Sponsored by:

My impressions of the 488 Spider I test drove

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 11:23 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts
Default My impressions of the 488 Spider I test drove

I had a verbal trade value for my GT2/488 price agreement at Ferrari of Scottsdale so flew out to Phoenix to do a personal inspection and test drive on Monday/Tuesday. My salesman told me the car had been inspected and received the Ferrari CPO designation and included a two year factory warranty. He further told me the car had been fully detailed including and full interior detail and was covered and waiting for me on Tuesday. I arrived at the predesignated 10:00 am appointment and upon a quick inspection it was obvious the car hadn't even been washed, but it still looked good. The salesman rode with me on the first test drive showing me what all the controls were for (which there are many and as this was my first Ferrari I was a little overwhelmed, so it was good to have him along), when we got to some open roads he told me to go ahead and go and get to know the car. I declined as I wasn't sure if the car was up to operating temps yet and the info screen wasn't showing any temp gauges so I just putted along and let myself become familiar with the steering feel and the brakes. When we got back to the dealer, I then went on about a 20-minute drive with my brother. I was sure the car was up to operating temperature by then and so I explored the envelope a little bit.
My Impressions: I loved the sound...it was chilly so we didn't drive with the top down, but I did lower the rear window a few times (great feature BTW). It didn't have the 700 HP rumble of the GT2 at idle and just off idle but everywhere else it did sound better than my GT2. The steering was quicker at turn in, which I actually liked better....felt very stable. The brakes grabbed much quicker, like so much quicker I really had to recalibrate. The car had CCB's like my GT2 and they felt similarly robust in pulling the car down from 145 mph, just with much quicker grab...I liked the 488's brake feel better, also the quick grab felt better to me. As to overall acceleration and engine feel, the car was PLENTY fast, felt faster than my C7 650 HP Z06 and the lack of torque some warned me about in the 488 never caught my attention, the car performed perfectly and was very fast...just not quite GT2 fast. My overall impression was I liked how the 488 drove more than how my GT2 drives. At least on the street.

I did not complete the purchase, I thought they made a fair trade offer for my GT2 but the 488 had more miles than I thought the ad said and beyond lying to me about the car having been detailed and waiting covered for me, the car had not been CPO'd, When I noted that to the GM he took me back to see their Master Mechanic to look at the car with. I asked the mechanic about the CPO inspection, and he told me, this is the first time i am seeing the car. We put it up on the rack and he walked me through the stuff I asked about. He said he would have the inspection report to my salesman and the GM before COB on Tuesday. The inspection showed almost 40% wear on both front CCB brakes and the car was a little bit rough compared to my GT2 so i just could not make the trade. But I was extremely impressed with how it drove, and I definitely have Ferrari 488 fever so while I also LOVE my GT2 I am going to still going to watch both markets going forward and might yet make a move to the prancing horse sometime in the future. For now I am "stuck", haha, driving a GT2 RS, which feels pretty damn good p.s. the dealer (salesman) kind of pissed me off with all the misrepresentations but to be fair the engine did not have a leak and it was priced the lowest I had found so that is probably why it was a little cosmetically "rough" compared to my car.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 01-21-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:37 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

GT2 will always be more special than a 488, and sounds good you walked away. Sometimes good to enjoy what you have if you like it unless adding another car for the experience. Porsche is a staple car me and add fun stuff around it.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (01-24-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:58 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

Ferrari's are a bit more tactile and have more sensitive controls but I would hold on to your GT2RS and don't trade it in for anything... The novelty of the 488 feel with diminish over time and you will come to regret trade-in a few years from now...
Old 01-21-2022, 12:31 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

Doesn't surprise me, a lot of these dealers are in the "if you don't want it someone else will" mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
PatrickBateman (01-24-2022), usrodeo4 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:06 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you liked the 488 but not that particular example. The great thing is your perfect spec and example is sure to show up one day. In the mean time you can still enjoy one of the greatest cars ever produced.

I recently bought an F12 but because of the weather up here haven't had the time to truly explore its potential. I can say that what everyone says about the "experience" of just sitting in a Ferrari makes sense but I am far more apprehensive driving it anywhere than the GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by strettyend:
Manda Racing (01-24-2022), usrodeo4 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:17 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

This is off topic but an ironic story about Ferrari of Scottsdale a long time ago. First, the back story. I had my Ferraris serviced there. Never had a problem. Everything was first rate. At the time, the president of the Ferrari Club was a young guy in his early 20s. He lived and breathed Ferraris. Very enthusiastic about the club. He did a great job. But he didn't own a Ferrari. Some day he would. Of course not owning a Ferrari is not a requirement to join the club or be the president.

