manthey Racing and it was a complete difference experience than my local dealer.

They took the car right away, invited me to come in the workshop and then told me it was perfectly normal.
They made me grab the coilover (at the lock or perk ? I can't remember) and at this place you can clearly feel the play but it's normal.

I think we even checked on others cars.

I'am sorry if you had to replace whereas it was not necessary.
Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Play in the wheel