Now the story. Ferrari of Scottsdale was delivering their first Enzo. It was a black tie event. Employees were in black tuxes or black suits. The dealership had beautiful models dressed in black serving champagne. The Enzo was in the center of the showroom draped in a red Ferrari cover. It was truly a first class event. Everyone was waiting for the future owner to arrive. The club president is there but not in a tux. He wore regular jeans and buttoned shirt. Jumping ahead in the story. After the event, the club president was removed from his position because he wore jeans, I guess he was an embarrassment to the event and club.

Here's the good part. The new owner, a dotcom millionaire, drives up. He arrives in an original McLaren F1. The car is orange and the license plate reads SUBTLE. There's was nothing about the car that was subtle. Great plate. Here's the kicker. He gets out of the car in jeans and t-shirt. No black tie for him.

As an aside, I used to see Jenna Jameson driving her Lambo around Scottsdale. Damn that was a sexy combination.
The following 9 users liked this post by n2cars:
911Vintage (01-24-2022), AlexCeres (01-21-2022), Jason Zhang (01-22-2022), pepinozaur (01-22-2022), Perimeter (01-21-2022), rominl (01-22-2022), TheDangerZone (01-22-2022), usrodeo4 (01-21-2022), wisky (01-23-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:50 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
Sounds like you liked the 488 but not that particular example. The great thing is your perfect spec and example is sure to show up one day. In the mean time you can still enjoy one of the greatest cars ever produced.

I recently bought an F12 but because of the weather up here haven't had the time to truly explore its potential. I can say that what everyone says about the "experience" of just sitting in a Ferrari makes sense but I am far more apprehensive driving it anywhere than the GT3.
I have to admit I do have some not buying remorse. It was perfectly spec'd for me and it was just another level cool to drive a red mid engine Ferrari. As I own a GT2 I wasn't expecting to be terribly impressed. The fact that I was extremely impressed with the driving experience really came as a big surprise. We shall see.
pdxjim (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:16 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Over a decade ago the FCA membership in Scottsdale was at just 92 members which yielded a paltry budget for a Christmas party and the club was havng difficulty coming up with any sort of party.
Prospects looked dismal.
Then I saw Gary Simon of Scottsdale Ferrari stand up in an FCA meeting and proclaim "It is all taken care of at our expense" and he quickly sat down.
Gary cleared out the showroom floor, rented proper tables, placed all guests front an center, hosted a grand meal for all attendees, hired a DJ for entertainment, paid for full bar, and even covered the costs of award gifts and prizes to make it truly a festive occasion.

I was impressed at how Ferrari of Scottsdale supported the club as everything was first rate.
After being a club member for 26 years spanning across 5 chapters, I had never seen such exquisite generosity and comraderie to the club members by a dealership.

Last edited by Perimeter; 01-21-2022 at 08:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Perimeter:
IrwinMFletcher (01-22-2022), Manda Racing (01-24-2022), usrodeo4 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 10:22 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 488 spider

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I have to admit I do have some not buying remorse. It was perfectly spec'd for me and it was just another level cool to drive a red mid engine Ferrari. As I own a GT2 I wasn't expecting to be terribly impressed. The fact that I was extremely impressed with the driving experience really came as a big surprise. We shall see.
I was at MAG in Dublin, OH yesterday when the Ferrari salesman showed me a red 2019 488 spider they had just taken in on trade from one of their customers who lives in Naples, FL during the winter. Car was pristine and still had the bulk of the 7 year maintenance warranty in force. I know the dealership from having my GT3s serviced there, otherwise no affiliation. May be worth a call if you haven't given up on a mid engine Ferrari.
usrodeo4 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:23 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,163 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I had a verbal trade value for my GT2/488 price agreement at Ferrari of Scottsdale so flew out to Phoenix to do a personal inspection and test drive on Monday/Tuesday. My salesman told me the car had been inspected and received the Ferrari CPO designation and included a two year factory warranty. He further told me the car had been fully detailed including and full interior detail and was covered and waiting for me on Tuesday. I arrived at the predesignated 10:00 am appointment and upon a quick inspection it was obvious the car hadn't even been washed, but it still looked good. The salesman rode with me on the first test drive showing me what all the controls were for (which there are many and as this was my first Ferrari I was a little overwhelmed, so it was good to have him along), when we got to some open roads he told me to go ahead and go and get to know the car. I declined as I wasn't sure if the car was up to operating temps yet and the info screen wasn't showing any temp gauges so I just putted along and let myself become familiar with the steering feel and the brakes. When we got back to the dealer, I then went on about a 20-minute drive with my brother. I was sure the car was up to operating temperature by then and so I explored the envelope a little bit.
My Impressions: I loved the sound...it was chilly so we didn't drive with the top down, but I did lower the rear window a few times (great feature BTW). It didn't have the 700 HP rumble of the GT2 at idle and just off idle but everywhere else it did sound better than my GT2. The steering was quicker at turn in, which I actually liked better....felt very stable. The brakes grabbed much quicker, like so much quicker I really had to recalibrate. The car had CCB's like my GT2 and they felt similarly robust in pulling the car down from 145 mph, just with much quicker grab...I liked the 488's brake feel better, also the quick grab felt better to me. As to overall acceleration and engine feel, the car was PLENTY fast, felt faster than my C7 650 HP Z06 and the lack of torque some warned me about in the 488 never caught my attention, the car performed perfectly and was very fast...just not quite GT2 fast. My overall impression was I liked how the 488 drove more than how my GT2 drives. At least on the street.

I did not complete the purchase, I thought they made a fair trade offer for my GT2 but the 488 had more miles than I thought the ad said and beyond lying to me about the car having been detailed and waiting covered for me, the car had not been CPO'd, When I noted that to the GM he took me back to see their Master Mechanic to look at the car with. I asked the mechanic about the CPO inspection, and he told me, this is the first time i am seeing the car. We put it up on the rack and he walked me through the stuff I asked about. He said he would have the inspection report to my salesman and the GM before COB on Tuesday. The inspection showed almost 40% wear on both front CCB brakes and the car was a little bit rough compared to my GT2 so i just could not make the trade. But I was extremely impressed with how it drove, and I definitely have Ferrari 488 fever so while I also LOVE my GT2 I am going to still going to watch both markets going forward and might yet make a move to the prancing horse sometime in the future. For now I am "stuck", haha, driving a GT2 RS, which feels pretty damn good p.s. the dealer (salesman) kind of pissed me off with all the misrepresentations but to be fair the engine did not have a leak and it was priced the lowest I had found so that is probably why it was a little cosmetically "rough" compared to my car.
You went to quite possibly the worst dealership on planet earth. That's why you didn't buy the car. Two trips over there in my lifetime and two strikes. Don't think they'll ever earn my business. They're my local dealer... They also low balled me well over $30k over a California F dealer on trade AND they fibbed the digits on the buy order proposal. My brother saw a former colleague in there working as a salesman, huge sleezeball back then and a bigger sleezeball now. My brother refused to even stay inside the dealership after the encounter and told me horror stories about the guy. The 488 I looked at was a stripper and I found multiple loaded one owner 488's in CA/TX for a cheaper price PLUS Ferrari CPO. Even a close friend who is as genuine as one can be despises Scottsdale Ferrari and he is a high profile customer with an Enzo an La Ferrari in his stable.

Im surprised you even got a test drive. Best of luck with your search... IMO, keep the GT2.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:22 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

I think that little bird that told you not to go through with the 488 deal is telling you to check out the 458 speciale
The following 2 users liked this post by evil panda:
Mthrice (01-22-2022), RockyTopTenn (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 10:29 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 163 Posts

Very, very different cars... I've tracked them both. You don't really track and if ur looking for a road car grab more of a touring, tts, f8, 488, 812 as they are all fun on the road.
Manda Racing (01-24-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 12:38 PM
ddugas01

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I tracked a 488 Pista and a GT2RS back to back. I loved the Pista and it handled better than the GT2. I’m envious of anyone who owns either. For me, the GT2 is a track car and the 488 is a street car. The 488 has too much Italian luxury to beat it up on the track. Love the look, feel & sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by ddugas01:
Manda Racing (01-24-2022), usrodeo4 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 03:36 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ddugas01
I tracked a 488 Pista and a GT2RS back to back. I loved the Pista and it handled better than the GT2. I’m envious of anyone who owns either. For me, the GT2 is a track car and the 488 is a street car. The 488 has too much Italian luxury to beat it up on the track. Love the look, feel & sound.
Pista is very different and much more in line with the gt2rs... That said, a lot more maintenance, etc.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:47 AM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you made a good decision not to buy this 488. Sorry about the dealer wasting your time.
good luck 🍀
Faster48 (01-24-2022)

Quick Reply: My impressions of the 488 Spider I test drove